Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't unbrick D7000

Can't unbrick D7000

Usual story, did a firmware update via the GUI, followed all the rules, and it's now bricked.  
I've tried uploading the firmware to it using tftp as recommended, but I always get the message "Connect request failed".
From what I understand, I should run a ping in a separate window and wait for TTL=100 to appear during the router boot sequence.  However, I never see this - it ALWAYS shows TTL=64.
Any ideas?
Malcolm
Canberra, Australia.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 19

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

.... it's now bricked.  

That's a widely abused and misunderstood term.

Start by describing what leads you to that conclusion. What do the LEDs on the thing look like?

Message 2 of 19
antinode
Guru

> I've tried uploading the firmware to it using tftp as recommended,
> [...]

"tried"?  "as recommended" by whom?

Not a useful description of what you did, or what happened when you
did it.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you "Tried" it doesn't say much.  As usual, showing actual
actions (commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.  Especially when using a command-line program,
copy+paste is your friend.

> [...] I always get the message "Connect request failed". [...]

When you do _what_?  See "As usual, [...]", above.

> [...] From what I understand, [...]

You gained this "understanding" how, exactly?

> [...] I should run a ping in a separate window and wait for TTL=100 to
> appear during the router boot sequence. However, I never see this - it
> ALWAYS shows TTL=64.

The precise Time-To-Live value is not important. On my Mac, "ttl=64"
is the norm.

With my weak psychic powers, I can't see your "ping" command or its
actual output.  Or what your D7000[vX] is doing, or which OS is on your
computer, or much else.

> Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

D7000[v1] or D7000v2? Look for "Model" on the product label.
Firmware version and/or file name which you're trying to load?

Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the reply
I did a firmware update on the D7000 some time ago, followed procedure faithfully, and it wouldn't come up fully. For the time being I went to my reserve modem/router, but its 5Ghz connection appears to be dying and so I took another look at the D7000.

The messages I get on the browser window that appears as it boots are:
Screen 1 - two broken image icons, "Checking the Internet connection, please wait"
the Screen 2 - broken D7000 image icon, "Configuring the Internet connection" (second line): You are not yet connected to the Internet (third line):  Select Country
There is nothing else on the screen - no list of countries or anything else.  I can't go further and meanwhile it won't talk to the Internet.  IOW, it is not functional and I can't fix it because I assume the firmware is corrupted.  I thus consider it bricked.

The lights on the D7000 when it has booted are:  power, 2.4GHz, 5 GHz, 3 (port PC connected to), Wifi, WPS.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Message 4 of 19

Thanks for the reply
I followed the procedure listed in this thread:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-R7000-bricked-after-SW-reboot/td-p/1136724

I've set my PC to a static IP address on the same subnet, and connected it to the router via a cable using port 3.
The pings I get from the D7000 (using ping -t) when I try to upload the firmware via tftp are:

"Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64"

The upload string and response are as follows:

"PS D:\downloads> tftp -i 192.168.0.1 PUT D7000-V1.0.1.78_1.0.1.img
Connect request failed"

I am using a PC running the latest Windows 10

The information about the importance of TTL=100 came from another thread on this site:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-bricked-during-firmware-update-to-1-0-...

I faithfully put down what the model label on unit said:  D7000.  Had it been a D7000 v2 I would have said so.

You can see the firmware version from the tftp command line earlier on.

Please let me know if you need any more information.  As you can see I have based all my actions on procedures and information contained on this manufacturer site.

Message 5 of 19

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

I did a firmware update on the D7000 some time ago, followed procedure faithfully, and it wouldn't come up fully.

I don't know what "fully" means. That the device does anything tells us that the D7000 is not "bricked" as most people understand that term. A truly bricked device is dead and will noit respond however you try to get into it.

Again you don't tell us how you got into the device. With a browser and a wired connection to a particular address? (The default would be 192168.0.1 or www.routerlogin.net)

This is another partial clue:

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

The lights on the D7000 when it has booted are:  power, 2.4GHz, 5 GHz, 3 (port PC connected to), Wifi, WPS.

