Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6300 - Cannot connect to internet

lobby
Aspirant

D6300 - Cannot connect to internet

My problem is that: whilst my router connects to the ISP via auto DNS my computers on the home network cannot connect to internet until on each computer I login into the admin account of the router.

• I have attempted setting static DNS addresses in the router as well as setting static DNS addresses in each computer - both to the ISP preferred addresses and also to public DNS servers like google an opendns..
  • I have done network resets on each computer,
  • I have updated the network adapter drivers,
  • I have reinstalled the latest Netgear firmware on my router.
  • I have turned off virus protection and firewalls.
  • Windows 10 diagnostic says that DNS server not responding - window troubleshoot does a network reset.
  • I have manually cleared and refreshed the IPaddress and reflushed the dns setting from command prompt.

I can obtain internet access just by logging into router admin account and doing nothing but wait for a few seconds. Then if I restart the computer I again do not have internet access until I log into the router.

This all seemed to start occurring a week or two ago - after some win 10 upgrade.

Any ideas most appreciated  ... or is the router stuffed??

Model: D6300|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
lobby
Aspirant

Re: D6300 - Cannot connect to internet

Hi and thanks again for your time.

I had previously restarted the whole network, from scratch inline with your suggested sequence to no-avail.

I was about to to a Win recover operation but I thought I would first do a modem/router factory reset and manually reconfigure it. 

Well to my surprise this has fixed the problem completely :).

Trap for young (and old) first do a factory reset before doing anything else.

Lots of questions still remain unanswered - like how come it was only win10 devices that had the problem, why did logging into the modem/router allow internet access ...  

Anyway I am fixed and ready to fight another day.

Again thanks for your time and efforts - very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
lobby
Aspirant

Further to my note.

I am able to connectt o internet from my mobile phone and also from a ubuntu laptop.

This leads me now to the view that maybe this is really a problem with the latest win 10updates - somehow incompatible with D6300 loaded with FW V1.0.0.102.

Again, any ideas  ... contempating a Window10 Recovery/Reset.

Message 2 of 7

Your modem/router neither knows not cares about the operating system on your PC. It just delivers Ethernet and wifi.

So you need to seek answers in the wonderful world of Windows. You confirm this by saying that other things can connect. Nor do we see many messages here about modems clashing with Windows. (Wifi adapters are something else.)

Check for driver updates for your Ethernet and wifi devices. (This may be down to the chipset makers, because Windows is hopeless at finding that stuff.) You say nothing about these devices, or the version of Windows you have, so you won't get much more detailed here.

Have you run the Network Troubleshooter in Windows? Is that what you mean by Windows 10 diagnostic?

Message 3 of 7
lobby
Aspirant

Hi Michael

Thanks for taking the time respond and your thoughts are helpful.

Yes I have tried the Windows Trouble Shoorter - it resorts to doing a Network Reset - but I still end up with the same problem.

I have 4 computers in the house - 1 x desktop (Win10), 2 x Laptops (Toshiba + Dell) running Win10 + 1 x Toshiba Laptop running ubuntu plus I have an iPhone and a Gallaxy smart phone + a couple of android tablets. The only thing I am having problem with is the Win10 devices. So, I tend tp agree with you that the Win10 version seems to be the common point of failure as the router works fine with the other devices.

The curious point is that as soon as I log into the router admin account - (and i have to do this separately on each Win10 device) - internet connection is established and remains so until the device is turned off or goes to sleep. So I do not as yet know what logging into the admin account does. BTW, I have full ethernet connection on my LAN as I can see and ping each other device on my LAN - its just the internet connection - the DNS server failure.

On my desktop machine I did replace the Intel Ethernet network adapter driver without success. However, I think it could be higher up the tree than the driver as three different devices are having the very same problem leading me to think it is more todo with Win10 not allowing access to the DNS server of the router somehow until I log into the router.

I will continue to try and find a solution which may include rolling back to previous version of Win10.

My current Windows Spec is: Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192, Update currently at KB4056892)

Message 4 of 7

Ouch. This sounds complicated.

So the Windows 10 PCs don't connect to the Internet until you login to the router? But they can talk to other PCs on the same LAN?

wrote:

Hi Michael

Yes I have tried the Windows Trouble Shoorter - it resorts to doing a Network Reset - but I still end up with the same problem

Is that every time you run the thing?

If so, thet also points back to a Windows issue. But the fact that you get somewhere by logging into the router is puzzling.

I'm on the same build of Windows 10. I also have an Insider Preview version which works fine. So I wouldn't blame the Windows version for this.

Windows seems to have quite a few messages on the topic of non responsive DNS. For example:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not re...

But again, why three different PCs?

Have you restarted the whole network, from scratch?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.
Message 5 of 7
lobby
Aspirant

Hi and thanks again for your time.

I had previously restarted the whole network, from scratch inline with your suggested sequence to no-avail.

I was about to to a Win recover operation but I thought I would first do a modem/router factory reset and manually reconfigure it. 

Trap for young (and old) first do a factory reset before doing anything else.

Lots of questions still remain unanswered - like how come it was only win10 devices that had the problem, why did logging into the modem/router allow internet access ...  

Anyway I am fixed and ready to fight another day.

Again thanks for your time and efforts - very much appreciated.

Message 6 of 7

wrote:

Well done. And thanks for the feedback.

I usually recommend a "factory reset", even though it can provoke frothing at the mouth by people who consider it to be witchcraft.

It does makes sense though, because new firmware can do stuff that is not compatible with older settings. It is also one of the measures that the official support team suggests.

This is, though, the first time I have seem it solve a problem as bizarre as this. I wonder if it worked because the reset undid some of the changes that you had made in your earlier attempts to fix things.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7