Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200 corrupted firmware

devPolitico
Tutor

D6200 corrupted firmware

D6200 Wifi Router/ Model Corrupted by firmware update

I'm a long time Netgear customer and have purchased a range of products from the company over the years.

Today, however, I have been left severely disappointed by the service supplied to me and my product.

I opened up Netgear Genie, went to Router Settings, then to Update to get the latest Firmware version.

I started the regular download process and this took around 5 minutes to completed.

So after the download had completed on the software system, the router then went into a different mode (either the firmware updated initiated a power cycle, or it just ceased active connection while it was updating itself), either way this caused it to case working and broadcasting. I left it untouched for over a day as to not interrupt any processes that may have been happening in the background.

So, this time, I power off the PC, power off the Router/ modem.

I waited about 60 seconds and rebooted the Cable modem.

The power light is solid amber, the ADSL light is solid green, the internet connection light is solid orange.

I tried rebooting again and pressing the reset button, but nothing changes. There is no change to this led lighting status indicators.

I am not enquiry for addition procedures to reset this device. I have tried all of the threads on this community site and none have done anything. i have tried to upload the firmware manually (as covered in other posts) after statically assigning the router IP as discussed by these threads, the local router address is unreachable. the only responses i receive from attempting a tftp upload was error response 64 and 65.

It was working perfectly fine until I ran the your company's firmware updater, on your company's application to manage your company's product.

So i called the technical support line as this was surely an issue you could resolve. but i was first instructed that i simply had to buy another router. That is a ridiculous response from your tech support team. I then called back the following day, after trying all of the possible fixes again and again, and this time the consultant said that it would cost me roughly $200 to get any support, after i asked for just another link and that i would complete it myself i was given https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP?cid=wmt_netgear_o.... i am a software developer and i understand these instructions perfectly. these do not work as the local routes ip address is again unreachable over lan connection due to corrupted firmware that your company has released.

This situation is unexpected from netgear as i believe it to be a brand of integrity. I am formally asking for a refund as you have broken my property with your corrupted firmware, or at the very least a replacement product D6200 wifi router/ modem.

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
devPolitico
Tutor

Re: D6200 corrupted firmware

this has also happened 2 months after my hardware warrenty expired? please remedy this situation before it needs to be taken further.

Message 2 of 6
devPolitico
Tutor

The issue is that netgear's firmware update has corrupted it to the point that when following https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP?cid=wmt_netgear_o... to step 9 (Watch the Power LED. It starts with orange color, and then will start flashing orange.) it never flashes orange! it stays solid orange.

Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Devpolitico

At this point you will have to contact support if the modem is under Warranty.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
devPolitico
Tutor

Hello,

I understand that this is an automated response.

You're definitely correct that I've made a formal complaint regarding my recent correspondence with Netgear technical assistance. It is not the technical assistance alone, it's the fact that your offered firmware upgrades corrupted my and others property and you offer NO solution (other than high priced technical support for a issue you created), this type of predatory operation is completely immoral and would be a perfect case to be taken up by the Australian consumer watchdog.

I am not interested in paying for a support phone call. I am not interested in (what i've read online) explanation of reasons around viruses on my network. This is a simple case, your firmware is corrupted, it has broken my property, i want this d6200 replaced.

If you're not willing to resolve this now i will have to take this up with your head office in Australia as well as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

Message 5 of 6

Just one last-gasp attempt to see if you can bring the D6200 back to life.

Early on you said you had done a factory reset. Did this include the 30:30:30 trick?

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Apparently some people have revived "dead" hardware in this way. It certainly can't harm an already useless modem.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7