Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6400 drops DSL once every 24h

grubfx
Aspirant

D6400 drops DSL once every 24h

As the title suggests my D6400 (from the beta test) always drops the DSL connection and I have to reboot it in order to get it working again. The WAN statistics page still shows up-/down-speeds as well as attenuation & noise margin stats but to me it looks like no outgoing IP release/renew request to my ISP (since I'm on a dynamic IP) is made. Also I spotted an option to automatically reconnect the WAN at a given daytime (or reboot the router, I don't recall exactly) but I can't find that option anymore. I think it was somewhere around the inputs for DSL credentials and when I tried it back then it didn't work either, meaning I was able to choose a time but as soon as I saved the page reloaded and the option was unselected again.

FW version is V1.0.0.60_1.0.60 and I would really appreciate your help here

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try resetting the router via a factory reset and set it up again from scratch. Remove all Ethernet connections when using the reset button on the router. 

Message 2 of 11

Which ISP?

Are you sure you have the right DSL settings?

Message 3 of 11
grubfx
Aspirant

@M-B wrote:

Try resetting the router via a factory reset and set it up again from scratch. Remove all Ethernet connections when using the reset button on the router. 

Does this make a difference if something is plugged in while performing a factory reset? I already resetted it but didn't unplug the LAN connections but I'll try soon then.

Message 4 of 11
grubfx
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Which ISP?

Are you sure you have the right DSL settings?

A1 (Telekom Austria)

I tried setting up the WAN connection manually once with details provided directly from the ISP and also with the wizard (which also detected it correctly) but it results in the same problem. The connection works perfectly the 24h after a reboot but it looks like it won't request a new IP afterwards. WAN IP is set to "Get Dynamically from ISP", NAT enabled and the default router MAC on the WAN side with only my DNS settings entered manually (I also tried setting these back to dynamic which didn't help).

Message 5 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am now also experiencing problems since the update of the firmware to V1.0.0.60. The router sporadically reboots due to a crash, as the error log is cleared and starts from the time of the crash and loss of Internet.

I have also performed a factory reset and set up from scratch but 24H later it has crashed (rebooted) again.

I am now thinking the new firmware may be at fault (or maybe it is time to replace this router)!

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 6 of 11

@M-B wrote:
I am now thinking the new firmware may be at fault (or maybe it is time to replace this router)!

The new firmware works fine here. No c rashes, reboots of other issues.

It might be worth reapplying the new firmware manually. Just in case the previous update failed to complete properly.

Another fly in the ointment is that some wifi devices have been known to provoke routers into rebooting. Heaven only knows how that happens.

Message 7 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I get some time I will try re-flashing the firmware (assuming it lets me) but I would have thought the normal check sum tests done when flashing firmware would have detected a fault.

As for the original posters issue have you tried setting the Idle Timeout to "0"? The default seems to be 5 minutes.

Internet Setup PageInternet Setup Page

Message 8 of 11
grubfx
Aspirant

@M-B wrote:

As for the original posters issue have you tried setting the Idle Timeout to "0"? The default seems to be 5 minutes.

My connection is set to "always on" so the option for Idle time out is grayed out (exactly like in your picture) which means I can't change it anyways.

Message 9 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, if "Always on" is set then the idel timeout is not avialable.

Message 10 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just out of interest I decided to upgrade my router and now have a TP-Link AC2800. I have to say the setup was a lot simpler than the Netgear and I love that when you make a change the router does not need to re-boot every time! Also I have been able to activate IPV6 and it is working fine with BT Infinity. So now I just need to wait and see how stable it is! 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7