Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 Serial Console Flash Backup - Possible telnet enable?

filter4ever
Aspirant

D6200 Serial Console Flash Backup - Possible telnet enable?

Hi, I have a Netgear D6200 ADSL modem / router, which I recently unbricked after a failed firmware upgrade. I posted what I did below for anyone with the same issue, including my original post which was in the wrong forum. I'm looking to backup the whole flash, if possible, just like if I were to solder to it and hook it to my EEPROM programmer, and dump it. I've done this a few times, but this being a surface mount I am not really looking to do so. Now that I have the serial console working, I was also wondering if anyone knew the command to open port 23. It appears "telnetd" is running, but it refuses connections VIA telnet. I don't want it accessible from the WAN side however, as this would be a huge security concern. I was wondering if anyone knows how to backup the whole flash image (including CFE), other than trying to solder to the NAND chip (it's a TSOP48 SMD, that would be fun even with Kynar, and then my EEPROM programmer tries to power the whole board through the Vcc pin obviously unless I remove the chip or cut the trace). If I could back the whole thing up, this would help me fix it if it were ever hard-bricked. Any ideas? I can do a CFE> dm, however it does output like this: CFE> ll  dm 0xb0000000 0x0000ffff b0000000: 636220b0 fffffffe 00000000 00000001 cb ............. like an ASCII output of a HEX dump. Also, I don't know where the START address of the flash is (says 0xB80000000, boot is 0xB82000000, but I've had it dump part of the flash then do some repeating info ffeffeff stuff like that, or 66000000 08ffffff... random binary stuff. Anyway, if anyone knows the START address of the beginning of the flash, let me know that would be useful. Also, if I could upload it via TFTP whatever that would be even better. On a comtrend router I have, there's actually a 'backup-wholeflash.htm' in the /www folder that allows me to save it. I recently had trouble with my Netgear D6200 being bricked after the 1.00.30 update (using the auto-update feature), however I was able to resolve the problem. I soldered up a pin header to J6, and hooked up my USB-to-TTL converter, and was able to get it to the Netgear HTTP recovery (which happens to be 192.168.0.1 - set your IP to the same subnet like 192.168.0.100 if you have problems). For all interested, here's the original post and what I did: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/D6200-ADSL-Firmware-Bricked-using-Web-upgrade/m-... For anyone wanting the a serial console, the settings are: 115200 Baud, 8 Bits, No Parity, 1 Stop Bit, No Flow Control Pinout (Header J3): > |GND| |Rx| |Vcc| |Tx| (3.3v - Use a USB-to-TTL or RS232 to TTL, or build your own using the MAX232 chip) Pin 1: Ground Pin 2: Rx (From PC) Pin 3: Vcc (3.3v) Pin 4: Tx (From PC) Please note: Power on the router after starting your favorite terminal emulator. You may find that you need to hit "enter" a split second after powering the router on, if you get to the CFE> prompt and don't want to, type "reset" and hit "enter", or power off and try again. If you want to see what you can do in the CFE, type "help" (I don't recommend messing with the CFE if you don't know what it does, as it can FUBAR your router - I don't know if there's a JTAG solution)

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: D6200 Serial Console Flash Backup - Possible telnet enable?

> [...] I was also wondering if anyone knew the command to open port 23.
> [...]

Not I.  I just use a Netgear Telnet Enable program (which I
modified): http://antinode.info/nte .  If you're already going straight
in on a serial interface, then you may be able to use "ps" to see what
it changes.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
filter4ever
Aspirant

PS: I'm sorry about the format.  For some reason, "rich text" would not let me type in the window so I clicked "HTML".  Everything is all run together

Message 2 of 7
filter4ever
Aspirant

Here's a screenshot of what you get to after the router has booted, looks like a root linux prompt.  I "dd"ed all the "mtd" files in /dev, which appear to be the flash to my /mnt/share/USB_Storage, and am able to get to them, but are sectioned "mtd0ro" - "mtd5ro" (I chose Read Only so it would be clean).

Any idea on how they are parsed?  Some seem redundant in HEX editor, if I could append them all together in some manner to make my FLASH image that would be awesome

Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] I was also wondering if anyone knew the command to open port 23.
> [...]

Not I.  I just use a Netgear Telnet Enable program (which I
modified): http://antinode.info/nte .  If you're already going straight
in on a serial interface, then you may be able to use "ps" to see what
it changes.

Message 4 of 7
filter4ever
Aspirant

Thanks!  One problem solved.  One question for you though -

If I enable telnet, will it automatically go to a root prompt like with the serial console?  Usually, in other routers I've played with, there's some kind of logon, this one doesn't have it.  If I enable telnet, will it act like the serial console (no logon) allowing a potential hacker to have root access to my router, or is the "no logon" only for the serial console?

Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> If I enable telnet, will it automatically go to a root prompt like
> with the serial console?

It depends.  My D7000 (V1.0.1.64_1.0.1), currently requires a log-in:

ITS $ telnet 10.0.0.1
%TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.1
%TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host 10.0.0.1, port 23
-TELNET-I-ESCAPE, Escape character is ^]
D7000 login: admin
Password:
#

A few firmware versions earlier (before V1.0.1.54_1.0.1?), it went
directly to the "# " shell prompt.

On the bright side, the telnetd seems to listen at only the LAN
interface, not the WAN interface, so any hostile intruders must be
local.

Message 6 of 7
filter4ever
Aspirant

Awesome!  Now I can access the cl on my DGN2200 (which I wasn't so lucky getting the console working - I think I fried the UART.  Either sloppy soldering, or they swap pins a lot so I probably confused one of the Rx/Tx with VCC).

Looks like console does not need a login, but telnetd does.  Perfect.  Being as though you would need physical access to get to the console, I'm unconcerned.

I got a DB9-to-RJ45 running through one of my CAT5 jacks to my patch panel where the router is, so now I got both (have cable and DSL, maybe one day I'll find out how to get PPPd and DHCP to allow 2 networks - it's great having a backup).

If you ever need help with JTAG, EEPROM direct flash, or other low level stuff on routers, I'll be happy to return the favor.

Thanks a lot 🙂

-Rob

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7