Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 for NBN connection, does it work?

Mysterious
Aspirant

D6400 for NBN connection, does it work?

My internet is about to be switched over to NBN from ADSL. The D6400 modem is meant to be NBN compatible but according to NetGear it has a known issue with FTTN and does not work. Is this true? I'm looking to change to the D7000 if that's the case does this have any issues. I use LAN connections for PCs ps4 and wifi for tablet. Wifi speed isn't important I want the LAN speed for PC gaming

Message 1 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D6400 for NBN connection, does it work?

Message 2 of 19
Mysterious
Aspirant

thanks, I have had a read through it a few times, but at the end it has

"Note: NETGEAR has identified an incompatibility issue between D6400 modem routers and NBN FTTN connections. We are currently working on resolving this issue and will provide further updates when available."

Looking through different forums it seems people are using it, so wasnt sure if it has been fixed, or only works on some connections.

Message 3 of 19
prawnhead
Aspirant

I recently had to replace my modem, and knowing that my suburb would be connected to the NBN FTTN in a few months I bought the D6400 because the packaging advertised VDSL as well as ADSL.  

Now it appears that the D6400 is not compitble with the FTTN.  

Why was this not made obvious on the packaging so that I was not tricked into to purchasing a device that I will have to throw away when I connect to the NBN.  

Can I get my money back or a replament device that will work as advertised?

Message 4 of 19
Mysterious
Aspirant

It was NBN compatible but since NBN has came out Netgear has found there is an issue with FTTN (it works for FTTP) it is on there site with listed compatible NBN modems right at the bottom it says there is a issue with the D6400.

I took mine back and after they looked into it they replaced it and I paid the extra and got the D7000 . I am on NBN now and is working fine.

Go back to where you bought it and explain the issue and get them to look on Netgear site.

They are still selling it as NBN compatible as they haven't been officially notified of the issue

Message 5 of 19
prawnhead
Aspirant

Just turned my office upside down looking for receipt and cant find it ATM.  Goodguys does not sell the D7000 anyway....I doubt that I would be able to get a full refund... as the NBN is 2 weeks away, and arguing ADSL / VDSL with a shop assistant is not going to work.  Netgear should do something, iys really thri problem, they advertise VDSL on the packaging... it is false advertising

Message 6 of 19
Mysterious
Aspirant

I found out 2 wks before aswell. I'm with dodo rang to organise getting NBN and they told me it wasn't compatible. Someone on whirlpool showed me the link to Netgear. I got mine from jbhifi they didn't believe me and weren't going to help. But they is the right thing and looked online themself. They were sending it back to NetGear as a faulty modem. It wasn't jbhifi fault they said the modem companies notify them of issues, but they hadn't been told

Message 7 of 19

@prawnhead wrote:

Just turned my office upside down looking for receipt and cant find it ATM.  Goodguys does not sell the D7000 anyway....I doubt that I would be able to get a full refund... as the NBN is 2 weeks away, and arguing ADSL / VDSL with a shop assistant is not going to work.  Netgear should do something, iys really thri problem, they advertise VDSL on the packaging... it is false advertising

The D6400 works fine on most flavours of VDSL. It is the NBN FTTN thing that is the wrinkle.

Netgear claims that the D6400 is compatible:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible?

As someone else has noted that page says:

NETGEAR has identified an incompatibility issue between D6400 modem routers and NBN FTTN connections. We are currently working on resolving this issue and will provide further updates when available.

That page was last updated on "11/28/2016", that's 28 Nov 2016 in real money, so Netgear isn't exactly busting a gut to fix it. Keep complainig and maybe someone will fix it.

Message 8 of 19
Mysterious
Aspirant

Yea it's a bit crap, frustrating. I had to replace my D Link because of a near by lightening strike so figured I'd get NBN ready. As soon as it was available in my suburb I rang ISP to organise it and they were adament that the D6400 wasn't compatible. Looked online and asked around and sure enough it's not. The store wasn't keen to replace it thinking I was just whinging but they looked for themself and found it was an issue. Would not be happy if they wouldn't replace it for anyone.

Message 9 of 19
prawnhead
Aspirant

Just spoke to somone on the phone support line about why the D6400 does not work with the FTTN NBN.  He told me I needed to pay an additional US$ 99 and after 6 months it will work WTF

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 10 of 19

@prawnhead wrote:

He told me I needed to pay an additional US$ 99 and after 6 months it will work WTF

This is the well known Netgear support scam. It is outrageous. You ring for help and the first line of the script tells then to demand money. They do it even, as is the case here, there is nothing they can do to help you.

Ignore all requests for money. Complain loudly.

If you are within the first 90 days or purchase, their services, for what they are worth, which may not be much, are free. After that you will probably get better free advice here.

Message 11 of 19
Mysterious
Aspirant

Yea don't fall for that.  Worst case buy a new modem and put the D6400 away. From what I see there is no fix and looks like there will not be a fix in the future.

I'm happy with the D7000 it's working fine easy to setup and easy to work out port forward etc for security cameras and gaming.

Message 12 of 19
shane8766
Aspirant

Netgear yesterday released a firmware update that fixes this. You will need to download the update on your computer, then change to the d6400 modem and then upload it into the router and wait for it to do its thing. Then you can set it up. Make sure you select vdsl and know your vlan ID (ask your service provider)
Message 13 of 19
shane8766
Aspirant

Also, make sure you know your ISP details before trying to contact configure the modem.
Message 14 of 19
BS1974
Aspirant

Hi Shane, is this a definite fix for NBN FTTN service compatibility. I can't see anything on the Netgear website to say this including the page that states an incompatibility issue from November 2016.

Message 15 of 19
shane8766
Aspirant

Yep. Fixed mine.
Message 16 of 19

As a reminder, here is where you can find firmware and documentation for the D6400:

D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The release notes explaijn what to do:

D6400 Firmware Version 1.0.0.60 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 17 of 19
Dazz123
Aspirant

Can people confirm update is definate fix, using telstra fttn
Message 18 of 19

@Dazz123 wrote:
Can people confirm update is definate fix, using telstra fttn

Isn't this good enough for you?

>>>> Re: D6400 for NBN connection, does it work? - NETGEAR Communities <<<<

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7