Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 MAC filtering bug ?

romuald
Tutor

D6400 MAC filtering bug ?

Hello,

I purchased D6400 recently (previously was using DG834G) and wanted to continue using the MAC filtering, as I was using on the  DG834G - for better security , and see the following difference/problem :

• on DG834G MAC filtering was applied only to the wireless access and not to wired access, which makes sense to me (I want to protect my network from unknown users via WiFi, while my cable connections inside of the house I keep under control, no need for the MAC filtering in this case)
  • on the new D6400 I have marked the "Turn on Access Control" and selected "Block all new devices from connecting" and with such setting - any new MAC is being blocked, no matter if comming via WiFi or via cable.
  • when I want to use my guest WiFI - in this case all my guest users (= new MAC) get also blocked by the MAC filtering, which really does not make sense to me, because the quest users by default are new, having new MACs. As I understand the concept of the guest network - when I want to share my internet temporary for some guest users, then  I open the guest WiFi temporary and give the guest password to the user. I don't want to add the guest's new MAC to my allowed MACs table permanently, because the user is a temporary one.

To summarize there seem to be two bugs in the D6400 firmware (my version is V1.0.0.56_1.0.56, and this is the newest at this moment) to me:

• MAC filtering should apply to WiFi users only, as it was in case of DG834G, and I consider this as a bug
  • MAC filtering should not apply to the guest WiFi

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D6400 MAC filtering bug ?

Hello romuald

Thanks for pointing this out I will pass this info on.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7