Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot access the router settings if router is connected to the modem

SwissJames
Aspirant

Cannot access the router settings if router is connected to the modem

Hello everybody

I can only access the router settings through routerlogin.net, it the router itself is working standalone, i.e. without connection to the modem.

If I try to access the router settings with the connection to the modem (by cable or by air) the following message is displayed:

"You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

If the router is connected to the modem, the lan and wlan are working fine.

Resetting to factory defaults did not solve the issue.

I have no problems accessing the router settings of an other router (Netgear R6400) connected to the same modem (Vodafone) with the same laptop.

Access with Netgear Genie is not possible either: The following error message is shown if I try to access the router settings: "Netgear router is not found or not supported. Also make sure the router is not connected to the guest network and no IPv6 is enabled"

I have no problems  accessing the router settings of an other router (Netgear R6400) connected to the same modem (Vodafone) with the same laptop.

(OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit has the same issues)

Firmware D3600: V1.0.0.61_1.0.1

Any suggestions how I can fix this issue ?

Thank you

Hans

Model: D3600|N600 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11n Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
SwissJames
Aspirant

Thanks to your input I managed to set up my network and resolve the issue of accessing the D3600 without disconnecting it from the LAN.

I configured the following setup:

R6400 acts as a Router, but the Vodafone is not set in bridge mode.They call it "Legacy RG IPv4 Mode". if I disable this mode I loose the VoIP phone I am using.

The DHCP Server of the R6400 was using the IP-Address-range 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254, I changed it to 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.199

On the D3600 I set the LAN TCP/IP range of IP addresses to 10.0.0.200 and unchecked the "Use Router as DHCP-Server" box.

The situation looks now as follows:

Vodafone:

Vodafone.jpg

One connection is active: the one to the R6400

R6400:

R6400.jpg

All connected devices are shown. The D3600 has the IP 10.0.0.200.

Devices connected to the D3600 are shown under the headind "Wired devices" (because connected to the R6400 via LAN ?)

The D3600 situation is as follows: (Access to its settings is now possible with IP 10.0.0.200)

D3600.jpg

The wireless devices connected to the D3600 are shown under the headings "Wireless devices".

Problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Hans

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

In order for routerlogin.com to work, the device that is attempting to log into the router must be connected to either the router's Wi-Fi network or LAN port. Note: This only works with Netgear routers. The alternative is to use the router's IP address to log in.

Since you have a separate Vodaphone modem that also appears to be functioning as a router, you'll probably want to set up the D3600 as an Access Point.  This would entail assigning the D3600 a static IP address in the main subnet that doesn't conflict with the main router's DHCP address range, disabling the DHCP server and connecting one of the D3600's LAN ports to the network.

Message 2 of 9
SwissJames
Aspirant

Hello TheEther

Thanks for the prompt answer.

My problem is only that I am unable to access the router settings of the D3600. The internet connection through the D3600 are working fine.

The D3600 is linked to the vodafone modem through a LAN cable. it is plugged in the "LAN4 WAN" socket.

I have tried to access the router through the ip-address 192.168.0.1. Result: it shows the vodafone modem.

ipconfig/all shows the following parameters for the connection with the D3600 5G: I do not see an ip-address to access the D3600.

ipconfig_D3600.jpg

I need the D3600 as an access point, as the signal from the from the R6400 is not strong enough to cover the whole area.

As I understand from your answer, in order to use the D3600 as an access point, I have to change the settings of the vodafone modem and not settings of the D3600 ?

Regards

Hans

Message 3 of 9

@SwissJames wrote:
I have tried to access the router through the ip-address 192.168.0.1. Result: it shows the vodafone modem.

First, that screen grab is too small to read. Alt+PrintScreen is a good way to capture the topmost window.

I am puzzled by the references to R6400 and D3600. What's the network layout?

TheEther, who knows best, has already explained that you need to turn the D3600 into an access point.

