Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best adsl2+ modem/router combo compatible with Spectrum?

Joeikillya
Aspirant

Best adsl2+ modem/router combo compatible with Spectrum?

Hey guys,I need help trying to buy a modem/router combo running on adsl2+ with spectrum at 430mbs down and 25 up. I know there's a compatible list,but I'm sure there's more that can work.I was looking at the NH ac1900 d7000 model,but I'm not sure if it will jive right with Spectrum. I'm trying to find the best gaming setup for about $250 or $300. Any ideas???......
Message 1 of 10

Re: Best adsl2+ modem/router combo compatible with Spectrum?

@Joeikillya wrote:
Hey guys,I need help trying to buy a modem/router combo running on adsl2+ with spectrum at 430mbs down and 25 up.

I have never come across an ADSL2+ service that can get anywhere near 430 Mbps.

ADSL2+ is an ancient technology that predates VDSL.

The top speed of VDSL is around 70 Mbps. The reference I found tells me that ADSL2+ maxes out at 24 Mbps. I doubt if you can get near on 20 times that from your ISP.

I know there's a compatible list...

Whose compatibility list? Netgear? Spectrum?

Your ISP is the best place to start. It will give you a better idea of the technologies it uses.

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

As far as I'm aware, spectrum doesn't have any DSL service. Its cable.

Did you check with your ISP to see whats compatible? 

Message 3 of 10
Joeikillya
Aspirant

Sorry,I was a little scatterbrained when I posted this morning. I'm trying to help my buddy out .He has his lan line service going through the router via phone line,and he used to have adsl2+( hence that part of my rambling). Anyways he wants to get a modem/router combo with a phone jack so he can keep his phone/voice service,and he mainly wants to use the setup for high gaming.....any thoughts?
Message 4 of 10

@Joeikillya wrote:
He has his lan line service going through the router via phone line,and he used to have adsl2+( hence that part of my rambling).

What is a "lan line"? Do you mean land line?

We still do not what sort of internet he has. If it is a cable service, Netgear offers several. Look for one with a V on the end of the model number. Something like CXXXXV. (The V means voice.)

They might also like to consider a standalone modem (CMXXXV) followed by a router only box. That would give them a much better choice of routers including some designed for gamers.

But again, knowing nothing the Internet service involved this is pure guesswork on my part. We do know is that talk of ADSL is seriously misleading. Do not go down that road. As ever, accurate details are essential. We haven't got that far yet.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

If its spectrum and he has voice, he'd want to look into getting a modem from spectrum. Most of netgears modem/router/voice boxes are only compatible with xfinity and not spectrum. But luckily spectrum doesn't usually charge for the modem if you're needing voice. 

Plus then he could buy whatever high end router he wanted for gaming. 

Message 6 of 10
Joeikillya
Aspirant

Ok,thanks for the replies fellas I appreciate that. Now for those who didn't see me say (Spectrum) in my original post, and apologize for saying adsl2+ in the next one.lol......He has cable by Spectrum, separate modem and router provided by them,and he has a LAND LINE PHONE(I'm from the south give me a break)Wich he wants to keep hooked to his router until he drops his phone service. The reason I'm trying to help him get different gear,is because of not only theirs just plain sucks,you can't get into the damn thing unless you strap dynamite to it. They don't won't anyone messing around with them now besides tech support,and even they can't get into the smallest task of changing a wifi channel band...Anyways I digress, short version is I need to find a higher end Cable modem/router combo with a phone jack for mainly gaming performance that can handle a minimum of 300mbs and up..Any good Netgear suggestions for about $300 to $400 bucks?
Message 7 of 10

@Joeikillya wrote:
The reason I'm trying to help him get different gear,is because of not only theirs just plain sucks,you can't get into the damn thing unless you strap dynamite to it.

What is that device?

Very few modem/routers are locked down so hard that it is impossible to get them to cooperate. It just takes a bit of effort and understanding of how modems work.

But no one can advise without details of that device.

@plemans has already explained why Netgear may not be much use if you want a VOICE modem or modem./router.

Most of netgears modem/router/voice boxes are only compatible with xfinity and not spectrum. But luckily spectrum doesn't usually charge for the modem if you're needing voice.

As he added, you can then take your pick of the myriad array of routers that Netgear, and other brands offer.

To narrow down the choice you will have to provide some detail on what you consider to be "the best". What features does your friend need? How big is their property?How many people will use the connection?

Apart from gaming, what else will they use the router for?

Netgear has a range of gaming routers. Models like the XR1000. They do not come cheap, but some are in your budget range.

Buy Gaming Routers with DumaOS | NETGEAR

Message 8 of 10
Joeikillya
Aspirant

Good info guys thanks,now let me see if I can be even more specific for those that still don't understand. He has his modem/router about 25' away from his Xbox in the next room. He still gets lag and signal drops every day. He just uses the internet for "GAMING ONLY". He still has and wants to use his phone connected to his modem/router,until such a time when he decides to get rid of it down the line. The phone is just for normal house calls, that's it. Like I said before,the modem/router from Spectrum Cable had to be replaced 3 different times on account of issues I mentioned above and trust me when I say this,they didn't give him a password to go into his modem,they told me on the phone and all 3 tech workers that came out that they didn't want anyone getting into their equipment now. The reason they said was because a lot of people were going into settings and screwing things up,then when tech guys came out to fix it they would have a mess on their hands. As for Netgear not being compatible with the voice I understand,but he's not to concerned about voice when that's the case. He just wants a good gaming setup. I already know Netgear's modem/routers will work with spectrum cable,I used to build PC's back in the day and mess with tech a lot(I'm 47) I was just posting on here for a quick(Yes this modem/router is a good choice for 400 to 500mbs and up for gaming at $300 to $400 price range with a phone jack built into it). That's all.....and again thanks for replying back.
Message 9 of 10

@Joeikillya wrote:

He still has and wants to use his phone connected to his modem/router,until such a time when he decides to get rid of it down the line.
As for Netgear not being compatible with the voice I understand,but he's not to concerned about voice when that's the case.

Those two statements don't tie up. He can't want to use the voice line and not care about voice.

A Voice Cable Modem has the sockets on the back that allow the phone to connect to his modem/router.

I already know Netgear's modem/routers will work with spectrum cable..

But, as @plemans has already explained, Netgear's modems may not be compatible with Spectrum's voice line.

I used to build PC's back in the day and mess with tech a lot(I'm 47)

In that case, you might find these useful:

Voice Modems | Spectrum Support

spectrum cable voice modem bridge mode - Google Search

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7