Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D/R7800 1.0.1.47 Broken DNS Update

MrTimK
Aspirant

D/R7800 1.0.1.47 Broken DNS Update

Hey guys,

Got an odd issue that I have just encountered after updating my X4S D7800 (Australian Version of the R7800).

After updating just now to the latest firmware (1.0.1.47) from 1.0.1.44 the DNS update process seems to be broken. What happens is:

- Going to the internet options page on the modems admin page

- Change the DNS options to anything valid

- Click "Apply"

- Progress bar goes along, gets to about 1/5th the way through then the "Internet" light will turn orange

- Any additional updates to the DNS will not fix this

The only way to make the internet connected once again is to fully reboot the modem via the main options page

This is quite inconcvient as I tend to update the DNS settings of my modem often. In the past it simply updated and it was fine with the net persistently connected, but with this need to reboot every time will be a huge hassle for me when I update the DNS.

I could roll back to .44 (and I may do that), but is there any potential for fixing this in a firmware update or is there some other way to resolve this without a rollback?

Cheers

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Bigfaceal
Aspirant

Betreff: D/R7800 1.0.1.47 Broken DNS Update

Tell me about it MrTimK, I did spent more than a few hours Today trying to work out what I did done wrong with the new firmware . Now I know that it was the firmware (1.0.1.47 Not Good NETGEAR at all!! So I did have to roll back to 1.0.1.44 to get back onto the net lucky me that I did save a copy of the old firmware(1.0.1.44) on my laptop. I hope there's a fix coming for it NETGEAR!!! Not Please at all.
Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: D/R7800 1.0.1.47 Broken DNS Update

@MrTimK wrote:

Got an odd issue that I have just encountered after updating my X4S D7800 (Australian Version of the R7800).

Nothing Australian - the D7800 is a Nighthawk® X4S AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router and not the same product like the R7800 - even if the X4S seem to imply something the like. Correct community section would be DSL Modems Routers despite of the Nighthawk marketing designation.

Afraid, that's not the first and by far not the last bug introduced with some firmware updates.

Message 3 of 7
MrTimK
Aspirant

Oh right. Good call schumaku, I had no idea. If this needs to be moved to the other section, then that's fair enough.

On the issue though, if these firmware updates are as you say and break stuff often, I may in fact just roll back. Netgear should really be more care I with what they introduce into their patches though...🤦‍♂️
Message 4 of 7
xamerin
Aspirant

Hi, after upgrading to 1.0.1.47 I could no longer connect to TPG NBN service.  I was able to fix the problem by downgrading to 1.0.1.44.

Is there any way of notifying NETGEAR that their latest firmware upgrade is broken?  Obviously my device is out of warranty and support, but it would still be good if there was a way of notifying NETGEAR about such problems?

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 7
MrTimK
Aspirant

Agreed xamerin. That's why I posted here too. Out of warranty no clear way to notify or contact Netgear directly about this significant problem with their firmware release. Seems kinda dumb..?🤔🤦‍♂️
Message 6 of 7
Quesabyte
Tutor

Same for me
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements