Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400-100NAS vs D6400-100PES

wsmacl
Aspirant

D6400-100NAS vs D6400-100PES

I am moving back to the USA from Italy.  I have a DSL modem/router D6400-100PES.  I see that the model sold in the USA is D6400-100NAS.
Can anyone tell me what the differences between the PES and NAS?
Will I be able to use the -100PES in the USA?
Also, any idea on compatability with Windstream (one of only two options I have for an ISP).
Thanks!

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 4

Re: D6400-100NAS vs D6400-100PES

@wsmacl wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the differences between the PES and NAS?

It is a geographical region thing. The biggest difference is likely to be in the wifi area, where different countries have different regulations for allowed bands and signal strengths.

You may be able to tell the D6400 which region you are in and it will adapt its wifi output accordingly. This does not always work for devices sold in the USA, where the law seems to be that they lock them down. But even then there can be ways of tricking devices to move house.

Also, any idea on compatability with Windstream (one of only two options I have for an ISP).

Is that offering DSL?

If the worst comes to the worst, you may be able to put a modem-only device in front of the D6400 and then use that in router mode.

The D6400 also does modem-only mode, but for various reasons I would not recommend putting that in front of a router. You can lose the Internet after a power cut, when things can reboot badly.

Message 2 of 4
wsmacl
Aspirant

Thank you.  I knew about differing WiFi standards (and believe that the European model I have will let me switch to the US mode.  I suspected that the WiFi (and of course the power plug) might be the differences, but was unsure if there might be others.

Yes, it would be a DSL connection on Windstream.  I will likely just try it out and see if I can get it working.  If not it does work well as simply as a router (I used it that way in Italy) and use another modem.

Message 3 of 4
wsmacl
Aspirant

Update on this question.  We installed and activated Windstream and the modem portion of the D6400 simply would not work at all.  It would not even recognize a DSL signal on the line.  While Windstream uses a bonded VDSL, it should have recognized at least one of the two bonded signals.
There are two possabilities here.  One, there is some incompatability between how the DSL signal works in Italy and the USA. Or, the modem is simply broken and not functioning.  I had never used the modem portion in Italy as I had a fiber connection there.
For the moment I am renting their modem/router, but will be looking for a modem (or modem router) that can handle bonded VDSL (which is proving harder than I expected).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7