Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't setup nbn WAN connection on Nighthawk D7000v2

PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Can't setup nbn WAN connection on Nighthawk D7000v2

First off I apologize for making probably a 1000th post on a similar topic but I just can't figure this out and haven't read anything that worked for me.

I got the Nighthawk AC1900 Model D7000v2 about a year ago and in a place where we had FTTB type of NBN internet where everything worked fine. Now I moved to a place where they offer HFC type of NBN which works differently and I can't for the life of me set it up. I will provide every piece of information I can to try help out anyone looking for an answer.

The main issue with this router is the no dedicated WAN port, so I plugged the cable from the modem to the 4th LAN port which is this routers WAN port.

I used the manual setup for the connection as the "use netgear genie for help" always showed "no DSL/Internet cable connected" and I managed to get to the main settings, input my country, provider, changed the Transfer mode to PTM(VDSL) and DSL Mode to VDSL2. I enabled the "Use VLANID" and set the priority to 2 as instructed by my ISP. Encapsulation is PPPoE and i put my login and password, leaving the service name empty. Everything else here is set to default. Next I went into Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup and put the WAN Preference to Must use Ethernet WAN as I read that in a few threads. Everything else is disabled except IGMP Proxying here.

Take into account, doing any changes was hard my PC wouldn't connect to routerlogin.net through any connection, so I had to use my phone which would show me the "you are not connected to this wifi" in the routerlogin main page unless I cleared the cache and browsing history of the browser after every change I applied.

Current state and results are like this: if I have the settings I mentioned above, after plugging in the WAN cable, the internet light is orange and doesn't change (I have not left it in for a long period of time to see if it will magically connect, but I left it for a decent time where it should have connected fine), if the WAN Preference is on Must use DSL WAN, nothing happens and the internet light doesn't even light up. The internet works perfectly fine on the default tp-link router provided by TPG. Netgears attrocious support of 90 days is expired and I don't want to pay another 100$ minimum to just enable their support services again.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Re: Can't setup nbn WAN connection on Nighthawk D7000v2

Quick update, after clicking the "test" button, the connection type switched back to ADSL and I can't change it for some reason. It is only changeable if I put the WAN preference back to use DSL, change connection to VDSL and then change the WAN preference to WAN Ethernet. Then it jumps back to ADSL after any additional change gets applied and its stuck without the ability to change it again

Message 2 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] D7000v2

Firmware version?

> [...] I plugged the cable from the modem to the 4th LAN port which is
> this routers WAN port. [...]

Ok.  What is your "the modem"?

> [...] changed the Transfer mode to PTM(VDSL) and DSL Mode to VDSL2.
> [...]

If you're no longer using a DSL connection, then why are you fiddling
with DSL-related settings?

> [...] my PC wouldn't connect to routerlogin.net through any
> connection, [...]

"through any connection"?  What kind of "wouldn't connect"?  You
should be able to reach the D7000v2 management web site using a name
like "routerlogin.net" from any device which is connected to the
D7000v2, unless the device has some odd-ball DNS configuration.  And
even then, its default LAN IP address (default: "192.168.0.1") should
work.

Message 3 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Not sure how to do the quoting thing so I will just post your line above my answer.

• Firmware version?

The version is V1.0.0.51_1.0.1

• Ok. What is your "the modem"?

It is just the nbn box, Arris CM8200.

• If you're no longer using a DSL connection, then why are you fiddling
    with DSL-related settings?

I am no expert on DSL, but from what I understand, it is still DSL, but I am no longer on ADSL, this new nbn thing is considered VDSL. I put the "transfer mode" to PTM(VDSL) (which is the technology used for this connection apparently) instead of ATM(ADSL). I had to choose one of them. That is what the ISP said to me as well. The DSL mode I didn't touch, it only had the one option, which was VDSL2, I was mearly reading it out and putting it here to indicate it was set to VDSL2. At least before it was unchangeable and was set to ADSL as default but greyed out. Now I can't touch it at all anyways.

• "through any connection"? What kind of "wouldn't connect"? You
    should be able to reach the D7000v2 management web site using a name
    like "routerlogin.net" from any device which is connected to the
    D7000v2, unless the device has some odd-ball DNS configuration. And
    even then, its default LAN IP address (default: "192.168.0.1") should
    work.

