Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6300 Target SNR

R4IDER
Aspirant

D6300 Target SNR

For the past four years I have been using a netgear dg834g which allowed me to alter my target SNR without the need to contact my ISP. This router started to have some issues so I have replaced it with the D6300 but I am currently unable to work out how to change the target SNR, could anyone tell me how I can do this?

I like to change my target SNR so that I can adjust my connection so that it is either better for gaming or downloading.
Message 1 of 14
zeuss
Aspirant

Hello there,

Have you got any problem there so that you need to change the SNR?
Message 2 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

There is no fault it's just a matter of convenience, gaming at 9db is good but if I want to download quickly I like to reduce my target SNR to 6db so that I can get the maximum download speed my line can handle.

This is what I did using my netgear dg834g and DMT tool, surely something similar is available for the D6300 and if not then I should be-able to telnet to the router and run some commands to adjust my target SNR, I just don't know what those commands are.
Message 3 of 14
pb006
Aspirant

Hi,How do you access your snr setting ?::confused:
Message 4 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

pb006 wrote:
Hi,How do you access your snr setting ?::confused:

Well that is what I am trying to work out using the D6300 it is easy to do on the dg834g.
Message 5 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

I also have a problem now, I've noticed that every 30 minutes all active connections get killed. I know this because I have been connected to a mumble server all day and in the console it shows that I have reconnected and it happens every 30 minutes, I also can't keep SSH connections active for very long. What would cause this to happen? I have disabled DOS protection and disable any other security settings on the router. Like I mentioned previously I had a netgear dg834g and I never had this problem using that router so I am pretty sure it's nothing to do with my ISP.
Message 6 of 14
zeuss
Aspirant

Hi There,

The 30 minutes is regular? Do you ever get the disconnection case while you are using the Internet connection? If yes, you can see the DSL LED and check if you see the DSL LED turn to amber coloer to make sure it's disconnected by DSL line not PPPoE or PPPoA.
Message 7 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

zeuss wrote:
Hi There,

The 30 minutes is regular? Do you ever get the disconnection case while you are using the Internet connection? If yes, you can see the DSL LED and check if you see the DSL LED turn to amber coloer to make sure it's disconnected by DSL line not PPPoE or PPPoA.

It's every 30 minutes without fail, I have the router on my desk and I have watched the lights when approaching the 30 minute mark and they all remain the same colour. If I am downloading a file or browsing the internet this isn't interrupted, I can continue playing my games but it causes problems with things like 1. if I am hosting a game, like company of heros. 2. If I am SSH'ed to a server using putty. 3. Connections to VoIP servers are dropped and I have to reconnect.

It seems to me like the router is doing some kind of clean up of connections it thinks are no longer active, I have gone through every setting on the router and disabled everything I can find to do with protection the only thing I haven't disabled is the DOS protection under NAT and I have to disable NAT before I can disable this but obviously this means you're unable to connect to the internet without manually setting up each connection. I am not entirely sure how this works.

I think it may be a firmware issue the router is pretty new from my understanding but if you have any suggestions I would appreciate your help.
Message 8 of 14
zeuss
Aspirant

Hi ,

Sound like your router reboots every 30 minutes with unknown reason ...

Since you got a regular and reproducible problem, I suggest you can call the support center for help. I think the support center will need your router's configuration file and details setup, then they will forward to the engineering site.
Message 9 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

It doesn't reboot, the internet works still download won't fail for example it's only things that remain connected for a long time like VoIP servers, hosted games and SSH.

Do the technical support people ever look at these forums or is it just for community help?
Message 10 of 14
zeuss
Aspirant

I am not sure but I think you may call the support center.

By the way, have you ever tried to enable QoS (apply it and reboot the router)? It seems other guys can solve their connection issues while QoS is enabled.
Message 11 of 14
R4IDER
Aspirant

zeuss wrote:
I am not sure but I think you may call the support center.

By the way, have you ever tried to enable QoS (apply it and reboot the router)? It seems other guys can solve their connection issues while QoS is enabled.

QoS was one of the things I disabled thinking it was a cause however since switching it back on I haven't been disconnected from mumble. I am not sure what setting is the cause but it seems turning all the protection off and QoS solved the problem.

Thanks for your replies I can go back to trying to work out how to set the target SNR myself now.
Message 12 of 14
psychopomp1
Novice

Hi
Did you manage to get the SNR lowered/changed in the end? Uses a broadcom chipset so in theory you should be able to but i don't wanna spend £130 to find out it doesn't!
Message 13 of 14
ddregs
Aspirant

Seems like it isn't possible to change SNR target with this router, at least no one on the web ever published any info about this feature.
Anyone willing to post some info? I was looking forward to buy this product, but living far from the local network hub (3.4Km) I needed this feature badly to have a >2048 kbps line...
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7