Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can D2200D be used for both WiFi and bridge?

caliph
Aspirant

Can D2200D be used for both WiFi and bridge?

I would like to use a Frontier D2200D for Wi-Fi in my home and as a bridge to an ASUS AC87U in my wife's office 50 feet away. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
caliph
Aspirant

Re: Can D2200D be used for both WiFi and bridge?

Michael

One more update. With the all new system in place, and just one router in use, we had another internet outage this morning. I fixed that with a hot reboot and called Frontier. While on the call, the phone suddenly went dead and the internet with it. This time the modem was able to reconnect without a hot reboot. So I replaced the only part of the system which had not been changed, the DSL filter or line splitter, and if we have more problems, which I expect, they will look for an intermittent break between our house and the exchange up in town.

Thanks for your help again. I assume you get some kind of a badge for solving this problem, so I will accept it as solved.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

What sort of bridge do you have in mind? That term gets used in various ways.

Are you hoping to create a wifi bridge to the ASUS AC87U? Or do you want to wire the two together and turn off the router bit of the D2200D.

What is the ASUS AC87U connected to at the moment? 

The D2200D is one of those "made for ISPs" devices that don't seem to feature in Netgear's support system.

You may have to delve into the device's control interface to see what it can do. Or ask the ISP that provided you with the thing.

I wouldn't expect much from the D2200D on the wifi front. It says that it has "Fast WiFi N300 speeds for a reliable video and streaming experience". In reality, N300 is about as slow as it get in wifi terms these days.

One thing you could investigate is to use Powerline Ethernet to connect to the ASUS AC87U over the mains circuit.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 8
caliph
Aspirant

Our provider is Frontier. We only get 1.5 MB at best, though we pay for 6 MB, so I doubt that N300 slowness will be an issue.

The idea was to have the D2200D hooked up to the DSL and transmitting Wi-Fi in my place, then run it over to my wife's office on ethernet cable, where it would feed the ASUS AC87U for Wi-Fi over there. The D2200D isn't powerful enough to reach on its own, and the ASUS AC87U requires a separate modem, which the D2200D could be used as.

Failing this (forums say when you call Frontier support they refuse to deal with non-Frontier equipment) I just set up the D2200D in my place and used a Netgear Wi-Fi extender at my wife's. This seems to be working fine.

The only way I saw to use the D2200D as a modem for the ASUS AC87U required me to turn off the Wi-Fi on the D2200D.

In any case, we will try the setup we are using now and see if it remains satisfactory.

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge Michael.

Message 3 of 8
caliph
Aspirant

Obviously, I meant 1.5 megabits, not megabytes in my last post.

Message 4 of 8

@caliph wrote:

The idea was to have the D2200D hooked up to the DSL and transmitting Wi-Fi in my place, then run it over to my wife's office on ethernet cable, where it would feed the ASUS AC87U for Wi-Fi over there.

That should work fine. If you don't mind running the LAN cable that far. (Powerline does the same thing, but over the mains circuit, without having to trail new cables all over the place.)

You just have to work out how to put the ASUS AC87U into AP (wireless access point) mode.

The idea there is to disable the router bit of the ASUS AC87U so that you don't have two routers on your network, which is a recipe for chaos.

@caliph wrote:

Our provider is Frontier. We only get 1.5 MB at best, though we pay for 6 MB, so I doubt that N300 slowness will be an issue.

That's pretty dreadful. Is it down to the quality of the line or because the have supplied a crummy modem/router?

Message 5 of 8
caliph
Aspirant

It seems that the reason for the slow service could be that the switching station at our tiny town's hookup is oversubscribed. When we first went from 1 mb to 7mb, we got good service. As time went by, we slowed back down. A friend of mine now cannot even get a line , and is told he must wait until someone abandons one.

The bigger problem with our service, out here on the farm, is lightning. It often strikes our line and carries to our equipment. We have lost over half a dozen fuses and modems, two phones, and once it blew the fuse, jumped it, blew the modem and took out my motherboard. The hard drive was not right and I replaced that within a year. The optical drive too.

After that, I quit using ethernet cables and went exclusively with Wi-Fi. That way, only the junky modems supplied by Frontier were at risk, which they will replace at no extra charge. Since my wife works on-line from home, I couldn't wait for a replacement, so I bought several cheap back-ups from e-Bay.

Then I built her garden office. The Wi-Fi no longer reached. We got the ASUS and set it up in my place using the 7550 as a modem. That worked but was not strong, so a friend gave us an extender he was not using. This was pretty good, though still burpy.

Come New Year, we started to lose signal. At first we could fix it with a hot re-boot. Then I started using my spare modems. The Wi-Fi went out on one so I got an exterior ethernet cable and ran it to her office, which she likes because it is more reliable than the Wi-Fi ever is. Various functions on different modems gradually gave out. Sometimes they would bridge to the ASUS, then they would not.

So Frontier finally showed up. They replaced some wires and components and gave us a new D2200D, and told me I could use it both for Wi-Fi at my place and as a modem for the ASUS, which is now over at my wife's office.

I found a video showing how to put the ASUS in AP mode as you suggested. Looks pretty straight forward. But I have already put the extender over at her place, without using the ASUS at all, and things are working well. This way we are back to only having the D2200D exposed to lightning, and we each have an ethernet hook-up for when we need a better signal, but can un-hook when there are storms (I can also unhook the phone line itself, but we haven't had a strike in a couple of years now, though we have had six in one year, and one gets lazy). If we need it, I will try using the ASUS in AP mode.

Hope I didn't bore you, but you seem the type to enjoy a good story. Thank you very much for all your help.

By the way, I am also a Michael.

Yours, Michael Seno

Message 6 of 8
caliph
Aspirant

Michael

One more update. With the all new system in place, and just one router in use, we had another internet outage this morning. I fixed that with a hot reboot and called Frontier. While on the call, the phone suddenly went dead and the internet with it. This time the modem was able to reconnect without a hot reboot. So I replaced the only part of the system which had not been changed, the DSL filter or line splitter, and if we have more problems, which I expect, they will look for an intermittent break between our house and the exchange up in town.

Thanks for your help again. I assume you get some kind of a badge for solving this problem, so I will accept it as solved.

Message 7 of 8

@caliph wrote:

Indeed, and I know that some people wave their badges around the place but that's not I hang around here.

Was it an internet outage or a power cut? We had one of those today. They can cause havoc.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

Fortunately, your modem/router won't have that issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7