Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6300B as secondary router in the same subnet

EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

D6300B as secondary router in the same subnet

Hello,

i have a Netgear D6300B. I now want to use it as access point, behind my primary router FritzBox 7390. But i struggle to get both in the same subnet.

The FritzBox is on 192.168.9.1, the Netgear should have 192.168.9.2 and everything connected on Netgear i want to get an IP from 192.168.9.X range.

Fritzbox Lan Port 1  192.168.9.1 <======>   "internet" port of my D6300B. Under "Internet Setup" i can give a static IP with 192.168.9.2 .

In LAN Setting i can not change the IP address to 192.168.9.X. I am forced to use a subnet. Beside of that, Internet works fine.

So i tried

Fritzbox Lan Port 1  192.168.9.1 <=====> Lan Port 1 of my D6300B.

Now i under LAN settings i change IP to 192.168.9.2 and Gateway 192.168.9.1. Under "Internet Settings" i choosed "Get Dynamically from ISP". Now the Router can be seen from my primary Router. But on Netgear Interface itself it says "Internet - Not Connected".

If i connect via Wifi to my netgear, it says no internet as well. I can only open the Netgear Interface, can not reach other devices on the net.

If i connect my Android Phone via Wifi to my Netgear, everthing works, i can reach all devices, the Internet etc. even when the Netgear Interface still says "Internet - not Connected".

I tried serveral things, disable/enable DHCP, disable NAT, but nothing seems to work. If i change "Internet Setting" the to static IP 192.168.9.2, the netgear changes automatically the LAN ip address to 192.168.1.1. Can anyone help out?

Model: D6300B|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Tell us what you want to achieve by adding the Netgear behind the Fritz! please.

The multi-router layout you have attached is applicable when using only the LAN interfaces on the internal side, the router is no longer a router, it's just a wireless access point and Ethernet switch, ie. DHCP must be disabled as shown in the picture, too.

Exactly this. An gigabit switch + wireless access point. I wanted to connect 3 cctv cameras from my backyard, plus have better wifi signal in the backyard and because my the network video recorder is in my livingroom, it needed to have access to each camera. This router was not any longer in use, so i thought i could "misuse" it.

But never mind, i tried and tried again and somehow managed it. I don't know what i did differently, but i have made a config backup and it's all good now.
Thanks anyway!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

Have you been out into Googleland for questions on "modem as a router"?

I mention this because it is a generic issue that probably does not depend on the brand of your modem.

I have seen messages around here on those lines, but I can't find them!

Message 2 of 9
EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

Not sure what you mean. My Primary Router (FritzBox) is establishing the internet connection. That is why i don't use my adsl port on the netgear. I was not sure about the "internet port" on netgear, but i tried it and failed, because it forces me to use a subnet.
I have already 2 other routers connected as secondary routers behind the fritz box working.

Usually, i connect to one port of the Primary Router to "LAN1 Port" of the secondary router, disable WAN port, manually set up the LAN IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway, set the DHCP and thats it.

Message 3 of 9

@EnricoPalazzo wrote:

Not sure what you mean.

The D6300B is a modem router. It isn't designed to be standalone router.

Google has things on how to use a modem as a router. As you say, usually it is just a case of plugging the Internet into the Internet socket on the back. But you have added other routers to the picture.

Did you set the D6300B to factory defaults before you made those changes?

Message 4 of 9
EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

The D6300B is a modem router. It isn't designed to be standalone router.

Then why does it have an "Internet Port" beside the "ADSL Port"? Smiley Happy

@michaelkenward wrote:

Google has things on how to use a modem as a router. As you say, usually it is just a case of plugging the Internet into the Internet socket on the back. But you have added other routers to the picture.

Did you set the D6300B to factory defaults before you made those changes?

I already googled it, that is why i connected it from the LAN Port of my primary Router to LAN1 Port of my Netgear Router. That setup is working on my phone correctly, it is working via LAN on my Notebook, but still, the Netgear Interface itself says "Internet - No Connection" and i don't have internet access when using wifi from my notebook.

I have turned DHCP "OFF" on netgear, i have DHCP "ON" my notebook, and it is retrieving the correct ip from my primary router. But still no internet.

I did hardware reset and put flashed newest  V1.0.0.45_1.0.45 Firmware.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

When disabling DHCP, not using the WAN ("Internet") interface, the router will become a pure wireless access point - if this operation mode is possible at all. As the router does not maintain the Internet connection, it will continue to show "no Internet".

If you try to configure the same subnet on both sides of a router, the router can't work - it's an illegal (simply impossible) configuration. 

You asked why the router has an Internet port. This would be to connect to your ISP Ethernet Internet connection, ie. on a Cable modem. This is what you obviously have not done, trying to connect the Netgear Internet port to the AVM router LAN ...

Message 6 of 9
EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

When disabling DHCP, not using the WAN ("Internet") interface, the router will become a pure wireless access point - if this operation mode is possible at all. As the router does not maintain the Internet connection, it will continue to show "no Internet".

Okay that make sense.

@schumaku wrote:

You asked why the router has an Internet port. This would be to connect to your ISP Ethernet Internet connection, ie. on a Cable modem. This is what you obviously have not done, trying to connect the Netgear Internet port to the AVM router LAN ...

I did and it works, but it works with a subnet. The Netgear will appear as 192.168.9.2 to the fritz.box, but all devices connected to my netgear will have 192.168.0.X IP and so they won't be listed in the fritz.box. Maybe i am using the wrong terms. Cascading seem to be correct term. I already have two other router working that way. The setup looks like this https://i.stack.imgur.com/blp1P.jpg

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Well, again - you can't expect the Netgear router use he same subnet you configure.

Cascading (the term is OK) two NAT routers does in general not make much sense, and does not lead to some useful and easy to manage environment.

Tell us what you want to achieve by adding the Netgear behind the Fritz! please.

The multi-router layout you have attached is applicable when using only the LAN interfaces on the internal side, the router is no longer a router, it's just a wireless access point and Ethernet switch, ie. DHCP must be disabled as shown in the picture, too.

Message 8 of 9
EnricoPalazzo
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Exactly this. An gigabit switch + wireless access point. I wanted to connect 3 cctv cameras from my backyard, plus have better wifi signal in the backyard and because my the network video recorder is in my livingroom, it needed to have access to each camera. This router was not any longer in use, so i thought i could "misuse" it.

But never mind, i tried and tried again and somehow managed it. I don't know what i did differently, but i have made a config backup and it's all good now.
Thanks anyway!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7