Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I selectively reset ethernet ports on my D7000?

sr97355
Tutor

Can I selectively reset ethernet ports on my D7000?

My Nighthawk D7000 has firmware version V1.0.1.74_1.0.1.  Recently updated the firmware.  I have two desktop computers which connect into the ethernet ports on the D7000 (i.e.cat V cable connection).  Since the firmware update, the two desktops have lost their connectivity to the network and internet.  All wireless devices are just fine...they see the home network and the internet.  Rebooting the D7000 seems to resolve the problem, but obviously disrupts the wireless connections.

Can the ethernet ports on the D7000 be maually reset?  I've tried shutting down the desktops as well as disconnecting the Cat V cable at the desktop but that does not resolve the problem.  It is not easy or convenient to get to the D7000 to reboot it, and I've had to reboot it once a day since installing the firmware update.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 23
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have two desktop computers which connect into the ethernet
> ports on the D7000 (i.e.cat V cable connection). [...]

What do your (unspecified) "two desktop computers" have to say about
the status of their Ethernet interfaces?  What do the port-status LED
indicators on the D7000 say?  Which ports?

> [...] Rebooting the D7000 seems to resolve the problem, [...]

For how long?

> Can the ethernet ports on the D7000 be maually reset?

I don't know what such a reset would mean, so I doubt it.

I installed V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 on mine a few days ago, and haven't
noticed any trouble yet.  (I use only LAN 1, however.)

Message 2 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

The first 3 times I rebooted the router, I did not note the time.  We are not using the wired devices all the time...maybe an hour or two then off to do something else and come back to the computers later.  LAN port 1 is wired connection (direct) to 32-bit windows 7 tower (located upstairs, about 6 feet from the router.  LAN port 2 is connected to patch panel which connects to 16-bit windows 7 Toshiba laptop located downstairs.  LEDs on the router look normal--3 LAN ports are orange, LAN port 1 is white.  We'll call 32-bit windows 7 PC with 6ft patch cable directly connected to LAN port 1, PC1.  The 16-bit windows 7 PC which connects via patch panel, PC2.

The LAN port on the tower and the laptop show their normal blinking lights (green solid with amber blinking flanking the plugged in cat v cable for the toshiba laptop, yellow and amber on the upstairs device.

Have run the Windows Network Diagnostic tool on both computers, several times...every time the result is "check your modem or broadband connection" (or words to that effect.

I checked the downstairs PC at 2338 (11:38pm) last night.  All browser tabs showed "server not found".  Tried connecting to "routerlogin.net" and the direct IP for the router--neither succeeded (i.e. server not found).

Logged into the router via wireless laptop, looked at the attached device list and all wireless devices showed up but the attached wired devices list was empty.  Rebooted the router at 2355.  Everything came up normal.  Went to bed.

Hubby got up this morning about 0730, checked the computer and "server not found" came up when he tried to check his email.  I had showed him last night how to reboot the router, so he rebooted the router.  After router came up, he was able to check his email and news.  About noon today, he went to check something on the computer and the browser had the dreaded "server not found" again! 

So, I went into diagnostic mode (again!)...repeated all the attempts, diagnostics, and visual examinations described above--with the same results.  Additionally, with PC1 could not ping router's IP nor connect to its IP via browser (forgot to try trace route).  PC1 could not ping PC2.

I stopped being a network engineer in 2002, so my troubleshooting skills are rusty, and obviously I'm not up on the latest technology.  As far as resetting the LAN ports go, my thought was "if everything else is working except the 4 LAN ports, is there a way to turn the individual LAN ports off then back on"--why disrupt everything for two PCs.

Will reboot router after posting this, and check PC2 in a couple hours.  Assuming the same things happen, I will try switching PC1 and PC2 from LAN ports 1 & 2 to LAN ports 3 & 4.

Message 3 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Info correction:  PC1 is 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium with 16GB RAM, PC 2 is 32-bit Win 7 Home Premium with 4GB RAM.  My knees do not like going up/down the stairs so worked from memory on PC config.

Checked the router at 1945, no internet access.  That was 2.5 hours after last reboot (via wireless connection to router, selected reboot from the Home Advanced tab).  Turned router off, swapped LAN ports for the two wired PCs, rebooted at 2002.  Everything came up fine (per usual).

Message 4 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

For all the headaches v74 is causing you, why don't you revert to .70 for at least the time being. Ultimately, assuming your D7000 is a v1, I would recommend you switch to the open source Ancistrus firmware which is based upon Netgear's but fixes numerous bugs.

https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases

Message 5 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

When I look at the Router Status Screen it only says "D7000" not D7000 v2.  That leads me to believe it is not a v2 router.

Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware version?  How do I notify NetGear that there is a problem with their latest firmware version?  Whenever I go to support, it always shunts me over to the NetGear Community.

I will investigate your suggestion of changing to OpenSource, but will ahve to weight the pros and cons...for example: if I go to it now, will I be able to go to the next NetGear firmware update?

Message 6 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Forgot to mention, I do use the USB ports on the router to provide network storage and I have a NetGear Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Range Extender downstairs for a stronger signal in the "outer" rooms. 

