Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 Nighthawk 2.4ghz connection issues

fboy
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Nighthawk 2.4ghz connection issues

I had exactly these issues since the previous firmware upgrade. Was somewhat hacked off with support trying to force me to go premium despite it cleaarly being Netgear who introduced the issue, seeing as how many of us have had it.

However, I upgraded to the V1.0.1.52_1.0.1 firmware yesterday. It still drops out occasionally but unlike before, it has actually sorted itself out this morning and is working. I will post again if it starts playing up but as of this moment, it is ok!

Message 26 of 42
BigJ1992
Aspirant

I have the same issue since the last firmware upgrade. I have seen there is a new firmware 1.0.1.54 I will give that a try. Very dissapointed with this. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 27 of 42
DuteMan
Star

I wouldn't bother with v54.  INstalled Friday Night and I'm not Rebooting more ofter after the upgrade.  On my 4th Reboot Today!

Message 28 of 42

It's most likely a bug due to a security fix all vendors developed after a WPA/WPA2 vulnerability was discovered by a researcher. All routers used to carry on authentication after a packet was lost, and that could be leveraged to to breach the packet encryption. They must have made authentication harder and now it hangs after a few attempts. Given that a device may reathenticate a few times during the day, we may experience failures that leave our devices unauthenticated and possibly blacklisted after a few hours.

Message 29 of 42
Singu1arity
Aspirant

I would assume the same fault would then apply to the 5ghz band if that were the case.

Message 30 of 42
BigJ1992
Aspirant

Exactly! 5ghz is fine with no issues. Rock solid. This only affects 2.4ghz. if this is to fix a security issue it should effect both?
Message 31 of 42
Vl-exec
Initiate

Is Netgear going to take on any responsibility and get this issue sorted! Can we take this to a social media forum such as Facebook to make this issue known publicly then maybe we will get some help! I'm unable to run programs in my house, my families unable to use google chrome cast as it will only find 2.4ghz. This is a disgrace!
Message 32 of 42
GlennD
Tutor

It seems that there are 2 different conversations on this website on the same 2.4 GHZ issue, suggest everyone get on the same one. Everyone here needs to look at the complaints on Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues which has 109 or so complaints and join that conversation

Message 33 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 Nighthawk 2.4ghz not working/connection issues

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their D7000 router. NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this. We are continuing to investigate this to determine root cause and provide a solution. However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause. To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

What to expect if you choose to work with NETGEAR may require some or all of the following:

• NETGEAR will need to load software on your computer (Teamviewer)
  • The process could potentially than an hour or more
  • You will need to be in front of your computer for the duration of the testing
  • You will need to provide personal information such as name, phone number, etc.
  • Current firmware version
  • Other firmware versions tested
  • Hardware version
  • Detailed problem description
  • Can the issue be reproduced
  • Error messages or screenshots
  • Was the unit replaced
  • Network diagram/topology
  • Configuration files
  • Configuration’s LAN IP, username, and password
  • List of wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz band
  • Description of Environment (e.g. – distances, floors, brick walls, etc.)
  • How often the disconnects happen
  • Have you tried connecting devices at a closer range (i.e 6 feet)?
  • Do all the devices on the band disconnect at the same time
  • Are you having disconnects on the 5GHz band
  • What wireless channels have you tried
  • Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name) Screenshots should show all channels)
  • Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name) (should capture when issue happens)
  • When did issue start to occur? After 6months? After a firmware upgrade? Etc.
  • Is the device running hot?
  • Have you tried resetting the unit to factory default?
  • Do you have chromecast? if so what version is it running?

If you still interesting in working with us please email netgeardslsupport@netgear.com as well need to get your personal contact information. If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Message 34 of 42
Healyhatman
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Nighthawk 2.4ghz not working/connection issues

Following this thread because I'm having the same issue. After a while, some of my 2.4GHz devices (one laptop and one tablet in particular) will not connect. 

On the android tablet I will SOMETIMES get "WLAN connection failure" but generally it will just say "connecting...." and then nothing. 

The laptop does the same thing, says "connecting" for a few seconds and then nothing. Simply will not connect and the ONLY solution is to reboot 3 or 4 times a day. 

Router logs show absolutely nothing.

Message 35 of 42
1wisedog
Aspirant

I have the same issue with 2.4Ghz, devices say invalid password or connection timedout, this has been an issue since the last 2 firmware updates. I have factory reset the router and it worked for 24 hours then stopped working  again, Netgear has arranged a replacement router, but if its firmware related cant see it making any difference, we will see.

Has anyone else had a replacement and found it to work OK?

Message 36 of 42
yalson
Star

Version .58 firmware now appears to be being user tested from Netgear.
Message 37 of 42
Saar
Aspirant

Hi 

Can you please share where version .58 can be downloaded?

At  Netgear's website, I can only find version .54...

Thank you

Message 38 of 42
CatzNZ
Aspirant

Same issue here, 2.4ghz boots all connected devices and denies access stating incorrect password on every attempt to connect.

No other issues are present and the few devices connected on the 5ghz side works fine.

This issue occurs periodically, usually sometime overnight and cant see any reported issues on the log.

VDSL doesn't like to be reset, it causes the exchange connection to think there is a fault with the connection and will reduce the connection synch rate and speed considerably.

Please Netgear, find a solution.

Message 39 of 42
CatzNZ
Aspirant

@CatzNZ wrote:

Same issue here, 2.4ghz boots all connected devices and denies access stating incorrect password on every attempt to connect.

No other issues are present and the few devices connected on the 5ghz side works fine.

This issue occurs periodically, usually sometime overnight and cant see any reported issues on the log.

VDSL doesn't like to be reset, it causes the exchange connection to think there is a fault with the connection and will reduce the connection synch rate and speed considerably.

Please Netgear, find a solution.

It's a shame we cannot edit our posts, I would just like to point out that the reboot of the router is currently the only solution to correct for the inability to connect to the 2.4ghz wifi.

As stated in my previous post, this is not desirable as it interferes with the VDSL synch rate performance etc....

Message 40 of 42
Janatar
Aspirant

On Netgenie on my pc I deleted my wifi connection and this got rid of my problem with my other devices dropping. My pc has a wired connection.

Message 41 of 42
qidelephant
Aspirant

Tried the default password?

I had this same problem - 5ghz works, 2.4ghz doesn't. However, when you reset the router, it works. Changing the 2.4ghz password prevents logging in. IOS devices say incorrect password. It seems to be retaining the default password from the reset, even if you change it (I like to have my own password).

So use the default password shown when you reset your router and see if that works for you. It has worked for me flawlessly.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7