Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Broadcast range of the 3700 especially weak or RMA?

Thronsen
Aspirant

Broadcast range of the 3700 especially weak or RMA?

Hi there-

I sure would appreciate hearing some others experiences as Im trying to figure out whether to RMA.

The signal strength on my unit is very very weak, compared to my previous $20 Wireless G router. Just checking the 2.4 GHz band, on my laptop with Wireless N I get maybe 5 Mbps in places where it would get 54 Mbps with my old Wireless G router. On my other laptop with only Wireless G, I get pretty much no connection with the 3700 (signal too weak), and an 'excellent' 54 Mbps connection with my old router. This isnt just in one area, but throughout the house. I have the 2 routers set up in the exact same place. (Actually I have the 3700 set up in the place it gives the best range after 2 hours of trial and error, where my old router was just thrown under a desk).

Im just curious if there is something broken (and if so how can I test it) or something that I havent enabled (like an antenna?!). I know company's are very suspicious of range problems, blaming walls, microwaves, etc. But comparing this 'top of the line' router (with the 'best' range) to my old $20 router shows a really significant difference in the exact same place connecting with the exact same computers.

Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 7
luisito_ortiz
Aspirant

Re: Broadcast range of the 3700 especially weak or RMA?

The range of this router is less than that of the WNDR3700, specially on the 5Ghz side of things, but it's still almost the same on the 2.4Ghz signal. You could try upping the default speed of the 2.4Ghz to 300Mbps, see if that helps.
Message 2 of 7
Thronsen
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your reply. Wish I had know that the WNDR had a longer range, I would have bought that one and used my current router. Thought they were the same other then the modem.

In any case though, the router it is replacing isnt the WNDR3700. My DGND3700 is replacing a $20 5 year old modem (Thomson Tg585v7) given to my by my ISP. And the signal the DGND3700 is giving off is just so much weaker, even in the same position and linking to the same computers.

Just curious if its really that weak, or if there might be something wrong with it. I have already tried pushing up the default speed on the 2.4Ghz channel, not effect.

And wondering how to test to see if I should return it as defective.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wifi depends on environmental issues. also it is common to see legacy wireless G wifi are better range over N routers.

I wold first work with the placement and other channel interference issues.

As per said already, 2.4Ghz will have better range over 5Ghz and this nature of how frequency works
Message 4 of 7
dataghost
Aspirant

Having owned quite a lot of N routers I can honestly say that other than the increased throughput, The 'N' standard is nothing more than a lot of hype.

Ive seen people having far less range/connection issues with good old fashioned G routers :rolleyes:
Message 5 of 7
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

dataghost wrote:
Having owned quite a lot of N routers I can honestly say that other than the increased throughput, The 'N' standard is nothing more than a lot of hype.

I agree, and an even bigger disapointment for people using it on the 2.4GHz band in a congested area.
Message 6 of 7
Markd102
Aspirant

Mine is the same.
I went from a DG834G which gave me a very usable signal in the entire house, to the DGND3700 which is really only usable if you're in the same room.
Really disappointed!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7