Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D1500 Firmware upgrade - File is too Large

D1500 Firmware upgrade - File is too Large

Following a purchase of this router with v15 software (UK) I was able to upgrade firmware manually to v18 (UK) but the latest - v23 (UK) - comes back with the error. It is approx 10K larger than the v18 file. 

I have searched and found a thread with the identical problem going to v20 but the closed thread doesn't provide a solution.

I have tried the auto-update but this (even when it was on v15) said there were no updates available - which is obviously untrue.

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 1 of 13

@computerclinic wrote:

Following a purchase of this router with v15 software (UK) I was able to upgrade firmware manually to v18 (UK) but the latest - v23 (UK) - comes back with the error.

When do you see this error? When flashing from the local file?

Message 2 of 13

Yes - at the start of the upgrade procedure - it shows the upload of the file in progress - as it reaches 100% it then switches to the message "File is too large"

I have tried both Chrome and IE to flash this firmware and both produce the same result.

I see an earlier thread where this happened on an earlier release (v20) and the author had a case generated, so no answer appeared in the community.

Message 3 of 13
markANTHONYgb
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue, with the same router.

Message 4 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am suffering the same issue on the v1.0.0.23AU firmware. File is too large error after it uploads to modem.

Has there been any further updates on this issue or any fixes I can try.

Really would prefer having the most up to date firmware especially considering the huge security issue you had recently with a number of devices.
Please expedite your reply!

Message 5 of 13

The security issues affected devices listed here:

Security Advisory for VU 582384, PSV-2016-0245 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The good news is that the D1500 isn't on there.

Message 6 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Michael I am aware of my device not being in the list, but my trust has been lost with netgear since that security advisory.

So was hoping netgear care about their small devices issues and not just the expensive ones, I still would like to know if there is a remedy to the fault of netgears firmware file version 1.0.0.23AU file to big error if anyone at negear knows whats causing it?

Message 7 of 13

I was eventually able to install the latest UK firmware by first upgrading to the "1.0.0.23 All regions except  United Kingdom & Australia" (which installed without error) and then upgrading to the UK version. Hopefully that will work for you with the AU version too.

I have a few of these routers so will leave one on the original firmware and keep checking to see if Netgear upload a fixed UK version before I mark this as Answered. Preventing people from installing firmware that includes Security fixes really isn't acceptable.

Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi computerclinic, your steps worked perfectly for the AU firmware too, thank you so much!! Smiley Very Happy

Hope netgear rectify this properly as its not a user problem its a lazy netgear issue Smiley Wink

Now netgear fix this so others dont have to jump through hoops

Message 9 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

I brought this to the attention of the engineers and they are investigating the issue.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 13
DewayneG
Aspirant

Thanks for pursuing DarrenM.  Though its 3 weeks later and still...

Hobbsie, much appreciated.  Without your comment, I probably would've avoided the All Regions except UK & AU update.  I applied that (PE) update and then the AU update and it all worked nicely.   The added bonus was that I didn't need to reconfigure the device, after the firmware updates, as my original settings were retained.  Thankyou.

Message 11 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Your most welcome DewayneG, glad I was able to help, just hope netgear can rectify and make it less of an issue now.

@DarrenM Has there been any update from the engineers yet about this issue?

Message 12 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello hobbsie

I have not heard a update on this from the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7