I say partial because we really need to know what the lights show. We know they are there, which is what that seems to be saying. But are they on? If so. what colour?

The manual tells you what they should look like on the D7000.

Tell us about the power LED. Is that a nice permanent "solid white" colour?

The instructions that you linked to are for TFTP. They are usually for a specific condition, a genuinely bricked device.

TFTP may not be appropriate for your D7000, not because it won't work but because it is not straightforward and the instructions for using TFTP on a bricked device are not the same as those for one that is just misbehaving.

This bit is another clue:

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

The messages I get on the browser window that appears as it boots are:
Screen 1 - two broken image icons, "Checking the Internet connection, please wait"
the Screen 2 - broken D7000 image icon, "Configuring the Internet connection" (second line): You are not yet connected to the Internet (third line):  Select Country
There is nothing else on the screen - no list of countries or anything else.  I can't go further and meanwhile it won't talk to the Internet.  IOW, it is not functional and I can't fix it because I assume the firmware is corrupted.  I thus consider it bricked.

That you get this far is an indicator that your modem/router doesn't need that sort of attention. Again this is based on incomplete information from you, especially on the state of the power LED.

Here's a couple of few to try.

• a simple factory reset
  • a more thorough "recovery reset"
    • Press reset for 30 seconds
    • Keep pressing reset while removing power
    • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while applying power

• Reflash the firmware with the current version

It might help if you provided copies of the screen shots you refer to. It is easily done with Alt + Print Screen. (You can also try the fancy new version of the Snipping Tool in Windows.) Then attach them to a message using the Browse ..." button (see below).

Message 6 of 19

Thanks for the reply.

By not coming up fully, I meant that it came up with the messages I posted.  I didn't have to do anything - it opened its own browser window as it came up.  I had the computer connected to it via an Ethernet cable to port 3 on the D7000 using the address I listed in an earlier reply.

All the LEDs I listed are solid white.

Past my bedtime here so I'll try the resets and send screen dumps tomorrow.

Message 7 of 19

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

By not coming up fully, I meant that it came up with the messages I posted.  I didn't have to do anything - it opened its own browser window as it came up. 

OK. That sounds like it is trying to set itself up with the wizard.

The messages are helpful, but their context is also useful. The screens they appear on and the surrounding text. That's why screen shots are valuable.

@Malcolm_Street wrote:

All the LEDs I listed are solid white.

The D7000 is not, then, bricked, with terminally broken firmware.It may have corrupt firmware, with errors, but that does not put it beyond recovery using safer tactics.

I would abandon attempts to "unbrick" it. Carry on down that road and you might do irreparable damage.

Message 8 of 19

"Here's a couple of few to try.

• a simple factory reset
  • a more thorough "recovery reset"
    • Press reset for 30 seconds
    • Keep pressing reset while removing power
    • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while applying power

• Reflash the firmware with the current version

It might help if you provided copies of the screen shots you refer to. It is easily done with Alt + Print Screen. (You can also try the fancy new version of the Snipping Tool in Windows.) Then attach them to a message using the Browse ..." button (see below)."

Sorry, I put the problem to one side for a while.

Re. the things to try:
- simple factory reset - done that before, doesn't work
- recovery reset - tried this tonight, no difference.
- reflash firmware - wasn't able to, see earlier posts.

I've attached dumps of the screens that come up as the router boots.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Message 9 of 19

Couldn't find the Browse button, so here's the second screen dump:

Message 10 of 19
msysmilu
Aspirant

How is this still a problem? It's quite embarrassing for Netgear. I do have a D7000 and it's practically bricked.
I know the support rudely corrected the OP as this is not "bricked" but i don't want to tinker with recovery modes and firmwares.
Either I'm offered a new router or I'm never buying netgear again. It's that simple.
Message 11 of 19

@msysmilu wrote:
I do have a D7000 and it's practically bricked.

Can you explain what you mean by "practically bricked"?

"Bricked" is a binary thing. Either the D7000 is bricked or it isn't. There aren't shades of brickedness. So "practically bricked" is hard to interpret.

