Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 QoS not working

David_g
Guide

D7000 QoS not working

Unfortunately I live in area with a limited ADSL service. We're talking around 3-4 Mb/s download and roughly 35-40 Kb/s upload. Luckily the connection is very stable, if slow.

In the house I have several devices, including 3 phones who need to synch their pictures, dropboxes, google drives and so on. Whenever a device is uploading something - anything really (synching, emailing a large attachement, uploading a file to a cloud service) all the other devices cannot use the internet because the upload link is saturaing the connection. I have done my research and understand why this happens and know it's unavoidable. This is becoming more and more of an issue because even if we can manage with the limites download bandwith, whenever someone is sending something, all the rest seems to stop. It's so bad that a windows 10 computer can think there is no internet connection at all, pages fail to load and so on.

I have looked for information on the internet, checked the manual and setup my D7000's QoS to give high priority to some devices, low to others and also set an uplink bandwith lower than the real value in hope that it would not allow any device to go over said value. Well, it's useless. It does work sometimes when streaming to a chromecast, but whenever a device uploads something everything freezes.

I know others have had similar problems and I imagine it's not a new thing considering a lot of people are using ADSLs. Does anyone know of a solution that actually works? Or am I doing something wrong with how I am setting up my QoS?

Thank you in advance for the help.

David

My QoS:

Cattura.PNG

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello David_g

I do not think you are doing anything wrong it just seems with your very limited upload speeds that even Qos is not going to help much.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
David_g
Guide

Hello Daren,

thank you for your reply. After reading several discussions on this board I found out that the D7000 is suffering from a bufferbloat issue that hasn't been fixed. Considering that, and Netgear's shameful customer support policy, I have decided to return the router to Amazon and switch to a different brand. In the meantime I'm using an older Netgear router that isn't affected by this problem and a saturated upload link is managed much better, without blocking completely the downstream.

David

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7