Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 - New Firmware. 1.0.1.42_1.0.1

williamyzfr1
Guide

D7000 - New Firmware. 1.0.1.42_1.0.1

Just installed the new Firmware and on the Homepage on the Wireless tab it is complaining there is no wireless security although there is.

I have reverted back to the previous firmware (38).

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
TexTexan
Tutor

New 1.0.1.44 firmware has been released that has fixed the wireless security message bug.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31436

View solution in original post

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 24 of 28

All Replies

Did you do a factory reset after the flash? You don't say.

That is recommended, although it isn't always essential. It is, though, a good idea if you experience any problems.

Message 2 of 28
williamyzfr1
Guide

No I didn't. You may be correct about the factory reset but I haven't found it necesssary previously and really don't have time to input my individual settings again.

So I will stay with version 38.

Message 3 of 28

I haven't found it necesssary previously and really don't have time to input my individual settings again.

Me neither.

One option is to save the settings, reset the device and then reload them afterwards.

That is no guarantee that the old settings won't restore something that mucks up the device, but there is no harm in trying. You can always reset again.

Message 4 of 28
williamyzfr1
Guide

Tried what was suggested.

Save Settings

New Firmware

Factory Reset

Reload Settings.

Stll had "No Wireless Security".

So reverted back to 38 again.

Message 5 of 28

Maybe the "Reload settings" has restored something nasty.

That can happen. After all, the new firmware exists to change stuff. That is why Netgear usually recommends a reset,

I would have checked the wifi security before I reloaded the settings. That would have confirmed this theory.

Message 6 of 28
williamyzfr1
Guide

I did check the wifi security before I reloaded the settings.

Message 7 of 28
ytcyguy
Aspirant

Mine was giving the same error. It is reporting the Guest Network, not the main wireless network. I set the password on the Guest Network and then instead of "No password!" it is showing the Guest Network SSID, which it should NOT be doing. That should only be in the lower right panel. 

Message 8 of 28
williamyzfr1
Guide

I don't have any guest networks.

Message 9 of 28
ytcyguy
Aspirant

It doesn't care. It's not checked / enabled but if you add a password you then see it's reporting the Guest network.

Message 10 of 28
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ytcyguy 

So when you have your main network setup you are seeing the guest network and you do not even have it enabled?

DarrenM

Message 11 of 28
ytcyguy
Aspirant

The Guest Network is showing up in the Netgear Home page where the main network should be displayed (middle top panel), just like it is in the lower right panel. The SSID for the Guest Network is NOT being broadcast. Not sure which "seeing the guest network" you are talking about.

Message 12 of 28
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Darren may want to know if your devices see the guest network being brodcast even though you think it should not be turned on.

Message 13 of 28
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks w3wilkes 

That was what I am asking.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 28
CDL65
Tutor

I'm having the same problems. I upgraded the D7000 firmware from the beta V38_lanip_reserve to version 1.0.1.42 and ran some brief tests. Unfortunately I found some very obvious problems within about 5 minutes.

Firstly, the good news - version 42 appears to fix the major problem with version 38 (the total failure of the reserved LAN IP address mechanism) - this now seems to work as it should. All other basic communications functions relating to WAN and LAN communication also appear to work OK.

But, some new problems have appeared ...

1) The Basic/Home screen has a box showing wireless status - this now contains a yellow rectangle containing the text "Warning No Security" together with an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle. I have checked the router's wireless configuration and it is set to WPA2-PSK [AES] on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. To check whether the wireless connection was actually using WPA2, I disconnected an iPhone and reconnected it to the 5GHz band - it would only connect if I entered the correct WPA2 key as configured in the router. I conclude from this that the wireless connection is working correctly as configured but the error message is displayed incorrectly.

The only way I found to make the security warning message go away was to configure and enable the Guest networks for WPA2-PSK [AES] - then disable them. This process causes the "Warning No Security" message on the Basic/Home screen to be replaced with a scrolling box telling me that the Guest network status is good and informing me of the WPA key. This is incorrect since the scrolling box should report on the main wireless network status (especially since the Guest network is disabled).

2) At the top of the Internet setup screen (I'm using a VDSL connection from Plusnet in the UK) there are boxes to select "Country" and "Internet Service Provider". Immediately after the firmware upgrade I noticed that the ISP had changed from "Plusnet" to "Adam" (I don't recognise Adam as a UK ISP). I entered "UK" in the country box and was presented with a drop down list of ISPs in the ISP box that did not contain any of the main UK ISPs such as Plusnet and BT. I rebooted the router and tried setting the country box to various other countries (e.g. USA, Turkey) - when I eventually set the country box back to UK, the correct list of UK ISPs was displayed and I was able to select Plusnet as my ISP.

