Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting VEGN2610-1FXAUS to a different ISP

brad2020
Aspirant

Connecting VEGN2610-1FXAUS to a different ISP

Hi Netgear Community.

I was wondering if I could get some guidelines on how to connect VEGN2610-1FXAUS - Foxtel Hub to a different ISP since i have changed my provider recently but i still want to use this amazing modem/router rather than the terrible one i have been provided with.

Any help is appreciated.
Brad
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Brad2020

If your new ISP allows customer owned modems you should be able to log into the router and go through the setup again and put in the new credentials and it should work.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
brad2020
Aspirant

Hi Darren ,
My new ISP does allow for this. But my router does not allow any other isp addresses than the original to be put in. The extension for the address is locked as ....@foxtel.com.au where as my new isp is ...@bigpond.com.au.
Message 3 of 11
gmac05
Aspirant

I have the exact same question.
Message 4 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Was this modem provided by foxtel? have you tried to factory reset the device to see if it will clear it?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 11
brad2020
Aspirant

Tried and tested and not working.
Is it possible that this router is locked to foxtel and that is why the firmware is coded to have @foxtel.com.au unremovable ??
If so what is the process of flashing it's firmware so the gateway resets ?
Message 6 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Brad2020

yea with modems provided by the ISP they could have it locked down to just there service.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 11
brad2020
Aspirant

Well I figured as much. What is the process of flashing the firmware ?
Message 8 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

No way to flash the firmware as it all goes through the ISP for this specific moden unless you are able to find a 3rd party firmware which Netgear does not recommend using.

DarrenM 

Message 9 of 11
brad2020
Aspirant

So netgear recommends me having to put this modem away because I can't use it ?
That is definitely not useful.
Message 10 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

Suggest you to hard reset both modem and router to erase all the trace of your previous ISP. Then seek guidance from your new ISP. They may need to download  f/w to connect(register) your stuff to their system. My ISP does not allow any other modem. Only one they supply and they track it by serial number.  Their system will never accept unknown modem. For an example when I get a modem replacement first thing I do when I connect it and power up, I have to call ISP asking for activation of new modem. Otherwise it won't do anything. You said

new ISP allows other modems. They should activate it. I don't think it is case of PnP.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7