Message 7 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

@sr97355 wrote:

When I look at the Router Status Screen it only says "D7000" not D7000 v2.  That leads me to believe it is not a v2 router.

Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware version?  How do I notify NetGear that there is a problem with their latest firmware version?  Whenever I go to support, it always shunts me over to the NetGear Community.

I will investigate your suggestion of changing to OpenSource, but will ahve to weight the pros and cons...for example: if I go to it now, will I be able to go to the next NetGear firmware update?

I believed that you had a v1 from the start because a v2 uses different firmware. And yes, you not only can revert to older Netgear firmware but you can also revert to Netgear if you try the ancistrus build. I was surprised & pleased to update to ancistrus v70 w/o any issues at all. But the ancistrus has not yet been updated with the netgear v74 source which is why I said "just revert to .70 if it gave you no problems".

You have not mentioned this, but my own D7000 had been locking-up about once a month with stock Netgear firmware all-the-way-up-to v70 which is why I tried ancistrus. Zero lockups since. Will surely update to ancistrus v74 when the dev gets to doing it.

P.S. I can't imagine that notifying Netgear will do you (or them) any good. [sarcasm]They seem to be quite well-insulated from their users' piddly problems![/sarcasm]

Message 8 of 23
antinode
Guru

> [...] I do use the USB ports on the router to provide network storage
> [...]

I don't.  You might see if not using those features extends the
time-to-fail.

> Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware version?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 9 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

I rely on having the USB HDD hanging off of the router...don't have the time to use a different solution at this time.  I also use MAC filtering as part of my network security.  Does the ancistrus firmware allow for that?

Yes, I would have to reboot the router about once a month, for no apparent reason, under firmware 70 but that is not as bad as rebooting every 3-4 hours!  😉   If we didn't have wired devices that we used regularly the frequent reboots would not be an issue because we wouldn't need to (wireless connections are not affected by this firmware problem).

I usedd to think of NetGear as being reliable and reesponsive, but to put out a firmware update that behaves this way is very poor customer service.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will start with rolling the firmware back tomorrow.

Message 10 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

@sr97355 wrote:

I rely on having the USB HDD hanging off of the router...don't have the time to use a different solution at this time.  I also use MAC filtering as part of my network security.  Does the ancistrus firmware allow for that?

Yes, I would have to reboot the router about once a month, for no apparent reason...

Again, the ancistrus firmware starts with the base Netgear features, fixes some things, and adds features of its own; I fully expect MAC filtering to continue just as you've set it up, but you can roll-back or roll-over to other firmware if you don't like it for some reason.

Of course, while in theory fw updates are possible and easy, in practice there is always a chance for a problem somewhere. I do always try to have my devices on a UPS, and update via Ethernet cable, to eliminate at least the possibility of an untoward power glitch occurring in the middle of the update process, and some wierd WiFi thing too.

Lots of people here are disappointed with Netgear in general and the D7000 devices in particular, so welcome to that not-so-happy club. I am only a month or so into using the ancistrus builds for my own D7000v1, and if the lockup-free performance continues I will be much happier with my setup. It still has a wierd problem in its Dynamic DNS firmware, so I don't use that at all, but otherwise the thing does what I need it to in my house.

Message 11 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

I do appreciate your responses.  PC1 is upstairs and has direct cable to the router (no going through switch or patch panel).  It is also the newest computer...has most RAM, processor power, etc.  I always do firmware updates with that system.  Depending on the knees, I may reboot remotely (I always consider that method a "warm reboot") rather than fighting the stairs to do a hard reboot (via power button or disconnecting the AC plug).

I did download the previous NetGear firmware version.  I think I might try the the ancistrus firmware, since I can always go back to NetGear if I can't do what I'm used to doing.  Thanks, again..

Message 12 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

OK...to add to the mystery:  Last night, between 1645 and 1655 we had severe thunderstorms and lost power.  All computers and most electronics are connected to UPS boxes of varying sizes.  (I have at least 5 active UPS boxes.)   They buy me time to hobble throughout the house to shut down the computers, etc.  The router's UPS stays up the longest betcause most of the time, the other devices connected to are "off" (just vampire circuits).

We had to leave for a meeting before the power returned, but I shut down everything except the router.  We returned home about 2008 and the power was back.  Near as I can tell, the power came back on about 1800 or a little after.

Last night I checked PC2 and since it was connecting normally to the internet, I did not reboot the router.  I honestly don't remember, but I don't think I rebooted the router last night at all.  Now it is 17 hours later and PC2 still talks to the internet.  Besides the unknown time the router was [probably] without power (est. ~15-30 minutes), the only difference is that I did not go upstairs and restart PC1 and its printer.  Will do that shortly, to see if anything changes.  If the problems recur, then it is either PC1 or the combination of PC1 and PC2.  However, that doesn't change the fact that these outages did not occur with the previous firmware version.

Message 13 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

But...it would take you 5 minutes to load instead v70 firmware and be done with this?

