Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 Modem Only Mode - Updating Firmware

elementaltm
Aspirant

D7000 Modem Only Mode - Updating Firmware

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm currently using the D7000v1 in modem only mode as the routing etc is managed by Netgear Mesh Router (MR60). In modem only mode I am unable to view any of the D7000 hardware settings (Admin) is this behaviour intended by Netgear? How are you supposed to check/update the Firmware? Thanks in advance.
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ageinghack
Tutor

@elementaltm wrote:
In modem only mode I am unable to view any of the D7000 hardware settings (Admin) is this behaviour intended by Netgear?

It has nothing to do with Netgear, you will find similar behaviour with other "bridged" devices.

It is the nature of "modem only" mode.

The usual ways into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) on the D7000 is routerlogin.net or the IP address, usually 192.168.0.1. But in modem only mode you have disabled the router that would direct the browser in the right direction.

The firmware is effectively the only thing that you can manage in bridge mode. Everything else is done in the router.

The simple way to update the firmware is to check the support pages for new firmware.

This is generally recommended as the safest and most reliable way to check and update firmware. The onboard check is famously bad at catching all updates. And manual update is less liable to fall over in the process.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

New firmware doesn't come along very often with modem routers, and to download a copy of any new firmware. (Remember there are two hardware version of the D7000 and you need the firmware for your version.)

Then you can disconnect the router from the modem and connect your PC, or whatever you use to access the GUI, to the D7000 and update the firmware. I find it helps to use a laptop to get at the modem. Saves faffing around with the network.

I can't recal if it takes any fancy messing around to get back into the modem, but it is a simple job to reset, flash and then reconfigure.

A bit of a nuisance, I'll admit , but you probably won't have to do it more than once a year, perhaps less.

I abandoned using a modem/router, a D6400, in modem only mode because it messes up the network after a power cut. The D6400 was so slow to get the connection that the router behind it timed out and I had a dead network. Fine if you are there to reboot things, but hopeless when you are away.

Unfortunately, the only modem-only device that Netgear made, the DM200, seems to have disappeared from the market.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
ageinghack
Tutor

@elementaltm wrote:
In modem only mode I am unable to view any of the D7000 hardware settings (Admin) is this behaviour intended by Netgear?

It has nothing to do with Netgear, you will find similar behaviour with other "bridged" devices.

It is the nature of "modem only" mode.

The usual ways into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) on the D7000 is routerlogin.net or the IP address, usually 192.168.0.1. But in modem only mode you have disabled the router that would direct the browser in the right direction.

The firmware is effectively the only thing that you can manage in bridge mode. Everything else is done in the router.

The simple way to update the firmware is to check the support pages for new firmware.

This is generally recommended as the safest and most reliable way to check and update firmware. The onboard check is famously bad at catching all updates. And manual update is less liable to fall over in the process.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

New firmware doesn't come along very often with modem routers, and to download a copy of any new firmware. (Remember there are two hardware version of the D7000 and you need the firmware for your version.)

Then you can disconnect the router from the modem and connect your PC, or whatever you use to access the GUI, to the D7000 and update the firmware. I find it helps to use a laptop to get at the modem. Saves faffing around with the network.

I can't recal if it takes any fancy messing around to get back into the modem, but it is a simple job to reset, flash and then reconfigure.

A bit of a nuisance, I'll admit , but you probably won't have to do it more than once a year, perhaps less.

I abandoned using a modem/router, a D6400, in modem only mode because it messes up the network after a power cut. The D6400 was so slow to get the connection that the router behind it timed out and I had a dead network. Fine if you are there to reboot things, but hopeless when you are away.

Unfortunately, the only modem-only device that Netgear made, the DM200, seems to have disappeared from the market.

Message 2 of 6
Jammygit
Aspirant

Hello,

I am replying to your 2016 post about Plusnet and "IP (bRAS) Profiles were set too low" which I'm getting crashing. I am on Plusnet and my D7000 is crashing. How do you set the IP Profile to a higher setting to stop the stupid thing crashing every day? Did you ever find a fix? Thanks.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 6

@Jammygit wrote:

How do you set the IP Profile to a higher setting to stop the stupid thing crashing every day? 

The IP profile is not something that you can control. It is in the hands of the ISP.

However, I have seen no evidence that IP profiles are related to crashing modems.

I would investigate other possibilities.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Message 4 of 6
Jammygit
Aspirant

Thanks but if you hadn't noticed, I can't reply to the original post because it's "solved", but I need to know how he did it so I can fix mine.

Message 5 of 6

@Jammygit wrote:

Thanks but if you hadn't noticed, I can't reply to the original post because it's "solved", but I need to know how he did it so I can fix mine.

Ignore. This is linkspam.

Reported.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7