By "throught any connection" I was implying ethernet or wifi. When I first connected to it with the cable and the notification popped up on the site saying new network connected with the whole "network 2" and allow public to see you on this network, it worked fine. I logged onto the routerlogin.net without issues. But after the initial attempt to change stuff, it just doesn't load regardless of what I put into the address bar. I tried a different browser after that but it still wouldn't load. I also tried connecting with cable and with wifi just to see if that would change something but nothing changed. It does open fine on the phone, which is where I modify things, but I have to reset the cache and history constantly in order to load it properly. I don't want to delete all my browsing history on the PC so that is why I didn't try clearing the cache and everything else there. I could try doing it on a laptop instead probably if it is somehow important to do it there?

Message 4 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] Arris CM8200.

https://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-cm8200-cable-modem/

> I am no expert on DSL, but from what I understand, it is still DSL,
> [...]

If you're connecting an Ethernet cable from your new cable-TV-type
modem to the WAN/Internet port of your (modem+)router, and you're
connecting nothing to its DSL port, then you're not using DSL.  Perhaps
some other NBN users are, but you're not.

> [...] Now I can't touch it at all anyways.

I don't see how it could matter, even if the D7000v2 lets you change
it.

> [...] When I first connected to it with the cable and the notification
> popped up on the site [...]

"notification popped up on the site"?  What, exactly, did you see
where, exactly?

> [...] But after the initial attempt to change stuff, it just doesn't
> load regardless of what I put into the address bar. [...]

Do you get an error message from your browser?  "regardless" is not a
helpful description of what you tried.

At this point, you might try a settings reset, and reconfiguration
(ignoring any DSL-related parameters).

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for something like
"Factory Settings" and "Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber
Service".

Note that this part of the D7000v2 User Manual is lousy with errors,
so, you might want to look at the R7000[v1] User Manual, too.

> [...] I don't want to delete all my browsing history on the PC [...]

Really shouldn't be necessary.

Message 5 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Yup, thats the one. Just a different faceplate as nbn here put their logo on the front. Nothing wrong with it though, all the lights are on and it works fine with the router that was provided.

• If you're connecting an Ethernet cable from your new cable-TV-type
    modem to the WAN/Internet port of your (modem+)router, and you're
    connecting nothing to its DSL port, then you're not using DSL. Perhaps
    some other NBN users are, but you're not.

I know what you mean and I do agree with you, nothing is connected to the DSL port, only to the WAN/Internet port, but that is what the ISP told me and when I had a short talk to Netgear themselves they refered me to this site: https://kb.netgear.com/30577/Specify-a-VDSL-connection-without-a-login-requirement

In any case, if this is insignificant then that is just one less potential problem. The option is greyed out and not configurable and I can't tick or untick it so it should be fine.

• I don't see how it could matter, even if the D7000v2 lets you change
    it.

In that case great! I just wanted to provide as much info as possible and if that isn't a problem than I can look for it elsewhere.

• "notification popped up on the site"? What, exactly, did you see
    where, exactly?

Just the windows 10 notification centre on the right saying new connection setup. The default thing whenever you have a new connection, it gives it a name like Network 4 or something and asks if you want other devices to see you on this network and how they recommend this for home but not public places bla bla.

• Do you get an error message from your browser? "regardless" is not a
    helpful description of what you tried.

I tried things you mentioned, like 192.168.0.1 and routerlogin.net and all sorts of 192 sites that are generally used to access the router settings. It works at first on routerlogin.net and then after the change it just says no internet and doesnt load it anymore, same page that pops on a browser when you visit any page without internet connection.

As for the setting up, I never went for any DSL option, it is just what was there to begin with. Only thing it asks me is for the country, ISP and then it shows Transfer mode (which only has ATM(ADSL) or PTM(VDSL)). From what I understand I at least HAVE to change the WAN setting to always use the Ethernet WAN as it is set to always use DSL WAN by default and the internet light doesnt light up at all. And at this point the DSL settings don't even matter as you said and they are greyed out. I tried reseting it with the reset button on the back and setting up but I can only use the manual setup as the netgear genie shows me the error with no DSL/Internet cable connected.

I provided the picture of the settings just to show what I mean. Lastly, I just opened the manual for the router and in the "Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service" the picture again shows the modem to be connected to the DSL outlet and not the 4th LAN port dedicate to WAN cable... It also states to "Use an Ethernet cable to connect the cable or fiber modem to the red Internet port on the modem router" even though it has no red ports whatsoever. The manual is just wrong in general and doesn't show proper information for the router and the R7000 doesn't have connect to fiber or cable that I saw at first but I will keep looking.

