Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the D6200 Conntect dirrectly to Fiber connection?

Sci0n
Aspirant

Can the D6200 Conntect dirrectly to Fiber connection?

How do you st it up to connect directly to the ADSL line thats connected to the wall -

as right now my set p is like this;

large.jpg

I want to connect the Netgear D6200 directly to the wall by the ADSL line (gray cable) how do you do this???

Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can the D6200 Conntect dirrectly to Fiber connection?

Hello Sci0n

It depends on the type of fiber connection if you are able to do this or not.

http://kb.netgear.com/30439/What-is-an-NBN-network-and-is-my-NETGEAR-DSL-modem-router-compatible?cid...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Sci0n
Aspirant

I want to connect the D6200 direct to the grey cable that comes out the wall socket to the d6200

So its - Wall socket > grey ADSL cable to router (D6200) . then ethernet cables to PC etc...

Message 3 of 5

The D6200 is a modem/router. If you want to connect it to another modem, use the grey WAN/Internet socket on the back. Then look in the manual in the WAN setup bit of the manual:

D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Unfortunately, unlike the D6400, the D6200 is not a VDSL modem, so you cannot use it as a modem on BT Infinity, if that is what you have. (Fiber could mean anything, FTTC or FTTP are very different.) Infinity is the one with a standard copper cable arriving at your front door.

The diagram you show has two obsolete BT boxes. The Homehub 3 is an old ADSL modem. The white box is probably an old VDSL modem. These days BT provides the Homehub 5 or 6.

If you stick with the old BT VDSL modem, it probably comes with 10/100 Ethernet LAN. Newer Homehubs and recent Netgear modems do 1000 Mbps Ethernet. If you are on Infinity, then your Internet speed will be below 100 Mbps, so you probably won't notice any difference between that and a newer device, but it is worth considering when you decide to do away with those two boxes and replace them with a single VDSL modem/router.

Message 4 of 5
Sci0n
Aspirant

So if I get a Netgaer D6400, I can then have it set up like;

Wall > Netgear D6400 > All Devices

So the Grey calbe coming from the master socket will go into the D6400?

hub5_connecting_to_standard_socket.pnghub5_connecting_to_standard_socket.png

Are there any other Netgear routers that Support this way of connection or is it just the Netgear D6400?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7