Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect D6220 modem to Telstra FTTN NBN

Another-Evan
Aspirant

Cannot connect D6220 modem to Telstra FTTN NBN

Hi,

I am trying to connect my model D6220 (AC1200 WiFi VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router) to my Telstra/Bigpond NBN connection, in place of the modem that Telstra supplied me.

Using the Genie to configure, it gets to a page entitled, "BigPond Internet Connection Detected" with input fields to allow me to enter the login name and password.

Unfortunately, there appears to be an HTML error on that page, as there is no <form> element around the input fields, and I get javascript console errors when clicking the "Next" button.

bigpond_connection_detected.png

This is extremely frustrating!!

So I tried doing a manual setup instead, but I connot seem to get the right settings to get the thing working.

internet_settings.png

The Login and Password I actually enter are the same ones that log me into the telstra.com.au site, and I was told these are the same credentials needed for the modem, but no luck.

FYI the modem is running the latest firmware: v1.0.0.28_1.0.28

Any ideas?

E.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Another-Evan
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect D6220 modem to Telstra FTTN NBN

Turns out Telstra does not use authentication on nbnco services, it uses iPoE (dynamic assignment). So do a VDSL connection WITHOUT a login is the way to go in this case.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the stupid Telstra Sagemcom modem to set behind the Netgear modem all my steps in this crazy dance will be complete.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

@Another-Evan wrote:

Unfortunately, there appears to be an HTML error on that page, as there is no <form> element around the input fields, and I get javascript console errors when clicking the "Next" button.

What pages is this? Are you using a browser to get at the modem's control interface?

Maybe the "wizard" has kicked in and is trying to be helpful.  If so, you could try a manual setup.

There is a manual for your device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6220 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See chapter 3.

Message 2 of 7
Another-Evan
Aspirant

Yes, I am using a browser to get at the modem's control interface.

I was using the Setup Wizard (what the interface calls the "NETGEAR genie"), which spent some time detecting my internet connection, then came up with the screengrab I showed above. (Which has no <form> around the <input> elements, so no form to submit after I've put in the user name and password.)

After that failed, I did try a manual setup, using the settings in the second screen grab.

Message 3 of 7

@Another-Evan wrote:

After that failed, I did try a manual setup, using the settings in the second screen grab.

Did you check that those are the correct settings. One source, the Netgear page, suggests that it could be either VDSL or VDSL2.

Message 4 of 7
Another-Evan
Aspirant

Turns out Telstra does not use authentication on nbnco services, it uses iPoE (dynamic assignment). So do a VDSL connection WITHOUT a login is the way to go in this case.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the stupid Telstra Sagemcom modem to set behind the Netgear modem all my steps in this crazy dance will be complete.

Message 5 of 7

Well done. It doesn't help that different ISPs use a bewildering array of login regimes.

@Another-Evan wrote:

Now if I can just figure out how to get the stupid Telstra Sagemcom modem to set behind the Netgear modem ....

Why do you want to do that? And what do you want to achieve?

If the plan is to use the modem as a wifi access point it may be a simple case of plugging into the Netgear modem's LAN. There might even be something on "Access Point" in the Telstra modem's manual.

Message 6 of 7
Another-Evan
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Why do you want to do that? And what do you want to achieve? 

Well, a bit outside the scope of this forum, but I have a Commander VOIP phone that connects to my work's phone system, and the "land-line" home phone supplied by Telstra, which I have to access through the modem they supplied. For whatever reasons, the Commander VOIP phone wouldn't work thorugh the Telstra modem. Hours of support calls with both Telstra and Commander made that seem to be a fruitless pursuit.

So the Netgear modem allows my to plug the Commander phone into something other than the crappy Telstra supplied modem. The Telstra suplied modem now sits behind the Netgear modem just to supply the home phone line.

All seems to be working now.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7