Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet

FractalFragger
Aspirant

D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet

As the title explains D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet.

I bought this yesterday and have got it configured to connect via WAN to my BT Fibre ONT. I have BT Full Fibre 900 and when connecting either my laptop/D-Link Router or the Smart Hub 2 directly to the ONT via PORT1 i get at least 870Mbps down. this is with devices with certified gigabit LAN conenctors using both Cat5e and Cat6 ethernet cables. I have used both premoulded ends and ones that I have crimped myself and on any other router or via direct connection to the ONT i get >870Mbps everytime.

Now that the Netgear D7000-200UKS has been connected i cannot get anything above 160Mbps. No matter what i try. Cat6 cables from ONT to WAN port on D7000 then Cat6 cable from any of the other 3 gigabit LAN ports on the D7000 to my desktop, which as I said has a gigabit ethernet connection. The link speed is showing as 1Gbps but its only getting 160Mbps when connected to the D7000v2

The connection status on the genie control panel show the WAN and all LAN ports as 1000M/Full QoS is disabled and as its BT it has to be a PPPoE. Traffic Metering is off, Readyshare, ReadyCLOUD and Media Server are all off. the LEDs for LANS 1-3 and the WAN are white indicating Gigabit connections. 

The firmware did update about half an hour after i plugged it in and set it up to v1.0.0.62_1.0.1 I have not factory reset it but every other person with this issue who has factory reset it does not resolve the issue. the only other things i configured were WIFI and guest wifi

Why is this happening when other devices connected to the BT ONT work perfectly?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet

@FractalFragger wrote:

As the title explains D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet.

The D7000 is a DSL modem/router.

Any reason why you bought that rather than a plain router?

Have you tried the BT user group for advice? The p[eople there usually know hat they are doing and this could be a BT configuration issue.

But if this is a new purchase, I'd return it for something more suitable to the task in hand.

Message 2 of 4
FractalFragger
Aspirant

Re: D7000-200UKS connected via WAN to BT Fibre ONT getting max 160Mbps on ethernet

Hi, 

I do understand that this is a DSL Modem/Router, however the specifications clearly state that there is a WAN port on the device to connect to an ethernet modem. So please dont insult users by the use of condescending comments like this.

I bought the D7000 over the R7000 as I could not find the R7000 cheaper than the D7000 anywhere and by having the option of a built in modem if I were to move properties and not benefit from FTTP, i would need a modem.

This is not a BT configuration issue as The BT hub works as expected and I also have a D-Link Dir-882 (that happens to be plugged in right now) and am getting constant speeds of 850Mbps and up over cat6 ethernet cables. The configuration settings on the D-Link and this D7000 are identical, the Link speed on the D7000 is displayed as Gigabit (white LED on WAN port). 

It has beed returned for a full refund and I will never buy another NETGEAR product again!

So, as per this post and countless other posts, messages and issues from other people that have looked online for a resolution to this issue for this and many other model routers. IF ANY NETGEAR STAFF ARE ON HERE AND CAN SEE THIS THREAD, PULL YOUR **bleep** FINGERS OUT AND FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, THERE WAS A TIME THAT YOU WERE THE MUTTS NUTS IN HOME NETWORKING PRODUCTS BUT NOW THE LIKES OF ZYXEL AND TENDA ARE KICKING YOUR ARSE!!!

From a seriously disgruntled IT guy

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 4

@FractalFragger wrote:

Hi, 

I do understand that this is a DSL Modem/Router, however the specifications clearly state that there is a WAN port on the device to connect to an ethernet modem. So please dont insult users by the use of condescending comments like this.

Thank you for adding crucial details that were not there in your first message. I was simply trying to understand what was going on at your end.

Yes, an ADSL modem/router can operate as a router, but there is more to the configuration than simply using the WAN ports. There are many things that may need tweaking, but we never got that far.

However, your reason for coming here seems to be to rant rather to have a than a civilised conversation, so I leave you to get on with your life.

By the way, the D7000 is not simply an R7000 with a modem bit. The firmware on the D7000 is not the same. It is also less likely to receive updates than the R7000. These things can start off with similar features, but over time they diverge as firmware updates bring features to routers that may never make it on to modem/routers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7