Where does the R6400 fit into the picture?

Message 4 of 9
SwissJames
Aspirant

I am puzzled: why should the way the D3600 is connected to the modem affect whether I am able to access the D3600 router settings ?

Anyway: the actual ipconfig of the Win 10 Laptop connected to the D3600. As you may have noticed, English is not my mother tongue. So please excuse if my writing is difficult to understand...

ipconfig_D3600-2.jpg

Tried to insert the screenshot, but had to go through paint... I hope it is readable now

As for the network-layout, it looks like this:

Network-layout.jpg

The idea was to use the modem from Vodafone as modem only and provide the WLAN for guests.

All our own traffic should go through the R6400 router with its firewall. So the printer could be used from any point of the internal network (LAN "to be"). (As the signal of the R6400 does not reach the whole area I want to cover and more centric position of the R6400 is not possible, I bought the D3600 to cover the area the R6400 could not reach.)

Did not work, as the D3600 would not communicate with the R6400. In order to have an internet connection through the D3600 I connected it directly to the modem (LAN "as is")

Probably I need to configure the D3600 as access point, but I am unable to access it when connected to the modem, Or do I have to do this in the R6400 ?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Hans

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

@SwissJames wrote:

I am puzzled: why should the way the D3600 is connected to the modem affect whether I am able to access the D3600 router settings ?

Because it determines whether the D3600 receives the request from a device to connect to it.  I'll explain further, below. 

Anyway: the actual ipconfig of the Win 10 Laptop connected to the D3600. As you may have noticed, English is not my mother tongue. So please excuse if my writing is difficult to understand...

ipconfig_D3600-2.jpg

Tried to insert the screenshot, but had to go through paint... I hope it is readable now

Judging from the ipconfig output, I believe this Win 10 laptop is not connected to the D3600. There are two reasons:

1. The default gateway (Standardgateway) is 192.168.0.1.  You earlier indicated that this address belongs to your Vodaphone.  The factory IP address used by the D3600 is 192.168.1.1.  If your laptop was connected to the D3600, it would likely have reported the default gateway as 192.168.1.1.
  2. A Netgear router always reports its own IP address as the DNS server.  This would appear in the ipconfig output as a DNS server address of 192.168.1.1.  This is not what we see.

If I were to guess, this laptop is probably connected to the Vodaphone's Wi-Fi network.  Be default, it is not possible to access the D3600's settings through the WAN port.  The D3600's built-in firewall will block the connection request.

As for the network-layout, it looks like this:

Network-layout.jpg

The idea was to use the modem from Vodafone as modem only and provide the WLAN for guests.

This is generally not possible.  To function as a modem, all routing, firewall and Wi-Fi functions must be disabled.

All our own traffic should go through the R6400 router with its firewall. So the printer could be used from any point of the internal network (LAN "to be"). (As the signal of the R6400 does not reach the whole area I want to cover and more centric position of the R6400 is not possible, I bought the D3600 to cover the area the R6400 could not reach.)

Did not work, as the D3600 would not communicate with the R6400. In order to have an internet connection through the D3600 I connected it directly to the modem (LAN "as is")

Probably I need to configure the D3600 as access point, but I am unable to access it when connected to the modem, Or do I have to do this in the R6400 ?

Thanks for the help.

Let's start with a guiding principle.  There should be only 1 device that functions as a router in the network.  With this in mind, there are two options for setting up your network.

Vodaphone as Router

This option is probably the most straightforward.  Your Vodaphone is already functioning as a router.  Therefore, configure the R6400 and the D3600 as Access Points.  The R6400 is easy to set up.  Log into it and go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and select Enable AP Mode.  

To set up the D3600 as an Access Point, we first need to pick an IP address for it to use.  Log into the Vodaphone and go its DHCP server settings.  Adjust the range of addresses to free up at least 1 IP address.  For example, you could set up the Vodaphone DHCP server to assign addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.199.  This will leave IP addresses 192.168.0.200 through 192.168.0.254 free.

