Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect the R6400 to NBN no WAN light on connection

zekefont
Aspirant

Cannot connect the R6400 to NBN no WAN light on connection

Hi,

Yesterday I purchased tge RC6400 after doing a quick search to see that it was NBN compatible, which it stated it was in a netgear article along with a NBN post and Whirlpool Forum post, based on this I thought I would be good to go. Plugged it in and did not recieve any signal and an IP address was not assigned. Spent several hours searching the web and trouble shooting and still no luck getting the WAN to connect. Started researching more this morning and now I find an article that states that this router is not compatible with FTTN NBN connections. 

Can someone confirm if this is the case, so if I can determine whether to persist with trying to get thiis thing going or if I have brought a $200 paper weight.

Settings I have applied to router:

ISP Username & Password

Protocol PPPoE

VLAN ID Disabled (Did try enabled)

MTU 1492

My service provider is barefoot (Mate Telecom)

I connected the ethernet to a different router and the connection light on that router started flasing indicating it was trying to connect. The new router the light doesn't come on at all.

Side Note - Profile states located in the US, but my address is in Australia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Zeke

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
zekefont
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect the R6400 to NBN no WAN light on connection

Thanks michaelkenward, went through your recommendation and then returned to the store as it turns out the Router is NBN ready, just not suitable for NBN FTTN Connections which is what I have. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] Plugged it in and did not recieve any signal and an IP address
> was not assigned. [...]

"signal"?  "not assigned" to _what_?  You don't need a working
Internet connection to talk to your router from your own LAN.

> [...] The new router the light doesn't come on at all.

Which "the light"?  What do all the LED indicators indicate?  What
are you trying to connect to your new router, and how?  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

Message 2 of 6
zekefont
Aspirant

Sorry I may not have the technical knowledge as yourself, so when trying to explain something that your not fully understanding is no simple task. So let me try again.

I unpackaged the router, connected the power cable and the ethernet cable for my nbn connection (this comes from a wall socket for our connection). I switched the router power on.

I then connecting a LAN cable from the router to my laptop to update the settings on the router with my ISP's login details and settings as per the original message. I completed this task and set up the Wifi. 

At this point I was expecting that the Internet Light would either be white (The internet connection is ready) or at least amber (The router detected an Ethernet Cabe connection to the modem). This did not occur and the light did not come on at all.

When viewing the dashboard on NetGenie it showed Internet was not connected and when I went into the Internet overview it showed that the IP address was 0.0.0.0.

For your information I have been searching knowledge papers and forums questions and answers for hours and I downloaded the manual and read through relevant sections. If it gave me what I was looking for obviously I wouldnt be asking a questions would I. Im not sure why the condescending and arrogant tone was required in your response, I assume that you lack social skills and therefor do it to feel superior, thats ok lots of people dont know how to self reflect and grow.

Message 3 of 6

I assume that the power LED is as expected. A nice Solid white

Can you connect something like a PC to the internet without putting the router in the middle?

This bit is worrying:

At this point I was expecting that the Internet Light would either be white (The internet connection is ready) or at least amber (The router detected an Ethernet Cabe connection to the modem). This did not occur and the light did not come on at all.

You are right. If you have something plugged into the Internet Port, the Internet light should show some sign of life. That's even if you screw up something in the installation process, like doing stuff in the wrong order.

I'd be tempted to take it back to the supplier and get a replacement.

The simplest test you can try is the factory reset. (Check the manual.) A more severe version is:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If the Internet light still fails, take it back without hesitation.

Don't be fobbed off with "send it back to Netgear" responses. It is down to the seller to supply something that works.

Message 4 of 6
zekefont
Aspirant

Thanks michaelkenward, went through your recommendation and then returned to the store as it turns out the Router is NBN ready, just not suitable for NBN FTTN Connections which is what I have. 

Message 5 of 6

@zekefont wrote:

I am a bit surprised by that. Modems I can understand, but a router should be able to live with any internet that you throw at it. The challenge is in setting it up.

I have seen similar reports of setup problems with optical internet. There isn't the usual option for booting the whole network in the right order.

As you have found NBN comes in different flavours.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

NBN is a regular topic around here.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7