Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Century Link DSL IPOE authentication with Static IP

Pacukiller
Follower

Century Link DSL IPOE authentication with Static IP

I am looking for a DSL modem router to work with my Century Link service. In my Area Century Link uses IPOE authentication not PPPOE. I would like to use the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 or new model. In the setup documentation its states  your PPOE username and password is needed. Can IPOE authentication be used also, and is there documentation as to how to set it? My setup is IPOE with a static IP address provide from Century Link?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Century Link DSL IPOE authentication with Static IP

@Pacukiller wrote:

I am looking for a DSL modem router to work with my Century Link service. In my Area Century Link uses IPOE authentication not PPPOE.

The best people to ask about compatible devices are at Century Link. Does it have a user group that you can consult?

Non-CenturyLink Modem Information | CenturyLink

I would like to use the Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2 or new model. In the setup documentation its states  your PPOE username and password is needed. Can IPOE authentication be used also, and is there documentation as to how to set it? My setup is IPOE with a static IP address provide from Century Link?

I do not know what you men by setup documentation. Is that the modem or the ISP?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and check the documentation for the hardware.

In general DSL is a dead technology for Netgear. It hasn't produced anything new in years and has abandoned the DSL modem only market. Experienced users prefer to keep their modems and routers apart.

A standalone modem lets them pick whatever router they like, which gives a much bigger choice of features. They can also mix brands. You can usually put a Netgear router behind any modem you like.

I assume that by PPOE you mean PPPoE. The only Netgear device that mentions IPoEE in the Technical Specifications is the D2200D ADSL Gateway. Released in 2014, that seems to be one of those "made for ISPs" devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7