Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6400 Firmware update failure and factory reset doesn't work

PughPugh
Aspirant

D6400 Firmware update failure and factory reset doesn't work

Hi,

The web interface on my D6400 said I could do a firmware update last night, so I clicked OK. I left the device to update and restart. Later I tried to connect, but I couldnt see it on the network via wireless. Looking at the router, the power (orange) and wifi (blue) lights were on, all others were off. After rebooting and it still not working, I tried a hard reset via the small button on the back. Holding it should make the power light flash I'm told, but nothing seems to happen. I've tried this a number of times and confirmed I'm making proper contact with the button, but nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any tips have I can further diagnose this.

Thanks.

Hugh

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 7
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

See the posts here as you may have the same issue if you have a beta version of the D6400.

Also remember after the router reset to connect via Ethernet.

Message 2 of 7

Like M-B says, see the other discussion.

Let me know if you need the answer. It isn't something best shared here.

Message 3 of 7
PughPugh
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.

I've no idea if I had a beta version or not. I did try and connect via ethernet, but I couldn't get it to respond. I followed some steps to recover from a bad flash, but the device would not even respond to a ping. It's as if the firmware update totally bricked the device.

It was only four months old, so I took it back to the shop. They apparently don't stock them anymore, so they swapped it out for the slighlty better, yet ugglier D7000.

Message 4 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

If router was working fine for you what was the reason you tried to update it?  You must have a specific reason to update a firmware.

Because there is newer version is not a good reason. Now can you ping the router? Can you log into router?  When you press down the reset button how long do you hold it down? Until LED lights started flashing? Or just momentarily push it?

Message 5 of 7
PughPugh
Aspirant

I was having some internet connectivity issues, which actually later turned out not to be because of the router. But before I figured that out, I logged into the router UI and it offered me an update. I foolishly accepted, although I wouldn't like to think I should have to fear updates in the future.

I don't have the router anymore, but no, I couldn't ping it or log in. I tried resetting a number of times; Initially 5-10 seconds and then up to a minute. I tried variations variations on the router being on and off before I pushed the button. I doubled checked I was making sufficient contact with the button. It never responded to any of my attempts. I imagine it could of been as simple as a faulty reset button.

Message 6 of 7

@VE6CGX wrote:

You must have a specific reason to update a firmware.

Perhaps they read the release notes and decided that it was worth the punt.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7