Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 OpenVPN Server configuration issue - still open?

david128
Tutor

D7000 OpenVPN Server configuration issue - still open?

Is the openVPN issue still not resolved?

As raised in this post

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-OpenVPN-Server-configuration-issue/td-p/11... 

Apologies I couldn't update that post - I suspect it's closed now (it's been a few years)

It's exactly the issue I'm experiencing (I suspect others as well)

I'd really like to try to confirm if this is still an issue before I give up on this router

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
david128
Tutor

Re: D7000 OpenVPN Server configuration issue - still open?

ok - looks like I'm not going to get an answer to this, so giving up on openVPN on the D7000

I choose this router for the VPN feature, and very disappointed with the level of support for this device from Netgear - will think twice about anything from Netgear in future

I've installed openVPN on my synology NAS and it's working just as expected

(not that I'm that thrilled with Synology either - the DSM7 update is missing addons that I use, so will be staying on DSM6 - but the support is much better)

Message 2 of 8

@david128 wrote:

Is the openVPN issue still not resolved?

As raised in this post

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-OpenVPN-Server-configuration-issue/td-p/11... 

That is a long conversation that from five years ago.

Rather than expect people to read through that long saga, with lots of things going on, you might do better to start with a fresh post that explains your problem.

Go beyond the openVPN issue. Explain what you want to achieve with openVPN. Something to do with networked cameras?

People often turn up here with their idea of "the solution" – get openVPN to work – when they really need to ask how to get their cameras to cooperate.

Message 3 of 8

@david128 wrote:

I choose this router for the VPN feature...

The D7000 is a DSL modem/router. Is that how you are using it? Or is it just a router?

Message 4 of 8
david128
Tutor

Yep, I did do, and no joy on that either, hence why I hijacked a previous post (that described the same problem)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000V2-how-to-use-openvpn-on-android-to-access-...

Message 5 of 8
david128
Tutor

I am using it as a modem/router, but I believe the openVPN problem is directly related to the routing capability, not its functionality as a modem, so I didn't want to complicate the issue

Message 6 of 8

@david128 wrote:

I am using it as a modem/router, but I believe the openVPN problem is directly related to the routing capability, not its functionality as a modem, so I didn't want to complicate the issue

Good call.

I asked because there has been a spate of questions from people, mostly in Australia, who thought they were using a DSL modem/router as a modem router when it was in router mode.

I still don't know what the "problem" is. I skimmed the old conversation and its seemed to be about getting cameras to work on a network. This rarely needs a VPN. And things have moved on in the five years since it first came up here.

Message 7 of 8
david128
Tutor

Hi there

The problem is that when using TUN (only option with android openVPN client) there is no access to the local network that the router is on (TAP works as it's on the same subnet)

The old post identified a change in the D7000 firmware setup (they were given a 'test' version by netgear that resolved the issue)

I'm convinced that it did originally work for me, but I've updated the firmware several times, and don't recall the version I started with, and obviously no longer works (I really only use it when on holiday)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7