Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BT infinity compatability

protodoc
Aspirant

BT infinity compatability

I have been happily using the Netgear D6300 WiFi DSL modem router along with the Netgear 11AC 1200 Mbps 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX6200-100UKS) with BT broadband. I recently took the decision to upgrade to BT infinity and the supplied BT home hub connects to the internet fine, the Netgear kit will not at all.

Is this because it is ADSL? 

Do I need to buy new Netgear kit (I prefer Netgear so will be remaining faithful to them)?

If so, which modem/router and extender combo would you recommend?

Many thanks for taking the time to answer

Model: D6300|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: BT infinity compatability

What sort of Infinity? VDSL?

The D6300 will handle VDSL.

@protodoc wrote:

....the Netgear kit will not at all.

What happens when you try?

You may have to reset the modem/router to tell it to forget the old settings.

Do you have the correct login details for Infinity? Login with your BT email address and no password.

If you do decided to replace the modem, be very careful in your choice of Netgear hardware. BT uses a flavour of IPv6 that will not work on many, if any, Netgear devices. There may come a time when it is important to have IPv6. BT's modems already support it.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to find out which Netgear devices do support BT's IPv6 implementation. The best place to ask for help on that front, and in general, might be the BT User forum. Some of the folks over there know what they are on about.

Message 2 of 5
protodoc
Aspirant

Thanks Michael, that is really helpful

I have taken your advice and upgraded to the Nighthawk® X8—AC5300 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router which does offer IPV6 support.

Hopefull it will just plug and play ...

Mark

Message 3 of 5

@protodoc wrote:

Thanks Michael, that is really helpful

I have taken your advice and upgraded to the Nighthawk® X8—AC5300 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router which does offer IPV6 support.

Nighthawk X8—AC5300 is not a model number. Is that the D8500?

Many Netgear modem routers offer IPv6 support. But is it the same implementation that BT uses?

Message 4 of 5

Page 78 of the manual suggests that you may be in luck:

>>> R8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

I still think it would be a good idea to run this by people on the BT forum. You won't get much help from Netrgear's support people. They studiously ignore questions about BT and its implementation of IPv6.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7