Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the D7000 router / modem connect wirelessly to another router?

bkrtron84
Follower

Can the D7000 router / modem connect wirelessly to another router?

Hi,

Just wondering if I can use my Nighthawk to connect to another modem wirelessly? 

I have recently to get a 4G modem wireless setup due to horrible wired internet where I live. I have to use this modem due to the SIM card and it's connection to a 4G network. 

I want to see if I can use the wireless on the Nighthawk to connect in to the 4G modem wireless? They both have 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Extend the range in my home. 

I can't see any Bridge Mode in the Nighthawk only the Access Point Mode in the Wireless Access Point which needs to be connect via the ethernet cable. I personally don't know enough about what I am trying to look for. 

Can some one point me into the right direction?

Thank you 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Can the D7000 router / modem connect wirelessly to another router?

Wouldn't it be easier to plug the modem into the router?

wifi from modem to router would be harder to set up.

Message 2 of 10
rjhfandclf
Aspirant

I have exactly the same question ... and no, unfortunately, any surface wiring to connect is not possible here, so it has to be wireless. Would an ethernet adapter of some kind work???

(NB not sure if the previous reply picked up that we (both so far I think) are talking about connecting to a 4G LTE mobile broadband router here)

Thanks

Message 3 of 10

@rjhfandclf wrote:

(NB not sure if the previous reply picked up that we (both so far I think) are talking about connecting to a 4G LTE mobile broadband router here)

The original message did not specify which 4G modem. But one way to solve the problem of connecting it to a router would be to plug the modem into a powerline plug and then to plug the router into a plug at the other end.

Maybe that is what you mean by an "ethernet adapter".

Powerline might be more reliable than relying on a possibly dodgy wifi link between modem and router.

By the way, the D7000 is a modem/router, not just a router. But you can set it up as an access point.

Message 4 of 10
rjhfandclf
Aspirant

Thanks – that’s helpful. I didn’t put the full detail on this forum as I thought I would try to latch on here to save duplication. As my Mobile B/B router is a brand new ‘hotspot’ 5G TP-Link M7350, I also have the query lodged with their tech support direct ...

“Because we have no useable ADSL broadband, I need to use the router as an in-home modem (i.e. not primarily for travel). Also, because I need good access throughout a large and ‘rambling’ building, I now want to continue to use my existing (and new) Netgear D7000 5G modem router as an extension/access point only; BUT, this router will only connect in this way via Ethernet cable – which is 1) not possible from the M7350, and 2) I am not able to run cables anyway. I think there must be a way of connecting wirelessly (via an Ethernet adapter, perhaps?) so would very much appreciate your help in guiding me with how to do this, and what I might need to purchase for the purpose.”

The term ‘Ethernet adapter’ came from a new search for answers, so I’m not sure what it entails myself yet. I hadn’t thought of Powerline in this context. I tried it once before instead of a wireless extension, but it didn’t work because in the early days their sales blurb omitted to point out that it would not work across different electrical circuits. I would have to see if I can avoid that here for it to work – but certainly worth a thought, so thanks for that.

Message 5 of 10

@rjhfandclf wrote:
I tried it once before instead of a wireless extension, but it didn’t work because in the early days their sales blurb omitted to point out that it would not work across different electrical circuits. I would have to see if I can avoid that here for it to work – but certainly worth a thought, so thanks for that.

It depends on the circuits. If it all comes off the same fuse books, then powerline should work fine. I even have it running across two fuse boxes, into a separate  building, all running off the same mains feed. It is slower, but it works.

If you have a large and rambling building then wifi will also be a problem.

Message 6 of 10
rjhfandclf
Aspirant

TP-Link tech support say that the 4G modem will simply be able to connect via WPS to the Netgear in Access mode. I am not at all sure this is correct, but I am about to go away for a week and can't try anything out till I return as I don't want to open my new TP-Link M7350 in case it is not what I need and it needs to go back - also EE sent me the wrong data sim which needs replacing.

However, I still need to come back on this, as I can't still work out what to do. I have thought again about the Powerline suggestion, but don't see how this can work,as the M7350 is entirely wireless and has no viable outgoing sockets like ethernet to plug into anything, so it can only connect wirelessly.

I suppose what I was think was that there is some kind of bridge available that I can plug into the internet-in ethernet socket of the D7000 that will pick up the wireless signal from the M7350.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10

@rjhfandclf wrote:

However, I still need to come back on this, as I can't still work out what to do. I have thought again about the Powerline suggestion, but don't see how this can work,as the M7350 is entirely wireless and has no viable outgoing sockets like ethernet to plug into anything, so it can only connect wirelessly.

Excellent point, and a good reason for not buying the TP-Link M7350.

It might be a great little toy for on-the-road use, but at home I'd go for something more versatile as a modem.

LB1120 | LTE Modems | Mobile Broadband | Home | NETGEAR

When it arrives.

Message 8 of 10
rjhfandclf
Aspirant

Thanks - I did have a look at this when researching this problem, but couldn't make out if it would connect wirelessly to the existing router as I prefer. I was hoping not to have the units very close together (hence the wireless need) as I want to place the 4G unit higher in a tall open staircase area in best direct line with the nearby aerials - although that is for optimum only.

I was also concerned that it seems to be an add-on to an existing hard-wire ADSL line ... which is what I want to get rid of, to save some money, as that doesn't work beyond a few 100K. Is an existing wired broadband essential for it to work or can it stand alone with 4G LTE?

I note the Netgear links are all US-related - including the 'pre-order' links - but Amazon UK seems to have a NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem LB1111 with PoE which seems fairly similar to the 1121 version - albeit much more expensive than the TP-Link 'toy'.

I am very grateful for all your help. If you think the LB 1111 would work as above (with or without the optimum wireless connection), I might go for that as I can't carry on much longer as I am, and there is no idea as to when or if the LB 1120 will be available in the UK.

Message 9 of 10
rjhfandclf
Aspirant

@rjhfandclf wrote:

I note the Netgear links are all US-related - including the 'pre-order' links - but Amazon UK seems to have a NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem LB1111 with PoE which seems fairly similar to the 1121 version - albeit much more expensive than the TP-Link 'toy'.

P.S. I meant to note also that Amazon UK also have the equivalent LB 1110 without PoE (which I probably wouldn't need) - and which is a bit cheaper.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7