Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D200 firmware update

marc2629
Initiate

D200 firmware update

Hello,

I'm using this modem with a nighthawk R8000P router. I have read the instructions on how to update the firmware and it mentioned connecting the  mdoem to my PC and going to routerlogin.net.

However when I connect the modem to my PC via ethernet I get "unidentified network". I guess this is because the modem is set up as a modem and not a typical network device that my PC would connect to (apologies im not too familiar with terminology 🙂 )

I have already updated the R8000P via routerlogin.net although I doubt this also does the modem at the same time?

Would really appreciate any help. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@marc2629 wrote:

I'm using this modem with a nighthawk R8000P router. I have read the instructions on how to update the firmware and it mentioned connecting the  modem to my PC and going to routerlogin.net.

It is a bit more complicated than that.

There is no D200, perhaps You may mean DM200. If you are using that with the R8000P the DM200 is probably in modem-only mode. (It should be for an easy life.)

As the manual says:

After you disable the modem’s routing features and the modem functions as
a DSL modem only, you can access the modem only through a fixed IP address,
which is 192.168.5.1. Therefore, make sure that IP address 192.168.5.1 is not
assigned to another device on your network.

If you want to get into the entrails of the DM200 after that, you need to follow the instructions in the section:

Reenable the Modem’s Routing Features

You don't need to make that change, leave it on modem only mode, but while you are in there you can update the firmware in the usual way.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@marc2629 wrote:

I'm using this modem with a nighthawk R8000P router. I have read the instructions on how to update the firmware and it mentioned connecting the  modem to my PC and going to routerlogin.net.

It is a bit more complicated than that.

There is no D200, perhaps You may mean DM200. If you are using that with the R8000P the DM200 is probably in modem-only mode. (It should be for an easy life.)

As the manual says:

After you disable the modem’s routing features and the modem functions as
a DSL modem only, you can access the modem only through a fixed IP address,
which is 192.168.5.1. Therefore, make sure that IP address 192.168.5.1 is not
assigned to another device on your network.

If you want to get into the entrails of the DM200 after that, you need to follow the instructions in the section:

Reenable the Modem’s Routing Features

You don't need to make that change, leave it on modem only mode, but while you are in there you can update the firmware in the usual way.

Message 2 of 4
marc2629
Initiate

Thanks so much for this 👍👍 and yes I did mean DM200. Tried to find an edit but couldn't see it so if mods can edit title to DM200 to help others find solution. 

I'll expand on the steps a bit more for those that might need it.

• Change IP address of your ethernet adaptor to 192.168.5.x where x should not be 1 (thats the modems IP). I used 10.
  • Change subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
  • Plug ethernet cable into PC and Modem yellow port
  • Log in via internet browser 192.168.5.1 using your modem (not router!) usename and password (good time to change default password)
  • Update firmware as per normal steps (if you have your modem configured like I did you won't be able to do this via the "check" button as the modem relies on the router for the ISP login, so you'll need to download this from netgear website first)

Hope that helps someone.

Message 3 of 4

Glad it worked.

It is a pity that Netgear's instructions are useless for anyone trying to upgrade the modem/router in modem only mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7