Reply

Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

keith_thfc
Tutor

Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Have setup my Thomson TG585v7 in bridge mode so that I can try using my DGND3700 through this but not having much success so am hoping someone on here can tell me where I am going wrong (am a bit of a noob when it comes to networking).

- Thomson TG585v7 is in bridge mode
- Ethernet cable from LAN1 of Thomson to WAN of Netgear DGND3700
- Ethernet cable from PC to LAN1 of Netgear DGND3700.

When I do this I see a red "internet" light on the DGND3700 & have no connectivity.

And at this point I can't access my normal Thomson TG585v7 or Netgear DGND3700 settings pages.

Have I got the connections correct?
Message 1 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Try WAN of TG to WAN of NG.
Message 2 of 13
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Sounds like you've connected it up correctly, LAN out of TG to WAN in on DGND3700. With the TG in transparent bridge mode it is "transparent" and just passes the connection to the DGND3700, you are correct that you cannot see the TG. With you PC connected to one of the LAN ports on the DGND3700 you should be able to access the setup stuff on the DGND3700 using either 192.168.0.1 or the www.routerlogin.net. You will need to setup protocol, your ISP userid and password on the DGND3700 as though it is the primary WAN connection device.
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 3 of 13
keith_thfc
Tutor

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Many thanks for your help guys.

After resetting/starting again the bridge appears to be working as I can now use my DGND3700 to connect to the internet.

Should I be seeing "bridge mode" or something similar to confirm this when I access the Thomson TG585v7 page?

I can see "Routed IPoE on 0/101 (modified by user)" but not sure if that was there before when it wasn't in bridge mode.
Message 4 of 13
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Just curious, why even use the TG585v7? Seems like you should be able to plug your rj11 directly from the wall to your DGND3700 and set up the DSL stuff in the DGND3700 like its set up in the Thompson.
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 5 of 13
keith_thfc
Tutor

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

w3wilkes wrote:
Just curious, why even use the TG585v7? Seems like you should be able to plug your rj11 directly from the wall to your DGND3700 and set up the DSL stuff in the DGND3700 like its set up in the Thompson.
I'd love to do this but the damn device is unable to automatically reconnect when losing sync........as noted in this thread.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=73524&page=9
Message 6 of 13
keith_thfc
Tutor

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Looks like I didn't have my Thomson in bridge mode after all before. I tried again and now I can't access the Thomson router page which I think means that its properly in bridge mode now.

Don't quite understand how it was all working ok before when it wasn't in bridge mode AND I could view the Thomson router stats page ok. Didn't think this would be possible unless in bridge mode...

Now I can't view my line stats which is frustrating so tempted to reset the Thomson back to normal and see what happens...
Message 7 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Bridge mode disables all routers functions and you just have a modem. This means the LAN ports in back do not function and the wireless does not function. That's why you have to connect the WAN output to the WAN input of the router. What you had before as a double NAT situation and is not good.
Message 8 of 13
keith_thfc
Tutor

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

So is there any way I can view my line stats while in bridge mode?
Message 9 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

I think so if you just connect to gateway.
Message 10 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

keith_thfc wrote:
Have setup my Thomson TG585v7 in bridge mode so that I can try using my DGND3700 through this but not having much success so am hoping someone on here can tell me where I am going wrong (am a bit of a noob when it comes to networking).

- Thomson TG585v7 is in bridge mode
- Ethernet cable from LAN1 of Thomson to WAN of Netgear DGND3700
- Ethernet cable from PC to LAN1 of Netgear DGND3700.

When I do this I see a red "internet" light on the DGND3700 & have no connectivity.

And at this point I can't access my normal Thomson TG585v7 or Netgear DGND3700 settings pages.

Have I got the connections correct?


With this model has DSL and WAN options on netgear you can chose to use either one.

if your TG is already in bridge mode then as you install ethernet cabled to WAN of DG, you just need change setting of WAN of DG to use authentication so that it can connect wit your TG in bridge mode.

Once the TG in bridge mode any pc behind the DG will not able to connect to TG interface is normal. Although you should still abel to access the DG interface to change all your settings
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 13
keith_thfc
Tutor

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

jmizoguchi wrote:

Once the TG in bridge mode any pc behind the DG will not able to connect to TG interface is normal. Although you should still abel to access the DG interface to change all your settings

Yep, I can access the DG interface as normal. Only thing I can't do is see my line stats anywhere but not a big deal.

It seems to working ok so will monitor over the next few days. Not my ideal setup to be using two routers but at least this way I can take advantage of the faster Wireless N speed & dual band wireless from the DG which my Thomson doesn't have.
Message 12 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Bridge Mode help needed for DGND3700 use...

Sounds like you are on right track.. enjoy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 19605 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E