Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I plug by Mesh WiFi 6 Sytem directly into my Phone Jack, bypassing my Century Link Modem

mybons
Aspirant

Can I plug by Mesh WiFi 6 Sytem directly into my Phone Jack, bypassing my Century Link Modem

I currently get my Wi-Fi and telephone service from Century Link.  However, the current WiFi signal is not strong enough to make it from my office to the TV in the family room.  For this reason I bought  the Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system to hopefully solve the problem.  I haven't set it up yet because I want to know if I have to hook it up to the CenturyLink modem or can I hook it up to the phone jack and bypass the modem altogether?  If I have to hook it up to the modem, how do I turn off the WiFi signal coming from the modem?  I tried calling Century Link but got nowhere.  As you can probably guess, my technical skills in this area are pretty limited so if someone can help me, I would truly appreciate it.  ( I keep putting my model # AX1800 MK63 into the model box but it keeps deleting it because it's not on the list.)

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I plug by Mesh WiFi 6 Sytem directly into my Phone Jack, bypassing my Century Link Modem

1. you posted in the NETGEAR cable modem/dsl modem section. The centurylink one isn't netgear (more than likely)

2. for that same reason, its why the MK63 didn't show up here. Its does not have an integrated modem. 

3. What actual centurylink modem do you have? 

4. Since the MK63 system doesn't have an internal modem, you'd need to leave the centurylink device but you wouldn't have to use it for wifi. You can disable its wifi, or leave the wifi and just make sure the MK63 is using different wireless channels (to prevent interference). You'd also need to either put the netgear in access point mode or the netgears IP address into the centurylink's DMZ. 

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: Can I plug by Mesh WiFi 6 Sytem directly into my Phone Jack, bypassing my Century Link Modem

> [...] I want to know if I have to hook it up to the CenturyLink modem
> [...]

I'd expect so.  For the non-psychics in your audience, what is your
(unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem"?  How is it connected to
CenturyLink?  Phone/DSL cable?  Ethernet cable?  Other?

> [...] or can I hook it up to the phone jack and bypass the modem
> altogether? [...]

If you have DSL service from CenturyLink, then you'd probably need a
DSL modem to go with it.  Is there a DSL port on the MK63?  I'd guess
not.

> [...] You can disable its wifi, or leave the wifi and just make sure
> the MK63 is using different wireless channels (to prevent interference).
> You'd also need to either put the netgear in access point mode or the
> netgears IP address into the centurylink's DMZ.

Or, if your (unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem" has a modem-only
("bridge") mode, then you could configure it that way, and use the MK63
as a router the easy way.  With my weak psychic powers and no maker or
model number for your (unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem", I could
only guess as to whether that'd be possible.

Message 3 of 5
mybons
Aspirant

> [...] I want to know if I have to hook it up to the CenturyLink modem
> [...]

I'd expect so.  For the non-psychics in your audience, what is your
(unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem"?  How is it connected to
CenturyLink?  Phone/DSL cable?  Ethernet cable?  Other?

----My Century Link modem model number is C1100T.  It's connected by Phone/DSL cable.

> [...] or can I hook it up to the phone jack and bypass the modem
> altogether? [...]

If you have DSL service from CenturyLink, then you'd probably need a
DSL modem to go with it.  Is there a DSL port on the MK63?  I'd guess
not.

----No, just Ethernet and Internet connections 

> [...] You can disable its wifi, or leave the wifi and just make sure
> the MK63 is using different wireless channels (to prevent interference).
> You'd also need to either put the netgear in access point mode or the
> netgears IP address into the centurylink's DMZ.

----Without being too technical, can you explain how to disable the CenturyLink modem's WIFI.  If I disable the WIFI, would I still need to put the Net Gear in access point mode?  I have no idea how to do that, but maybe when I start installing the Net Gear mesh system, it will become clearer.  I really am a novice at this.

Or, if your (unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem" has a modem-only
("bridge") mode, then you could configure it that way, and use the MK63
as a router the easy way.  With my weak psychic powers and no maker or
model number for your (unspecified) "the CenturyLink modem", I could
only guess as to whether that'd be possible.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

here's where you can get the guide for the c1100t

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/technicolor-c1100t.html

You might contact them for assistance if you want to put the c1100t in passthrough mode. 

There's also the option of putting the netgears IP address into the c1100t's dmz. the guide has that listed as an option. 

Or you can put the netgear into access point mode and disable the c1100t's wireless. the guide has that option under the basic settings of how to disable the 2.4ghz/5ghz radio. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7