Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use my D7000 as a wireless extender

BrianNFK
Tutor

Can I use my D7000 as a wireless extender

OK found that the Nighthawk D7000 was the reason my internet kept dropping - and I did try all possible settings - contacting ISP etc. Upgraded firmware. I think our internet is so slow and rubbish that the Nighthawk cannot cope with it and keeps dropping out.

I bought the nighthawk as wanted better range - the less expensive TCP-link I just replaced it with actually has the same range and works!

So I wondered rather than throwing the Nighthawk away - if I could use it as a wireless extender - I looked this up and it seems the R7000 seems to have a wireless repeater setting under the advanced tab - but I cannot see this in the D7000 advanced tab - I can find a hard wire bit to use it as an extra hub - but this is not much use as I would need an unusual double ended cable - from TCP link to red socket on D7000.

So simple question can I use the Nighthawk D7000 as a wireless extender - or do I bin it?

By the way I am in the UK - but netgear community select bit would not let me type in UK.

Message 1 of 10

Do you want to use the D7000 is a wired extender or as a wifi repeater? In other words, how will it talk to the TCP-link, LAN or wifi?

Message 2 of 10
BrianNFK
Tutor

I was thinking of using it wireless - think the R7000 can do this but beginning to think the D7000 not capable - looks like it needs a cable.

Might put it on ebay and hope someone can use it. wireless repeater.

Message 3 of 10

In that case, you want to use it as a repeater, not an extender.

To quote Netgear "WiFi access points are routers, repeaters, WiFi range extenders, and any other device that emits a WiFi signal for network access."

You could just try it and see what happens, but a lot of modems and routers are limited in what they can do as repeaters. Access points are easier.

Of course, you could see if it would work with a Powerline network, feeding the LAN to the D7000 from one plug. But if you are doing that you might as well just get a Powerline bundle that has a wifi access point at the far end.

Message 4 of 10
BrianNFK
Tutor

Sadly as I thought - expensive mistake - on the plus side my internet has been working fine since I swapped to a TP link router.

Message 5 of 10

I'm surprised you couldn't get the D7000 to work with your Internet service. It is a decent box.

Did you ever consult here to get it fixed? It can be better than the useless script jockeys on the Netgear support lines.

Message 6 of 10
BrianNFK
Tutor

I had Openreach out twice looking at the line - but it kept dropping out - last resort changed over router and hey presto.

I am sure I had all the settings correct - I wonder if it cannot cope with the rubbish internet speeds that we get in rural norfolk - I also googled problems with the router dropping out and quite a lot of people had had problems with it - so guess it has some internal problems. I updated firmware and checked all the settings - trouble is if the line starts dropping the telephone system drops the speed even more until it thinks you have stable internet. Mine kept dropping to 0.1Mbts download - I know 2Mbts is going to be good for my line as I am a long way from the cabinet and copper to the house is all I am going to get - but 0.1 is a joke.

So hopefully someone out their will want it.

Thanks for your comments

Message 7 of 10

Ah. BT. You have my sympathy.

I was lucky in that BT brought Infinity to our bit of rural Sussex last year. Most unexpected

Our phone line was never that bad at ADSL, around 6 Mbps but Infinity is a delight. Near 60 Mbps

Keep up the pressure and they may get it to you.

Message 8 of 10
BrianNFK
Tutor

Their is a team trying to get B4RNorfolk going near us - fibre to property - desperately need that to happen - more than 500mbps upload and download - no more BT - but is it just a dream?

Message 9 of 10

Check out what they are doing in Cambridge. David Cleevely is giving BT, and others, a hard time about the region's "notspots".

Making Cambridge a hyper-connected city

They seem to be very effective, but David knows people.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7