Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6300 UK - no wireless access 2 Synology NAS (+ support ended by Netgear yet still being sold ne

rpainter
Aspirant

D6300 UK - no wireless access 2 Synology NAS (+ support ended by Netgear yet still being sold new!)

I have had my Netgear D6300 for just over a year - I am in the UK and used it without any problems until I connected a new Synology DS216se to it by Ethernet.

I wanted to use this as a data storage NAS and to serve up music etc. but I have spent hours and hours over the last few months trying to get it to work properly.

I set a fixed IP address for it - on my WIndows 10 PC I can access the drive and map the drives and write to it - PROVIDED the PC is wired/ethernet connected to the router.

If I disconnect the Ethernet, and use wireless, I cannot see the Synology NAS - if one uses the Synology Assistant software, it appears to "see the NAS" but cannot connect to it, set it up and WIndows itself cannot find it, map to it. So frustrating - I have tried - more than once:

-  rebooting the router

- reflashing the firmware (I am running the latest and last firmware for European area  - 1.0.0.96.

- using a switch or not between the router and the NAS (tried this because a post elsewhere in this forum thought that solved the problem for them).

- I've checked that Access Control and Wireless Isolation are NOT switched on. Nor QoS. Nor do I have a guest network on.

In fact after resetting it to factory settings ALL I've done last time was to set the IP address for the NAS. Still no dice!

I am convinced there is a problem with the router - perhaps the firmware - that does not allow devices wired to the router to be visible to PCs on wireless.

It is very bad customer service and poor support to:-

- not provide any updates to the firmware for over a year(especially when the router only equivalkent - R6300 - appears to have had many more firmware updates)

- AND to not provide officially any support for this device unless one signs up for their Premium service.

In the UK this router was marketed as the top-end domestic wireless router/modem - it is still being sold in shops now - so why no updates or service or support?

This is the THIRD Netgear device I've had that has suddenly and very quickly been dropped from free support - a Stora and then a DGND 3300 wireless router.

In frustration, I used LinkedIn and Twitter to alert senior management to the problem - I now have a technical team in the Phillipines looking into this as a result of  "Executive Escalation". I have provided config file, details of the problem, screen shots of the Home Network topology - courtesy of a free BT Home Hub 5 router (BT being British Telecom and my ISP and the Home Hub 5 is a router/modem made for them by Sagem) which has NO trouble sharing the Synology NAS over wirelss to my PC!

I am sorry Netgear but though your devices can look quite stylish and rugged, more interesting than many of the bland faceless boxes from other companies, if this does not get solved I am NEVER going to buy another Netgear product!

ISPs and internet standards do not change very often and a router like this should be serviceable for 5 - 10 years - to obsolete it after less than 2, perhaps 3 years at most since market launch is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I welcome ideas from anyone but also posted this to alert others - if you have similar problems (wired devices not able to see wirelessly connected devices or the other way round as in my case) OR are frustrated by the lack of support OR new firmware updates then please, reply to this and add your voice!

When the support team responded they claimed this was not a reported problem yet I found several similar or identical problems reported on this forum and elsewhere in 30 second Googling!

Come on Netgear - this is NOT good enough!

Model: D6300|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
rpainter
Aspirant

Re: D6300 UK - no wireless access 2 Synology NAS (+ support ended by Netgear yet still being sold ne

Very interesting ... having caused a fuss via Twitter and LinkedIn emails to senior execs at Netgear, the "Executive Escalation" has led to the technical team asking me to sign a Beta test agreement and then to receive/download beta test firmware for the D6300 ...

I've asked them - before I download this - to say IF they have found a firmware problem AND if this corrects it, if they'll release it publicly once ready./tested.

Will add more when I can.

Message 2 of 5
PeterJM
Aspirant

Did you get a resolution to this issue? Like many others this bug is also a problem for me as it stops my Wireless devices accessing my wired NAS. Clearly they fixed this once (V1.0.0.24-beta), so hopefully they have supplied you with a new Beta Firmware version (V1.0.0.102 - the latest - is still faulty).

Thanks

Peter

Model: D3600|N600 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11n Dual Band Gigabit
Message 3 of 5
rpainter
Aspirant

Yes! And apologies for not posting earlier so thanks for the prod!

Netgear supplied a new firmware version for the D6300 and this worked and demonstrated (as I see it) that there IS a wireless isolation issue withh this router - i.e., even if this feature is switched off, those devices connected via wireless cannot "see" those connected by cable/ethernet.

Netgear UK then very kindly offered to take my d6300 back and sent me a newer D6400 which does NOT exhibit this problem at all.

Hope this helps - I think raising this issue with senior management (by guess direct email addresses AND via LinkedIn!) helped as they have a team dedicated to dealing with complaints going to their executive (Cxx or VP) management. Good luck with yours!

Message 4 of 5
PeterJM
Aspirant

How disappointing that they have a fix for this yet not included it in the most recent firmware update. Especially for a know bug that is at least 3 years old.

I hope this is just a 'further testing required before release' issue and not indicative of their customer commitment or internal processes. If I get no responce to my main post then yes, wish me luck as I attempt to ecalate this. A 'Wifi Home Networking' device (as described by Netgear) that blocks Wifi home networking is faulty and needs to be repaired/replaced.

Thanks for responding

Peter

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7