The easiest way to access the D3600's settings is to disconnect it from the network and connect a single laptop to LAN port 1.  Then point a browser at routerlogin.com.  Go to Wireless Setup and set up the Wi-Fi network, as desired.  Next, go to LAN Setup and change the IP address to 192.168.0.200.  Next, disable the D3600's DHCP server.  Then, click Apply to save the changes.  Your laptop may lose its connection to the D3600.  That is ok.  You are done setting it up.  Disconnect the laptop and connect LAN port 1 to the Vodaphone.  In the future, you can use 192.168.0.200 to access the D3600's settings.  You can also connect a laptop to one of the LAN ports or connect to the D3600's Wi-Fi network and use routerlogin.com.

You will need to force all devices to acquire new IP addresses.  This simplest way to do this is to reboot them, but toggling their Wi-Fi interface will work, too.  Devices will obtain IP addresses from the Vodaphone (i.e. between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.199).

R6400 as Router

You must put the Vodaphone in bridge mode.  This will disable all routing and Wi-Fi functions, as I mentioned earlier.  You may need to consult the Vodaphone documentation or look online for instructions for putting it into bridge mode.  Once this is done, proceed to set up the D3600 as an Access Point.  Instead of using 192.168.0.200, you will want to use something like 192.168.1.200.  Log into the R6400 and adjust its DHCP server settings in a manner similar to as described above (i.e. change the R6400's DHCP server range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199).  Then connect the D3600 LAN port 1 to the R6400.

If you can't figure out how to put the Vodaphone into bridge mode, then use the Vodaphone as Router option.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 9
SwissJames
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer. I'll try th proposed versions and will keep you posted.

As for the ipconfig regarding the D3600: the laptop insists it is connected to the D3600.

I made a screenshot of the network screen

WLAN on.jpg

The networks available at the present location are:

available WLAN.jpg

Netgear53V belong to the D3600

Netgear68H belong to the R6400

No direct connetion to the Vodafone Router is established.

The apps on the smart TV connected to the D3600 are working

My mobile is connected to the Netgear53V.and its apps are working.

TCP/IP information (WIFI connection manager app) says:

IP-address: 192.168.0.11

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

If I klick on the IP-Address it says "website not reachable"

if I klick on the Gateway-Address,the vodafone sign-in page is displayed.

Regards

Hans

Message 7 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Log into your Vodaphone and look at list of devices it has detected.  One of them may correspond to your D3600.  Use that IP address to log into the D3600.  If that fails to work, then follow my suggestion to disconnect the D3600 from everything except for 1 laptop.  Then log in and set it up.  This will enable you to assign an IP address of your choosing.

Message 8 of 9
SwissJames
Aspirant

Thanks to your input I managed to set up my network and resolve the issue of accessing the D3600 without disconnecting it from the LAN.

I configured the following setup:

R6400 acts as a Router, but the Vodafone is not set in bridge mode.They call it "Legacy RG IPv4 Mode". if I disable this mode I loose the VoIP phone I am using.

The DHCP Server of the R6400 was using the IP-Address-range 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254, I changed it to 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.199

On the D3600 I set the LAN TCP/IP range of IP addresses to 10.0.0.200 and unchecked the "Use Router as DHCP-Server" box.

The situation looks now as follows:

Vodafone:

Vodafone.jpg

One connection is active: the one to the R6400

R6400:

R6400.jpg

All connected devices are shown. The D3600 has the IP 10.0.0.200.

Devices connected to the D3600 are shown under the headind "Wired devices" (because connected to the R6400 via LAN ?)

The D3600 situation is as follows: (Access to its settings is now possible with IP 10.0.0.200)

D3600.jpg

The wireless devices connected to the D3600 are shown under the headings "Wireless devices".

Problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Hans

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7