Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot access router

BABS12
Aspirant

Cannot access router

I do not have access to my router in anyway. When I type in routerlogin.net or .com, I am directed to an authentication required page which required a username and password. I type in admin for the username and password for the password and nothing happens, but the authentication required page comes back over and over and over again. We have never changed the router in anyway. I have rebooted the router several times, but am unable to get on to see anything about the router. I have tried the ping with ip address, nothing happens. I have tried this with a Chromebook and with a PC using different browsers--all continue to direct me to authentication required continuously. Any suggestions for how I might get into my router? I have no problem with internet, but I am trying to install an Obi200. I had an Obi110 that died and I believe it is the router that is preventing me from installing, so I need to take a look at what's going on. I am not savvy at all, but I know I ought to be able to access my router and check into things. Thanks for any help any might be able to offer.

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 13
aldenf
Aspirant

Try clearing the cache/cookies on your bowser.  Try a different browser.  You can try using the routers IP address to reach the dashboard.  By default, the IP address is 192.168.1.1.  This should aslo bring up the login screen.  Unfortunately, the WNDR4300|N750 does not have a physical reset button to restore all factory parameters.  A "factory reset" must be performed from within the dashboard.  You can always try running the genie Mobile App from a phone or tablet.  I have no experience with the app, so I can't help you much there.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] Unfortunately, the WNDR4300|N750 does not have a physical reset
> button to restore all factory parameters. [...]

The User Manual says otherwise (which would make much more sense).

plain/v1 ("Factory Settings", page 129):
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300/WNDR4300v1_UM_30Oct2015.pdf

v2 ("Factory Settings", page 152):
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300v2/WNDR4300v2_UM_23dec2014.pdf

When in doubt, visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model
number, and look for Documentation.  The User Manual should explain the
procedure.

Message 3 of 13
aldenf
Aspirant

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Unfortunately, the WNDR4300|N750 does not have a physical reset
> button to restore all factory parameters. [...]

The User Manual says otherwise (which would make much more sense).

Good catch!  Reset button is on the bottom of the unit.  I should have spent more time in the manual before replying.  Well done.

Message 4 of 13
BABS12
Aspirant

I want to thank you all for replying. I reset the router to its factory reset, and I cleared my cache. This time I have a Netgear Genie header, but the authentication required login window comes down. It will NOT accept admin and password as username and password, even though this is what the manual suggests. This has been my problem all along. I have no way to access my router without getting into netgear in some way. I have used the ip address, I have used routerlogin.net, and routerlogin.com and I have reset it to the factory default, but unless someone else can offer a username and password that the authentification required login will accept, I can't seem to go any furthr. Any other advice about what else can be done? Much thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 13
BABS12
Aspirant

In case anyone else is ever in my shoes, I should add, after much research on the web, I have Consolidated Communications as my internet provider now (they bought out SureWest) I have tried Surewest admin and password information that generous people have put onto various websites, as well as CCI information. None of the passwords work. From what I have read, I will have to call on Monday to get this information, if they will give it to me. I cannot access the Netgear Genie to update the router without it. Once I get it, I will let people know what I've learned in case anyone else has this frustrating issue. 

Message 6 of 13

@BABS12 wrote:

From what I have read, I will have to call on Monday to get this information, if they will give it to me. I cannot access the Netgear Genie to update the router without it.

Passwords from your Internet service provider will do nothing to get you into your router to update the firmware.

Is your router connected to the Internet?

Message 7 of 13
BABS12
Aspirant

Yes, my router is connected directly to the internet provider's equipment (large box that connects outside (not a router) that brings in the internet. Perhaps I am mistaken, but if I have read correctly, I cannot access my router because the internet provider (who provided me the router) has it locked. I read these two articles and it seems to me that a password from my internet service provider (who provided the router) will get me into my router, or the Network Genie portion that deals with the router. Am I still mistaken?

https://tpsconsulting.blogspot.com/2014/12/consolidated-communications-cci-router.html

http://toddnestor.com/hacking-the-netgear-wndr4300-router/

Message 8 of 13

@BABS12 wrote:

This time I have a Netgear Genie header, but the authentication required login window comes down. It will NOT accept admin and password as username and password, even though this is what the manual suggests.

How is your device connected to the router?

The best way to connect is with a wired Ethernet (LAN) link.

If you are using wifi, then you have to start with the username (SSID) and password for the wifi before you can contact the router through its own browser interface.

Message 9 of 13

@BABS12 wrote:

....if I have read correctly, I cannot access my router because the internet provider (who provided me the router) has it locked.

That's a new one on me. Never heard of an ISP locked router. Modems yes. And when it comes to modems supplied by an ISP, support is down to them, not Netgear.

If the ISP provided the router, who knows what they did with the passwords? You'll have to ask them.

The normal advice to people who cannot login to a router because they don't know the password is to factory reset. That gets you back to the default login details admin and password.

But several people have already suggested this to you.

I fear that we are going round in circles.

Message 10 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] the internet provider (who provided me the router) [...]

If the ISP provided the router, then why not ask the ISP these
questions?

If the ISP has configured the router in a custom way, so that a full
reset restores the ISP-customized settings rather than the usual Netgear
default settings, then there may be little that can be done by anyone
here.

Message 11 of 13
BABS12
Aspirant

I asked my question concerning the netgear router prior to knowing that Consolidated Comminications locks the routers they send, even if they are netgear routers. I went through all the usual ways of getting into the router, including going back to the default, and nothing changed. It was only after researching what might be happening that I realized I would probably have to talk with the ISP to get answers. I simply wanted to share that in the hopes that I could possibly save someone all the time and energy I spent in case they use CCI as their ISP and run into this issue. Didn't mean to waste anyone's time.

Message 12 of 13
Patstevens
Aspirant

Thanks for this, I was tearing my hair out trying to log into this router but unfortunately did not realise I could retrieve the login and password from the custom firmware router they provided until after I did a factory reset and saw their name surewest on the router page. Unfortunately after doing the reset I cannot get the router to work with my cable modem anymore even though it did before the reset. I was hoping you might be able to check your router settings and see if there are any custom settings required to make it work with surewest as currently my router gets an IP address from the cable modem but still won't allow any connection to the internet. Are there custom dns servers that need to be manually inputted?

This router has been customised by the ISP and they changed the login name from admin to their own and added links to their website within the Netgear interface.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7