If the power LED is not solid white, and stays solid amber, the thing is bricked. Anything else is a different issue that should be fixable.  You just have to explain what is happening on your device.

@msysmilu wrote:
Either I'm offered a new router or I'm never buying netgear again. It's that simple.

If your device is still under warranty, start the return process. If it isn't you are out of luck.

Start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@msysmilu wrote:
I know the support rudely corrected the OP as this is not "bricked" but i don't want to tinker with recovery modes and firmwares.

Read it again. There has been no input from "support" or any suggestion that the thing was not "bricked", simply questions trying to understand what was happening on the D7000 that @Malcolm_Street owns.

Any questions asked here are also those that the official support teams will ask before agreeing to any warranty return.

Message 12 of 19
msysmilu
Aspirant

"Can you explain what you mean by "practically bricked"?"
It seems you're answering your own questions...
But I'll help by suggestion you Google "practically".

In this case, Netgear, by offering a firmware update of the device that makes the device unusable, is nothing short of robbery.
Again, i don't care how you define bricked. For me, the intended functionality is gone and therefore the router is a shiny expensive brick.

Now, i appreciate your comments and input.
Given what you said, I'll never buy Netgear again as they are bricking users' devices post warranty.
Message 13 of 19

Is it too difficult for you to look at the power LED and tell us what it looks like?

Message 14 of 19
msysmilu
Aspirant

No, not at all difficult.
I received the information about the Nordic of that light. And i disagree with it. Because i define "bricked" differently than you.

It's continuous white.

Btw, are you actually Netgear support or are you a really helpful member of the forum? Appreciated!
Message 15 of 19

@msysmilu wrote:
Because i define "bricked" differently than you.

Define it as you like. But to make any sense you have to use the same definition that the rest of the world understands. Otherwise this is a pointless conversation.

@msysmilu wrote:

It's continuous white.

As just about everyone else understands it, your router does not have corrupt firmware. I would look for other reasons why it isn't working.

@msysmilu wrote:

Btw, are you actually Netgear support ...

I have nothing to do with Netgear. Look at the "hard wired" text at the bottom of every message I post.

Message 16 of 19
msysmilu
Aspirant

That's why I used "practically bricked" and not bricked.

I don't think it's a corupt firmware. But even after resetting it, i can't get on the admin page to configure my Ppoe net connection.
Message 17 of 19

@msysmilu wrote:
That's why I used "practically bricked" and not bricked.

I don't think it's a corupt firmware. But even after resetting it, i can't get on the admin page to configure my Ppoe net connection.

That is completely different. It is not, as 99% us would see it, "bricked".

Your description is also muddled.

Saying "i can't get on the admin page" is an incomplete description.

How do you try to access the admin page?

What happens when you try?

Detailed step by step descriptions of what you do and what you see is essential information when troubleshooting.

Then there is the bit about "Ppoe net connection". What does that mean?

You are trying to set up a DSL connection? You configure the DSL settings, PPPoE is a subset of that.

Message 18 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] it's practically bricked. [...]

Making a poorly-defined term even more vague was not an improvement.

> [...] i don't want to tinker with recovery modes and firmwares. [...]

Sadly, that might be the only path forward,

> Either I'm offered a new router [...]

I wouldn't hold my breath.

> [...] or I'm never buying netgear again. It's that simple.

Tell someone who cares?

> [...] i define "bricked" differently than you. [...]

So, not a very useful term to use in a technical problem description,
was it?  Or was solving the problem not your actual goal?

> That's why I used "practically bricked" and not bricked. [...]

See "not an improvement", above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty#Lewis_Carroll's_Through_the_Looking-Glass

Not a useful philosophy when trying to solve a technical problem, I
claim.

> [...] i can't get on the admin page to configure my Ppoe net
> connection.

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.  A clear description of what _does_
happen would be more useful than a vague description of what does _not_
happen.

Are you seeing a page with a broken-image icon, like the one attached
above, or what, exactly?

For a related discussion:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2069009

> [...] You configure the DSL settings, PPPoE is a subset of that.

Not really.  PPPoE is a router/Internet setting, not one of "the DSL
[modem] settings".

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7