Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 Factory Reset

BarrowWight
Aspirant

D6200 Factory Reset

I have recently done several factory resets on my D6200 Router as I had forgotten my password.

Each time I am taken staright into the router settings without a password.

The trouble is I am unable to change the password as I it seems that my password has not been returned to the default of "password".

I have also tried "admin" just in case but no joy.

This happen in every setup case, i.e. Auto Setup, Manual Setup and Restore from File.

Help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
BarrowWight
Aspirant

Re: D6200 Factory Reset

Well I have cracked it, with the help of Netgear support.

Although I was out of my 90 day free support, I was just inside my warrantee period so I logged a support call.  They gave me 1 complimentary call and resolved the issue.  At their suggestion I did another reset and held it for 30 seconds.  Although this took me straight into the router setup page I was able to change my password by entering “password” as the old password.

I am sure that I tried this before but maybe not after I had done the hard reset.

What I found odd was after I had done this I was required to enter the login “admin” and the new password again immediately even though it appeared that I was still logged in.

Anyway, top marks to Netgear for the complimentary support and thanks Michael for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies

Maybe your browser has remembered your password.

Have you different browser you can try?

What address are you using to access the browser?

There are various options. Maybe a different one would work.

www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net

Try the other one. Or the IP address.

Remember, for a factory reset "hold the Reset button on the back of the router for at least 5 seconds".

Message 2 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I have not had a chance to try your suggestions yet. I have been using www.routerlogin.net.  I will try the alternatives.

I thought it may be my browser (Firefox) remembering the password so I deleted all the history but that didn't help.

I will try IE and see if that is any different.

Message 3 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

I have now tried the folowingto no avail:

Factory reset then log in with a different browser.

Unplug all the cables except power then factory reset, plug in laptop and ADSL line then log in with a different browser.

Unplug all the cables except power then factory reset, plug in a different laptop and ADSL line then log in with a different browser.

Unplug all the cables except power then factory reset, plug in a different laptop (ADSL line left uplugged) line then log in with a different browser.

Unplug all the cables except power then factory reset then power off, factory reset again then a combination of above.

I can only assume that the password is not being reset with a factory reset.

I have ensured that I have held the reset button in for sufficient time, sometimes up to 30 seconds.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Does anyone know of a helpline to Netgear (not the help pages as they only say what is supposed to happen, not what does happen).

Any help appreciated!

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 14

Apart from doing that lot standing on your head, the only other thing I can think of is to see if you can get in through the back door. For example:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

I have just seen another post suggesting a hard (or 30,30,30) reset.

"Try doing a 30/30/30 reset on the router to wipe the memory away. A 30/30/30 is the router is on and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, while you hold the pin down disconnect the power adapter and hold it for 30 seconds, then while still holding down the reset pin connect the power adapter and hold the pin another 30 seconds"

Nice idea but it  didn't help either.

Message 6 of 14

This may sound insulting, but you are using the router password aren't you? Not the wifi password?

I ask because people have confused the two in the past.

Message 7 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

Thanks for your posts Michael. I feel like Sunday morning would have been better spent standing on my head!

Regarding the pasword, I am not insulted, Sometimes the blindingy obvious gets overlooked.

I am trying the router password.  One issue that bugs me is that I keep having to reset the wifi password after I have messed around so that the family can get back on the internet so I am familiar with both.

Firmware upgrade, I may try that this evening if I get time.

I just can't understand why the router seems to keep a password when eveything else gets reset.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14

@BarrowWight wrote:
One issue that bugs me is that I keep having to reset the wifi password after I have messed around so that the family can get back on the internet so I am familiar with both.

Most odd.

One thing you could do to make life a bit easier on this front is to save the modem's configuration. Then, after you have been through yet another attempt to reset the beast you can reload the saved settings.

Yet another thing you could try is to tame this beast using the standalone desktop genie rather than the browser to get into the modem.

If you haven't already tried it, find it here:

D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 9 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

Well I have cracked it, with the help of Netgear support.

Although I was out of my 90 day free support, I was just inside my warrantee period so I logged a support call.  They gave me 1 complimentary call and resolved the issue.  At their suggestion I did another reset and held it for 30 seconds.  Although this took me straight into the router setup page I was able to change my password by entering “password” as the old password.

I am sure that I tried this before but maybe not after I had done the hard reset.

What I found odd was after I had done this I was required to enter the login “admin” and the new password again immediately even though it appeared that I was still logged in.

Anyway, top marks to Netgear for the complimentary support and thanks Michael for your suggestions.

Message 10 of 14

@BarrowWight wrote:

Hmmm.

Message 11 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@BarrowWight wrote:

Hmmm.

Michael,

I see you doubt me.  Never mind, after all I was the numpty who forgot my password in the first place! Smiley Embarassed

Message 12 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

@BarrowWight wrote:

I have recently done several factory resets on my D6200 Router as I had forgotten my password.

Each time I am taken staright into the router settings without a password.

The trouble is I am unable to change the password as I it seems that my password has not been returned to the default of "password".

I have also tried "admin" just in case but no joy.

This happen in every setup case, i.e. Auto Setup, Manual Setup and Restore from File.

Help would be appreciated.

Michael,

Check out my first post.  I knew I had tried the default password at some stage! Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 14
BarrowWight
Aspirant

And, by the way.  Thanks for your help!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements