Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6400 update not possible

albgen
Aspirant

D6400 update not possible

Hello,

How is it possible that the autoupdate feature on year 2020 does not work with this router?
Common netgear, you are ridiculous!

A 5 dollar router is even better compared to yours. Not joking!
Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@albgen wrote:

Anyway, it does not matter, the automatic update and the manual update by clicking on that button that alerts you in case of a new update, never worked!

It did here.

@albgen wrote:

And yes, there are 5usd chinese routers.

Thank you for the useful link to show me these miracles. Good luck with using them.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> How is it possible that the autoupdate feature on year 2020 does not
> work with this router?

How is it possible to write a problem description with so little
useful information?

Current firmware version?

Which kind of "not work" s this?  Is there some actual problem which
you are trying to solve?

"not work" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> A 5 dollar router is even better compared to yours. [...]

Which maker/model is that?  Define "better".

> [...] Not joking!

Not helping, either.

Message 2 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

It seems you have not this router and so you dont know about this feature.
It does not matter the firmware version because it never worked.
Bye
Message 3 of 8

The D6400 is now a slightly aged DSL modem/router. (I pensioned mine off for various reasons.) Automated updates are a relatively new innovation.

But that raises the question as to what you man by automated updates. For the D6400 it is something that you have to initiate yourself from the browser. Unlike some newer devices, it isn't something that happens in the background.

Somehow I don't think you are really interested in getting an answer to your question – or you would have answered the questions you were asked.

So I'll just throw in the thought that for many experienced users the first thing they do is disable automated updates.They also avoid using the onboard update feature.

They do this because the automated processes seem to be good at killing an otherwise functioning device. They prefer downloading the firmware and performing a manual update.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I'd be interested to know where you can buy a $5 router, but, of course, the D6400 isn't a router. And DSL modem are gradually disappearing from the market. You might be able to make a nice profit if you want to sell your D6400. Then again, experienced users also try to avoid a combined modem/router. It limits their flexibility and the features that they can get from the router bit.

Message 4 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

I did a manual update by downloading and uploading the firmware. This was more a complain because, really it is not normal to have a feature and not even test it. It is so simple to test it! So why do they release this kind of features?! 

Anyway, it does not matter, the automatic update and the manual update by clicking on that button that alerts you in case of a new update, never worked!

Message 5 of 8

@albgen wrote:

It did here.

@albgen wrote:

Thank you for the useful link to show me these miracles. Good luck with using them.

Message 6 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

Never said i'm hoing to write you a link or inform you for a specific brand/model of a 5usd router.

In general, goodluck to you too !

Have a nice day
Bye
Message 7 of 8
overscan
Aspirant

I had the same issue recently with the most recent update failing via autoupdate feature. Downloading the update file and uploading it manually worked fine.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7