Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 VOIP over the NBN

TC261978
Follower

D6400 VOIP over the NBN

Hi Ive recently moved over to the NBN and am wondering if I can connect my home phone to the D6400? I have the the cable running from the internet (red) port on the router to the NBN connection box (we have fibre to the premises) and was told by our ISP to connect our phone to the router to make and receive calls. Do I connect the phone to the DSL (grey) port?

Thanks

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 3

Re: D6400 VOIP over the NBN

Message 2 of 3
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: D6400 VOIP over the NBN

@michaelkenward wrote:

This might help:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That doesn't answer the OPs question.

I don't have NBN here either but will hazard a guess and say no, your D6400 doesn't have VoIP capabilities.

IIUC ISPs are providing VoIP services and providing modem (routers) that have these capabilities so that people can plug in one or possibly two handsets (depending on the VoIP ports on the device).

The other problem is you may have problems finding out what your VoIP settings are, again, depending on ISP, Telstra appear to be secretive about settings and configuration of their devices.

If your ISP provides a VoIP service as part of your NBN connection and you can get the needed settings you either need to obtain a VoIP capable router (like the ones usually provided by ISPs as part of the connection package) or get an ATA, configure it and plug your phone or cordless base station into it, and of course plug it into one of your D6400 switch ports.

There may be different types of NBN connection so this might not be correct, you will need to check that yourself but as you were told to plug the phone into the router it sounds right.

I've seen people mention the "Cisco SPA112 2 Port VoIP ATA", it's around AU$75 but I haven't used one myself.

With luck it will work behind your NAT without manual port forwarding on your router but, as I say, I don't know if that will be the case.

I have a Naked DSL connection which requires VoIP for phone services and use a FritzBox 7390 for VoIP (plugged into a D8500 with the appropriate ports forwarded). It also allows me to use VoIP softphones on computers if I wish and has a built in DECT base station so I can use cordless DECT phones with it (the Fritz DECT phones integrate best) and save the phone ports for things like a fax machine if I need one.

Ian

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7