Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't seem to upgrade the firmware

roguedigital
Aspirant

Can't seem to upgrade the firmware

Hello Community!

Having trouble upgrading the firmware on my D6200. I should point out I'm probably above average configuring these device, but self-taught and certainly no expert. But the router is working great with dozens of attached devices, about half with assigned IP addresses and the rest DHCP. I don't use the wifi (switched off) in favour of the existing Apple Airport wireless network - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

The router says it has Firmware Version V1.0.0.60_1.0.60. It also is displaying a small message saying "A router firmware upgrade is available", but clicking that eventually leads to another message saying "No new firmware version is available". So I go directly to the website and download the current Firmware Version V1.1.00.32 Once unzipped, this gives me a file called "D6200-V1.1.00.32.img".

Is there a difference a "Router Upgrade" and "Firmware Upgrade"? The installation instructions say to navigate to "ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade", but there isn't a "Firmware Upgrade" option, only a "Router Upgrade" option. And if I follow that and browse to the .img file and try to Upload it to the router, I get an error message "Please assign the correct file. The file format is *.chk"

So, what am I doing wrong? Was there a change from using .chk to .img that needs an intermediate firmware version to then jump to the latest. Why no new updates found automatically?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Short and sweet suggestions to get me heading down the correct path greatly apprecieated.

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't seem to upgrade the firmware

Netgear D6400 probably, not D6200 - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D6400 (there used to be a V1.0.0.60_1.0.60 at least)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] my D6200. [...]

> [...] The router says it has Firmware Version V1.0.0.60_1.0.60. [...]

That doesn't look like any firmware for a D6200.  Note the ".00." in
what you downloaded for the D6200.)  Look again at the label on the
device, and the (almost any) web page on its management web site.

> [...] Is there a difference a "Router Upgrade" and "Firmware Upgrade"?
> [...]

Probably only sloppy documentation.

> [...] I get an error message "Please assign the correct file. The file
> format is *.chk" [...]

A firmware kit for a D6200 seems to contain a ".img" file.

> So, what am I doing wrong? [...]

Reading the wrong label?  Reading the label wrong?  Talking to the
wrong gizmo?

> [...] Was there a change from using .chk to .img that needs an
> intermediate firmware version to then jump to the latest. [...]

The oldest and newest D6200 firmware kits which I found contain a
".img" file.

> [...] Why no new updates found automatically?

Typically careful management and execution by Netgear?

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Netgear D6400 probably, not D6200 - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D6400 (there used to be a V1.0.0.60_1.0.60 at least)

Message 3 of 4
roguedigital
Aspirant

Schmaku

Thanks, your message made me realise. I briefly had the D6200 and immediately swapped it for the D6400 over a year ago. What I had forgotten to do at the time was change my original bookmark to the router, labelled "Netgear D6200", as it was the same URL to access both routers. And in the meantime I've always selected that bookmark labelled as such and slowly brainwashed myself into thinking it was a D6200!

Problem solved, it was me all along, but it took that small nudge for the penny to drop.

Thanks agian 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7