Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6400 - Static IP doesn't work

project_2501
Aspirant

D6400 - Static IP doesn't work

The new Netgear D6400 seems to have launched with very buggy software.

For example - I can't set the static IP on the DSL WAN interface.

Yes - I can enter it, but the router doesn't then route traffic, and the usual warning sign is shown on the dashboard.

The only way it seems to work is to set it to DHCP on the WAN DSL link.

My previous router netgear 834PN had no problem. I could use both DHCP which would always give me the top IP of the range, or static and I could choose from one of my valid IPs.

My ISP (Zen) confirmed this week that I do indeed still have the /27 IP range.

If you have a play you'll notice the WAN2 interface does have fields to fill in re netmask and gw ip but the page for the WAN1 doesn't. This is a BUG. If you deselect "does your ISP require a login" the fields appear again.

So with the login required set to NO I filled in the fields. The status page shows the interface with the IP I gave it incl the netmask. However, no routing as the router didn't authenticate to my ISP. Set it to YES and the router doesnn't succeed in configuring the interface.

This is terrible - how can you release such buggy firmware, AND not have tested basic functions like Static IPs?

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

And yes I spent ages with the online support chat ... They don't seem at all qualified to deal with issues. They just seem to read from a script. Very infuriating. Come on netgear you can do better than this.
Message 2 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

What's the best way to make sure netgear see this, acknowledge it, and add it to their big tracker so it is foxed for the next release?

There was no way the online chat support were going to do that.
Message 3 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Is the static IP provided by ISP? or is just a random IP address that you get from ISP and you just set it to static?

The 834PN, is it a modem/router or just a router?
Message 4 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

The ISP has reserved me a short range of IPs.
With my previous router+modems if I simply used dhcp to request an IP then I get the same one from the range. But if I manually set it, then my ISP would do the routing if the in was in the right range.

The netgear DG834PN is a modem+router:http://support.netgear.com/product/dg834pn

I think what is happening with the new D6400 is that if I set it to get an IP automatically (dhcp) then it also does the username/pass authentication to the ISP. But if I manually set it to static then it doesn't also do a DSL account authentication - so no routing from the ISP. I can see from the connection state window that no attempt is made to connect ienbring up the link.

I must say I am also disappointed at the loss of diagnostics.. My old netgear showed me 'link down'... 'Aurhenticated' etc... This one "helpfully" hides this information making it hard to diagnose issues for me and for their tech support.

Now I wish I had bought a draytek.
Message 5 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Message 6 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Do you still have an option to enter the ISP authentication when set to static or is it greyed out?
Message 7 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

The option to enter ISP authentication credentials is there but I don't think it is used.

I suspect that is the bug.
Message 8 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you tried entering the ISP credentials while the IP is set on static? If you have PPPoE connection, they usually require ISP credentials regardless if you have static or dynamic IPs.
Message 9 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion but yes as I said above I have tried that. In fact I think the bug is that the router is NOT using the ISP credentials despite being entered.

In fact o tried using the wan2 interface and disabling the wan1 because the configuration page is different(!?)... But that too didn't work..
Message 10 of 23
zeuss
Aspirant

Hi,
I did actually use Static IP with ADSL2+ and VDSL mode.
In Internet Setup page, you can find an option "Dose your Internet connection require a login", the default is set to Yes, here, you need to select No.
Then, it will switch to DHCP / Static IP / IPoA mode, then you can enter the IP here.
Hope it can solve your problem.
Message 11 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Thanks Zeus

But I even tried that combination.

Sadly it seems my ISP won't let me on if I don't authenticate - which is reasonable!

As I say my previous netgear Dg834pn did this correctly - authenticate and then assign the static IP to the wan interface.

Having a total nightmare with netgear support.

Is there ANY way to get this on their list of things to fix for the next firmware update?

Given the rubbish support experience I won't buy netgear again.
Message 12 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

I can't believe how bad netgear support is:

* they won't confirm the issue
* they won't look into it a week+ after it was reported
* they want to arrange a call. OK. They don't call.
* they open a ticket at 2am for the call and close it at 4am because I didn't reply.
* they don't even have a proper forum for the D6400 - we have to post here under a different product. That sums up their priority.

Only on public twitter do they move slightly and apologise... But no progress.

Does their CEO know? Maybe I should write to hiim/her directly.
Message 13 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

I finally spoke to netgear tech support:

Was disappointed as they clearly don't seem to test the product properly before release, not do proper user research into what users like or dislike or need.

Anyway he (Joey? Joel?) agreed to confirm publicly (eg here) and look into

1. Static IP on wan broken in d6400
2. UI too slow - slower than ancient netgear dg834pn
3. Less info available to diagnose what's wrong - the older UI have you more clues, the advanced tab here does less
4. Inability to turn off bright LED - bad if router is in your bedroom. Old router had UI to turn of silly lights
5. No activity blinking to show traffic like older routers - useful to diagnose issues
6. Get proper subforum set up for the d6400 so we don't have to post here. He didn't even realise the "new" forums aren't even working yet. It takes 30 seconds to set up new subforum here.

Let's hope they stick to their word and honour!

I have low hopes though... I had a message today asking for screenshots... From a no-reply email. And they want to know my IP range... Why???
Message 14 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

They want me to upload the config file.

problem is it is encrypted / obfuscated... and contains my IPs, login, password, etc...

previously they used a human readable XML file which I could have edited

sigh - whats with nether getting al c"losed"
Message 15 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Third week and still no progress and enlightenment from tech support.

Lots of emails (no-reply) and calls asking the same questions .. But no progress.

Definitely will never get a netgear again.
Message 16 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello project_2501

We have looked into your issue with the static IP on the D6400 and we are still investigating the issues but we have found that this is a limitation on both the ISP and the product at this point because this is not a normal configuration that most service providers would use. At some point we could release a fix for this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. 

DarrenM

Message 17 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

DarrenM

I totally disagree. What a cop out.

1. This is NOT exotic functionality. It's basic.
2. You advertised the router as working. It doesn't.
3. Every router I've owned (home, HUGE business) can do this fine. Including older netgears.
4. This has NOTHING to do with the ISP who continue to serve static IP customers happily and have done for years. Decade +

So your reply sadky makes netgear loom stupid because it assumes we're stupid.

Why don't you explain in technical detail why you blame the ISP? Don't worry I'm not afraid of technical stuff.

It's been 3 full weeks and this is the best we can get out of netgear.

Don't buy netgear.
Message 18 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Fifth week now and zero actual progress.

Only frustrating calls and emails with netgear support people who read from a script.

Their techie blames the ISP with no explanation then disappears.

Netgear must be doing really well to not care about customers.
Message 19 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

The latest firmware v1.0.0.34 doesn't fix this .. 

the release notes don't say that it does

so why did their tech support point me to it?

Message 20 of 23

Reset the modem?

Message 21 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

Doesn't help.

Thanks for trying.
Message 22 of 23
project_2501
Aspirant

They keep asking for config and log files.

Thing is they're binaries. I can't see what I'm sending them.

Do they care so little about #infosec #privacy #personaldata ?

Which chump had the bright idea of changing from open transparent human readable files ... ? Like netgear used before....
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7