Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6200, setup manually with NBN service from Amaysim

Xookeeper
Aspirant

D6200, setup manually with NBN service from Amaysim

Hi there

So I have been on the phone with my ISP and netgear, no one can help. I have a D6200, used with Amaysim NBN. Have been working fine for 3 months, then we had a blackout and Amaysim aske dme to reset and now they cant help with setup. I have manually entered these settings

Does your internet connection require a login?

Yes

Encapsulation> PPPoE

login name

password

Idle timeout > always on

IP adresse> get dynamically

DNS > get auto from IPS

NAT enable

Router> use default

Now, from memory last time we setup and it did work we had to cahnge some numbers in the WAN setup

like the MTU is sitting on 1492, I tried to lower a bit but not working

What else can we do here?

Message 1 of 10
antinode
Guru

Re: D6200, setup manually with NBN service from Amaysim

> What else can we do here?

Provide more info?  What do the LED indicators (or the web interface)
indicate about the DSL connection?  (Perhaps: ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home >
Show Statistics ("WAN") and/or Connection Status)

That is, is there a low-level DSL problem, or a higher-level (PPPoE,
...) problem?

Message 2 of 10
Xookeeper
Aspirant

Hi there

So powerlight is on, wifi light is blue, internet light is red/orange and the twirly light is not on at all. I am an absolute beginner at this stuff btw lol

Message 3 of 10

You might do better to post this in the section reserved for DSL modem/routers, rarher than in the general wifi routers section:

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

There are several discussions on the D6200 on various flavours of NBN. A forum search there might throw up some clues.

Message 4 of 10
Xookeeper
Aspirant

lol....so if I already have a perfectly fine modem you recon I should still purchase what my ISP uses?. That's not very helpful of you. But ah well, I recon you do not know the answer so you just try to make any resolution do

Message 5 of 10
Xookeeper
Aspirant

what do you mean?...manual for settings? there is no such thing provided, but I love to find the manual for " manually setting up your moden"...as thats was my inital question

Message 6 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] I love to find the manual for " manually setting up your moden"

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (or whatever else looks
interesting).

Message 7 of 10

@Xookeeper wrote:

what do you mean?...manual for settings? there is no such thing provided, but I love to find the manual for " manually setting up your moden"...as thats was my inital question

There is a manual for the D6200 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

NBN is a slightly freaky internet technology cooked up in Australia.

How Australia Bungled Its $36 Billion High-Speed Internet Rollout - The New York Times

NBN comes in different flavours that seem to be tweaked by individual Internet service providers to make life more interesting.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As I said before, NBN has been a long running topic of conversation in the modem/routers area of this forum. That is the best place to seek input from people who have been through the same grief. Did you try that search?

But in the final analysis it is down to your ISP to tell you what thr settings should be for its network. The ISP implemented them and should provide support. Netgear's resources, and willingness to support customers, does not run to maintain a detailed database of every ISP on the planet and the settings it takes to connect to them. It does install "wizards" in the firmware for modems that try to take some of the pain out of the process. But nothing beats asking your ISP.

Message 8 of 10

Depends on how you define "slightly freaky". Thanks all the same, but I am free to call it what I like. I've just listened to what Australians tell me.

Does your intervention have anything to do with solving the problem posed by the original questioner? Is it wrong to suggest that they need to get the information they need from their Internet service provider?

Message 9 of 10

No comment.

But your IT skills do mean that I received your mailings of your previous message.

Several other grand panjandrums do the same thing. Out of interest, do you compose a message and then go back and edit it several times? Or is it the forum's software that does this?

PS Apologies to the person who asked for help for this diversion. I'm just curious as to why I get so many slightly different alerts to "work in progress".

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7