Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 5GHz wifi issue

Sergione
Aspirant

D7000 5GHz wifi issue

Hi to all.

Another WiFi problem yet.

For the third consecutive day, I need to reboot the D7000 modem/router because my smartphone was connected to WiFi but without internet.

Am I the only one that have this issue?

Many thanks in advance to who will answer.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: D7000 5GHz wifi issue

The D7000 has 2 versions. Which version do you have? What firmware is on it?

Have you tried resetting the device back to factory settings and re-setting it up?

If you do update firmware, make sure you do it over a hardwired connection and reset the device back to factory after the update. 

this can solve quite a few problems. 

Message 2 of 10
Sergione
Aspirant

Hi Prodigy,

Right. Misses some details.
At the moment I'm out of house. This evening hope to put the info required.
But I didn't upgrade the router recently.
Just yesterday evening I saw the the issue isn't only on WiFi, but in some wired devices too.
By internet side I think it's all ok, because I can connect router via OpenVPN, but can't reach any devices in LAN.
Message 3 of 10
Sergione
Aspirant

Here I am.

Follows the info:

Version of D7000 : I suppose 1

Vesrsion of firmware : V1.0.1.70_1.0.1

I don't try to reset to factory. It will be the last try

Just some more infos

This evening my smartphone (Android WiFi 5GHz) was again connected to WiFi but without internet.
My wife's smartophone (Android too WiFi 5GHz) was connected with internet. Not the same condition of yesterday evening.
Some devices, such as decoder Sky (wired) and a couple of IPCam (one wired and the other by WiFi 2,4GHz) was unreacheble.
My PC (wired) and another IPCam (WiFi 2,4GHz) was correcly connected to internet.

My smartphone have an IP Address Reservation, and when connected without internet, I saw that the router have it in connected devices list, but the smartphone haven't the IP address from router (the IP address come from 4G network).

This issue it seems comes out when we left the Chromecast attached. Tomorrow I'm going to try to leave it powered off.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

I know for a bit about a year ago, chromecasts were causing problems with routers. I'll link an old article at the end I looked up quick. have you checked to see if the chromecast is updated? 

https://bgr.com/2018/01/15/google-chromecast-home-wifi-problems-router-crashing/

Message 5 of 10

@Sergione wrote:

I don't try to reset to factory. It will be the last try

Come back if that does not fix it.

Message 6 of 10

@plemans wrote:

I know for a bit about a year ago, chromecasts were causing problems with routers.

The dreaded "Chromecast flood".

Netgear and other router makers sorted that one out pretty quickly.It was an industry wide issue created by some sloppy programming at Google.

Google eventually responded and mended its own firmware. That should not be an issue any more, so long as the user has everything updated.

Message 7 of 10
Sergione
Aspirant

Hi to all.

I knew about the Chromecast flood.

I was one of beta tester of the firmware that solved the problem.

Now the issue is quiet different.

This morning I left my Chromecast detached, but nothing changed this evening when back at home.
Same condition. My smartphone connected to 5Ghz WiFi but without internet.
Had needed an hardreset.

Next try for tomorrow will be detach a new IPCam.

After that, will reset to factory.

Keep in touch!

Message 8 of 10
Sergione
Aspirant

Rif.: D7000 5GHz wifi issue

Here I am again.

Well, last try had successful. 

This morning I detached the power line used for connecting a remote IPCAM.

This afternoon, when back at home, my smartphone  was connected at 5GHz WiFi with Internet. 

Unsure if the matter was the IPCam plus power line, I left both detached for try later if the issue will come out again. Out of house for dinner, when back nothing changed. Connected with Internet.

Next try will be  attach only the powerline.

Here I am again.

Well, last try had successful. 

This morning I detached the powerline used for connecting a remote IPCAM.

This afternoon, when back at home, my smartphone  was connected at 5GHz WiFi with Internet. 

Unsure if the matter was the IPCam plus powerline, I left both detached for try later if the issue will come out again. Out of house for dinner, when back nothing changed. Connected with Internet.

Next try will be connect only the powerline.

Message 9 of 10
Sergione
Aspirant

Rif.: D7000 5GHz wifi issue

Hi to all,

some news.

I tried to reconnect IPCam and the issue was back again.

I saw that some devices had no problem to navigate on internet, like my PC, and other didn't, like my smartphone.
In another PC I saw that it didn't able to resolve addresses, but no problem if I tried to ping the IP addresses, like 8.8.8.8

In this other PC I changed the DNS address in IPV4 configuration, sobstituting the router IP with the google DNS.
It works!

Now the question is: what appen to DNS router server when the IPCam is connected to the LAN?

Now I try to connect the IPCam to the LAN without the powerline.
After this, if the issue is still here, I'm going to try a factory reset. Hoping that will be the right solution.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7