Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6400 Boot Loop

kawivukan
Guide

D6400 Boot Loop

My mom was having issues with her Netgear D6400 (D6400-100NAS). I checked it out and did the regular things like, resetting it, checking the PC and still can't get it to work. She doesn't remember what happened or if it just stopped functioning. The other thing I tried was the TFTP firmware transfer, with no luck.

Basically it looks like it's stuck in a boot look. Power light goes on, then the wifi logo and after a few mintues it resets. Wifi doesn't show up at all on my phone or PC. Has anyone had any luck fixing this type of issue? Has the TFTP command changed at all for this model?

Any chance of being able to use a Serial/USB adapter to connect to the pins and reflash it? I can't find any guides on it so, not completely sure that's possible. The next best thing is going to be to throw it away if it not possible to fix.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

You may have to try the process several times until it finally sticks.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

Have you tried the "heavy duty" reset?

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while applying power

Message 2 of 7
kawivukan
Guide

I don't think I have ever heard of that before but, I'll give it try.

Message 3 of 7

No guarantees, but it is one more thing to try.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
kawivukan
Guide

It didn't work unfortunately. I think I might go back to try the tftp thing again. I'm not really sure what else to try so this might be, beyond fixing. Thanks though I appreciate it.
Message 5 of 7

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

You may have to try the process several times until it finally sticks.

Message 6 of 7
kawivukan
Guide

Well...I was able to find the UART port with my multimeter, and connected it over serial. For what ever reason I was unable to flash the firmware over like I previously had done. I'm not gonna mess with it anymore and just bought a new router / modem for her. Reading the output while it booted, it seems like parts of the flash was missing / corrupted. It wouldn't allow a firmware to be sent over at all. I did make a diagram of the ports if anyone may need it in the future. I didn't see any online so, maybe it will help someone else with similar issues.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7