Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6200 wireless connectivity problems (also seen on DGND4000)

shardlojik
Aspirant

D6200 wireless connectivity problems (also seen on DGND4000)

Hi,

I have a D6200 which is behaving strangely. After a period of (router) inactivity my wireless devices can see both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs but are unable to connect. To get round this problem, I have tried the following:

1) If I have another connection open, and can get to the Genie web front end, then in LAN Setup I can press Apply (no changes are made) and sometimes everything springs back into life.
2) If I don't have any connections, then if I switch on a wired device, then everything springs back into life.
3) Power-cycle the router

I've factory reset the router and also reflashed with 1.1.00.07_1.00.07 firmware, but no joy. I know the router is the problem because my old DG834Gv4 and a DGND3300v2 work fine in the same position with the same devices. Plus the wireless devices are from a fair range of manufacturers: Apple, HP, HTC, Blackberry.

I've just opened a support call with Netgear, so will relay anything interesting I find here as I know that a few others have been experiencing the same type of problem. I'm in agreement that it seems to be routing/arp/DHCP related and to me that screams firmware.

A few weeks ago I had a DGND4000 which had exactly the same problem. Netgear decided the problem was "hardware" and so gave me an RMA and a replacement. The replacement had exactly the same problem. At that point Netgear seemed stumped and they were more interested in getting me to run Wireshark captures and asking what wireless adapter/chipset/driver I was using. At no point did they ask for any logs or provide any method to try and figure out what the router was (or was not) doing. The closest they got was allegedly putting my config onto a router in their lab and them claiming they couldn't replicate the issue.

I lost my patience then, sent the router back to the shop, got a refund and purchased my D6200. Which then did exactly the same thing...

Given the small amount of info I've gained on these boards I thought I'd give Netgear support one more chance to try and sort this problem out properly. Though that does depend on if I can actually get past the script-oriented level 1 and 2 support. Wish me luck!
Message 1 of 5
shardlojik
Aspirant

So Netgear support have replied. They first advise to check in the basic settings that Connection Mode is "Always On" (which it is by default and I would think more related to the DSL modem bit than anything else), and if that doesn't solve the problem then they're quite happy to sort out an RMA.

Given my experience of the DGND4000 RMA, in that it cost me money to send it back and the replacement was just the same, I've said I'd rather they try and figure out why the D6200 is not working.

So we'll see what they say next...
Message 2 of 5
shardlojik
Aspirant

So a few days later and Netgear have run some tests. The conclusion is that the 1.1.00.07 firmware has got bugs in it. So they advised me to use the 1.1.00.05 firmware until I reminded them it was US only. They then suggested that this was an "isolated case" and I should return the D6200 to where I purchased it from.

I must say I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that they've found a bug and aren't really interested in fixing it.
Message 3 of 5
shardlojik
Aspirant

Just in case anyone is interested, the D6200 went back for a refund. As I amno longer buying or recommending Netgear products I've ended up with a Linksys X3500 (which seems to be an equivalent of a DGND4000). The web GUI might not be as good, but at least the WiFi works!
Message 4 of 5
Kinesia
Novice

I just got a D6200 today.
All my mac devices can connect to the 5k wifi network fine and the modem part works.
But I have Windows 7 running under bootcamp and when I try and connect to the 5k network it sees it and lets me put my password in but then says "Windows was unable to connect to Netgear03"

It can connect to the 2.4k network fine.

Any ideas?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7