Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can this modem router be used to boost my main router in home?

pmcintyre1004
Follower

Can this modem router be used to boost my main router in home?

I have NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, Model D7000.  I have a main wifi router that provides wifi to my home, but due to distance, am wondering it I can use this modem to boost connections elsewhere in my home.  Suggestoins appreciated. 

Message 1 of 2

Re: Can this modem router be used to boost my main router in home?

@pmcintyre1004 wrote:

I have a main wifi router that provides wifi to my home, but due to distance, am wondering it I can use this modem to boost connections elsewhere in my home. 

Is the D7000 the  modem for your existing network? Or is it just something that you have lying around?

Putting a router (the D7000) in front of another  router would mean having two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The rest of your message is not clear to me. What do you expect the D7000 to do? Be an extra wifi source? Replace the existing router's wifi?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7