Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 Router - Bandwidth restrictions?

AndyP_999
Aspirant

D6200 Router - Bandwidth restrictions?

I'm running a Netgear D6200 router on a 200/200 Fiber connection in South Africa.

It seems like my speeds are limited to 100mbps. On speed testing via the router we achieve high 90s up and down. But when I test with a direct connection via the service provide ONT we get >190mbs.

Can you please advise if this is a firmware or hardware limitation on this model router?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 7

Re: D6200 Router - Bandwidth restrictions?

@AndyP_999 wrote:

I'm running a Netgear D6200 router on a 200/200 Fiber connection in South Africa.

The D6200 is a DSL modem/router. I assume that you are bypassing the modem bit and plugged into the WAN port from your ONT.

What firmware version do you have on the D6200?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It seems like my speeds are limited to 100mbps. On speed testing via the router we achieve high 90s up and down. But when I test with a direct connection via the service provide ONT we get >190mbs.

How are you measuring this 100 Mbps?

One suspicion has to be that somewhere in your network there is a device on the LAN that has "fast" Ethernet. That is limited to 100 Mbps.

We see that here a lot. It is usually when someone connects a 100 Mbps router to a Gigabit modem. In this case, the D6200 is Gigabit, so I would look somewhere else for the bottleneck.

Message 2 of 7
AndyP_999
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the reply.

Firmware Version
V1.1.00.40_1.00.38

I didn't see anything newer on Netgear site.

Ran the ONT test plugging a cable into the ONT WAN and into my PC Ethernet. Then setup a broadband connection using my ISP credentials. 

Example test using the D6200

https://www.speedtest.net/result/13975142024

When I did the ONT WAN direct connection testing via speedtest.net I got ~190mbps both ways.

'there is a device on the LAN that has "fast" Ethernet. That is limited to 100 Mbps.'

Interesting  - I can check the switch I have connected to the network. But the specification is: 16 Port Gigabit PoE switch. And when I performed the tests via my D6200 - I disconnected the switch. Plugged my PC directly into the D6200 via ethernet to LAN port.

Appreciate your input. 

Message 3 of 7
AndyP_999
Aspirant

I would really appreciate help here. I've tried disconnecting everything from the modem router. And tested with different cables. Although the same cables give me 190mbps via ONT WAN connection. All speed tests return  ~90mbps. It is really frustrating. I've supported netgear products since 2001. There must be an explanation why the bandwidth is limited via this device.

Message 4 of 7
AndyP_999
Aspirant

I have connected an alternative modem\router to the fiber line.

Connected my 16 port switch as well

And I get 190/190.......

Results:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/7aff149d-17c0-4359-9a3c-94dc33d9af83

Connection_Det.png

Capture_Speed.PNG

How do I resolve this 100/100 restriction on my Netgear D6200?

Message 5 of 7

@AndyP_999 wrote:

I have connected an alternative modem\router to the fiber line.

Connected my 16 port switch as well

Where is that switch in the network?

I get the feeling that your setup is a bit more complicated that it seems at first sight.

You don't need a switch if you have something that goes

modem >> router >> PC

<a href="" title=""></a>

Message 6 of 7
AndyP_999
Aspirant

Hi Michael, the switch is there for LAN ethernet distribution and WIFI access points through the house.

The test setup is:

ONT>D6200> Ethernet LAN Port 1 (Laptop) - speeds 90/90

Used the above setup in testing speed to remove potential impact of switch

I merely mentioned that in the test with the ZyXel  SBG3300 - achieved high speeds using both the setups below:

ONT>ZyXel> Ethernet LAN Port 1 (Laptop)

ONT>ZyXel> Ethernet LAN Port 1 (Laptop) & LAN Port 2 (16 Port switch)

Thanks again for your effort in trying to resolve my issue. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7