3) On the "Attached Devices" screen ... When I disconnected/reconnected an iPhone to the 5GHz wireless band (see above) the attached devices screen showed the iPhone as a wired device rather than a wireless device. I checked the MAC address to make sure that it was the iPhone - it was, and it was definitely wireless ! I hit the refresh button on this screen a few times and eventually the iPhone moved to the wireless section of the screen.

4) The "Attached Devices" screen shows a hyphen rather than the allocated IP address for some/all connected wireless devices. These devices work OK, but the allocated IP address is simply displayed as a hyphen. Sometimes hitting "Refresh" will cause the correct address to be displayed, sometimes it will not !  You might think this is a minor fault, but I'm using headless Linux devices and I need the IP address to connect to them so that I can find out what IP address has been allocated to them - you see the problem !

I repeated all the above tests after another firmware upgrade and a factory reset - same results.

Overall, not a great improvement. The most worrying problem is that the router reports that there is no wireless security when (it appears) that there is. This shows up on the first screen visble to users when they log in, so I'm really surprised that this problem was not identified immediately during testing. Likewise the complete failure of the reserved IP address allocation feature in earlier versions of firmware should have been easily identified during testing. Maybe NETGEAR should take a close look at their testing procedures !

I have now reverted to the beta V38_lanip_reserve firmware which seems to be the version with the fewest problems since (about) V26.

I'm getting a bit annoyed about Netgear's attitude - they really, really should test this stuff before releasing it. I have raised a support case with Netgear, but when I try to update the case I get the message "A fatal server error occured and has been emailed to support personel." Even if we ignore the two spelling mistakes in this message it is not doing anything to make me feel that Netgear are taking these problems seriously.

Message 15 of 28
bobjane
Star

Thanks CDL65, you saved me a lot of time that would have been spent messing around trying to figure out which version was less broken.

Message 16 of 28
CDL65
Tutor

No problem.   But be aware that there are faults reported against V38 relating to features that I don't use, so what might be important for you may not affect me. For example, I don't use and have not tested media streaming. Likewise since I don't use Genie or remote support features (potential security risk), I have not tested them. etc etc.

Good luck.

Message 17 of 28
TexTexan
Tutor

So has Netgear recognised this as an issue with the firmware and will release a 'fixed' version soon?

Message 18 of 28
Inktomi93
Initiate

I have been getting the same issue. Only resolution i have found is to slap a password on the guest network that is not even turned on. I did a full factory reset and got the same results. Fairly annoying that a router that has been out for quite a while is still being treated as a guinea pig for faulty firmware.

Message 19 of 28
Rick_K
Guide

I am glad I found this post. Explains why it was doing the same on my one at home. I was like.. that is not my SSID name... oh wait that is the Guest Wifi I am not using! 

Netgear, please fix this.

Message 20 of 28
CDL65
Tutor

A quick update on this ....

Because of the problems with V42 firmware, I had reverted to using the beta V1.0.0.38_1.0.1_lanip_reserve firmware. Netgear recently provided a new beta version of firmware (V1.0.1.44_1.0.1), so I upgraded to this. Note that in this instance, I did NOT do a factory reset or reload any configuration parameters from backup file.

Although I have not exhaustively tested functionality, it appears that the problem where V42 firmware incorrectly reported no security on the wifi network is resolved. Also, the scrolling text on the Basic/Home screen now correctly shows the wireless status of the main wifi network rather than the guest network. It is no longer necessary to specify a password for the guest network(s) in order to get this working.

I did test that the reserved IP address function worked OK, and it did (this was a problem with V38).

I still have a really annoying problem where the attached devices screen shows a hyphen "-" rather than an allocated IP address for some/all attached devices. This still needs to be fixed.

I will leave the firmware on the beta V44 for a while and continue to test - I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Message 21 of 28
Mcc1210
Guide

Ok another issue I found, don't know if others can confirm.

So this release is supposed to allow VPN from TUN clients, i.e. smarphones. Well tried it and although the connection works, access to the local network does not. 

Looking in the VPN log it appears that the D7000 is specifying the local network incorrectly and the VPN client reports tun_prop_erro: route is not canonical.

Message 22 of 28
Stefano63
Tutor

Yes, I confirm the bug when you use the vpn with a smartphone.  

Message 23 of 28
TexTexan
Tutor

New 1.0.1.44 firmware has been released that has fixed the wireless security message bug.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31436

Message 24 of 28
Rick_K
Guide

Anyone know if the VPN issue is addressed in this one too?
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7