Message 14 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL You have a valid point...but unfortunately, my personality is such that I have a need to know/figure out what is going on...e.g. maybe PC1's network card is going bad or something else...  I haven't actually brought PC1 up yet...yesterday was my birthday....(I had other things on my mind...other than computers).  Tomorrow my husband has an all day meeting, so I can play IT tech without hurting his feelings.

I probably will "play" (my hubby's word) detective tomorrow for a couple of hours and then install either your recommended firmware or v70.  If nothing else, it will be good brain exercise.

Message 15 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

I understand obsessions like yours all too well TBH but sometimes "if you've been beating your head against a wall, it feels so good to stop". Further, changing firmware on these is just so easy that you should try it. If it fixes your problem then move-on to the ancistrus build and revel in the lack of lockups. Finally, when the ancistrus build is updated to the v74 base you can update to that and see if your PC/Ethernet problem returns or if it just remains a bad memory!

And Happy Birthday!

Message 16 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Smiley LOL Got to love computers and electronics!  They are enough to drive one crazy.  Luckily I have a firm belief in "stray electrons"....

So, brief summary:  on 10 Aug I brought PC1 up but did not turn its printer on.  The printer next to PC1 connects directly into the router rather than into PC1 (that way the printer is still accessible even when PC1 is off)--been that way for years.  PC1 & PC2 maintained their ability to connect to the internet, so at 1305 on 11 Aug turned the printer on.  Sent a print job to that printer about 1400 today.  As of now, everything is functioning normally.

Haven't a clue why...I know when I have many devices on one circuit, it might be best to turn them on singly rather than at the same time (in case start up power needs are larger than the running power requirements, and the total start up power requirements exceed what the circuit allows).  Should not have to wait nearly a day between starting devices connected.  Maybe devices being off that long allowed "something" to clear that wasn't clearing with shorter off periods.

Bottom line is--things are working (although I don't know why).  I will stop messing for now.  Should the problem recur I'll just install the ancistrus and go from there.  Thanks for chatting and trying to help.

Message 17 of 23
tominwi
Luminary

@sr97355 wrote:

Smiley LOL Got to love computers and electronics!  They are enough to drive one crazy.  Luckily I have a firm belief in "stray electrons"....

I can only add that for a while I was convinced there was something about the way our iGizmos communicated that caused our D7000 to lock-up. It seemed that after our morning coffee we'd pick-up these gizmos and shortly thereafter they'ed stop talking to the Internet and I'd power-down the D7000. That problem mostly went-away when I reverted to an earlier firmware, then a much Later firmware was tried and the lockups were much less frequent.

Bottom line is that this router has firmware bugs and some (not all) of them have been squashed by the Ancistrus builds AFAICT so I am sticking with that for the future.

Message 18 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Was running FW version: V1.0.1.74_1.0.1.  Had problems (per earlier posts).  Down graded to FW version v1.0.1.70_1.0.1 and no problems until a couple weeks ago.  Couple days ago, went back to FW version: V1.0.1.74_1.0.1.  Problems (basically wired connections loosing connectivity to router/network; wireless devices are just fine and only impacted by the router reboot) returned more intensely.

Went to https://github.com/negan07/ancistrus/releases.  Signed up, read tutorial.  Read the Wiki for it.  Downloaded D7000-V1.0.1.74_1.0.1-ancistrus_negan07-build-605.  But the Wiki page at github talked about running an initialization script, but when I clicked on that link, it took me to another page where I was expected to create a repository.  So I backed out of that page.  I think I just need to upload the *.img file and go.  But since it has been a while since we last discussed this, I thought I would post this update in case there is any new info.

Message 19 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Installed firmware:  D7000-V1.0.1.74_1.0.1-ancistrus.  Running for several days--sort of. The wired computers still lose their connectivity whilst all wireless devices remain active.  One connects directly into router via CAT5 cable the other connects via CAT5 cable to patch panel which then connects to the router via CAT5 cable (no switch in there, just the passive patch panel).  I know the wired connections stay up for at least 4 hours because I've checked.  But, I get busy and when next I check (8 or 10 hours later)--the connections are lost.

Will go back and see if I can download the 70l version (the version previous to the one I have) since it was previously posted that it worked well for their situation.

Message 20 of 23

@sr97355 wrote:

Installed firmware:  D7000-V1.0.1.74_1.0.1-ancistrus. 

The best place to talk about third party firmware is over where they make it.

Netgear doesn't support it, and won't be able to help, and there aren't enough experienced regulars here to be much help.

Message 21 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

The only reason I posted here was because the suggestion to try the 3rd party software was made here.  I would gladly use NetGear firmware if it did not involve rebooting the router every 3-5 hours.  AND it is only computers connected via CAT5 cables to the ethernet ports on the router that lose connectivity...anything using wifi continues to work.  I've changed which ports the devices connect to and the behavior continues.

Also, NetGear has been unresponsive to the apparent firmware problem I've experienced with both the NetGear v70 and v71.  I first reported it in early Aug 2019, but had experienced problems prior to then but the problems started occuring more often, so I finally reported it then.

I have had to teach my spouse how to reboot the router since I'm not always available to do it.  I don't like that.

Message 22 of 23
sr97355
Tutor

Sorry...not v71 but v74.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7