Message 6 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Message 7 of 19

Did your research find this?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As that shows, there are different flavours off the dreaded NBN. How you proceed depends on knowing exactly what they delivered to you.

Message 8 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] you might want to look at the R7000[v1] User Manual, too.

Oops.  That was supposed to say "D7000[v1]", not "R7000[v1]".  Sorry.

Message 9 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Yep, looked into it and looked up my address on the nbn site, states I have the HFC one. It says D7000 is suppose to work on any of them, unless they mean only v1 and not 2. But if not, then I dont understand why these issues are happening as it says that the D7000 will "automatically detect your modem connection when the modem is connected to the designated WAN port, so no additional configuration is required."

Yet it doesn't do that...

Message 10 of 19

@PuppetMaster000 wrote:

Yep, looked into it and looked up my address on the nbn site, states I have the HFC one.

HFC = Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial. It is not DSL.

@PuppetMaster000 wrote:

It says D7000 is suppose to work on any of them...

The Netgear website is confusing. The D7000 should work with HFC, but not as a modem.

If you read on, the article also says "or one of our home routers".

What it should have said is "You can use a NETGEAR DSL modem router, such as the DXXX,  as a router ."

Just to confirm, you did you connect the Internet from the NBN cable modem to the WAN port on the D7000?

When you do this, it is essential to do things in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn it on modem. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on computers.

And do this after a factory reset on the D7000.

Message 11 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Yeah by logic it shouldn't be DSL, I don't know what my ISP is smoking cause they were the ones that told me to put it as VDSL as if that is HFC.

And correct, I am using it as a router, not modem. The tv looking cable thing goes from the wall outlet into the nbn box, which should be the modem here. From that I have a plugged cable going from what is called the UNI-D1 port (only ethernet port on the modem) to the 4th LAN Netgear port designated for WAN on the router.

I think the order is the part I probably messed up. I will try it out again as you mentioned and go from there.

Just to confirm, the factory reset it done just by holding the reset button on the back, correct?

Message 12 of 19
antinode
Guru

> Just to confirm, the factory reset it done just by holding the reset
> button on the back, correct?

> [...] Get the User Manual. Read. Look for something like "Factory
> Settings" [...]

Message 13 of 19

@PuppetMaster000 wrote:

Yeah by logic it shouldn't be DSL, I don't know what my ISP is smoking cause they were the ones that told me to put it as VDSL as if that is HFC.

The ISP's techies may not be the most clue up people on the planet. They certainly won't know about the multitude of devices that people want to slap on to their networks.

@PuppetMaster000 wrote:

Just to confirm, the factory reset it done just by holding the reset button on the back, correct?

"Button" is probably not the best description. Some people interpret that as meaning the on/off switch.

The button is buried in the indented "hole", accessible to a straightened paperclip or toothpick.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 14 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

Yeah you guys can't really know how familiar people asking for help here are so I should have been more specific haha. I did indeed mean the little burried hole and reset it with a needle. As for the ISP people, indeed, most they did was read off of the menu in front of them which didn't result in anything. I also tried setting it up with the steps talked about, in the order and everything, but no progress. And I can still only access the routerlogin.net from my phone from some reason and not PC through wifi or cable connection, at least not until I go through the initial steps on my phone. It is really weird.

I ended up calling Netgear and even with all of their troubleshooting information we couldn't get it to work. They filed an RMA so hopefully the new one I get will work or I may just go get a router with a dedicated WAN port because this is getting ridiculous...

Message 15 of 19
lauriiiane
Aspirant

Hi,

Any solution in this issue?
We experiencing the same!

Thanks,
Lo
Message 16 of 19

@lauriiiane wrote:

Any solution in this issue?
We experiencing the same!

Search - NETGEAR Communities – nbn D7000v2

Message 17 of 19
lauriiiane
Aspirant

I spent hours trying to find any solution in the community before reasking.
Impossible to find anything that could help me beside this one then it’s not ending up with a solution anyway.
My question was related to this specific issue. Any solution?
Message 18 of 19
PuppetMaster000
Aspirant

I ended up returning the router to the store. Called netgear to try set it up, they didnt manage so they opened an RMA for me. Didnt even want to bother trying with the new one. I will buy a different one, this router is really just garbage
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7