Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 ReadyShare Vault "Backup Drive Not Accessible" after Firmware update

dvd1812
Aspirant

D7000 ReadyShare Vault "Backup Drive Not Accessible" after Firmware update

I've been using ReadySHARE Vault on my NightHawk D7000 Modem-Router for about 4 months with no issues until 1-28-2019 after a firmware update to V1.0.1.70_1.0.1 when ReadyShare began noting: "Backup drive not accesible".  I see others have had this same issue earlier but the discussions are marked closed due to inactivity. As shown on the screenshots logging on to my D7000 as admin shows the U drive connected, the USB 2 light is lit, I have unplugged my Silicon Power 2TB USB drive and restarted the D7000 and my WIN 10 PC several times, with no joy.  I have not unistalled ReadySHARE yet, because I saw in "Programs & Features" that it was most recently installed on 1-26-2019 after a Windows 10 update. 

D7000 showing U drive connectedD7000 showing U drive connectedBackup drive not accessible - ReadySHARE.JPG

ReadySHARE install on Programs & FeaturesReadySHARE install on Programs & Features

Message 1 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Re: D7000 ReadyShare Vault "Backup Drive Not Accessible" after Firmware update

You need to roll back to the firmware that you were using before, the firmware V1.0.1.70 is screwed up.

I had the same happen, couldn't see the usb drive on the network so rolled back to V1.0.1.64.

See my post here ->  V1.0.1.70.1.0.1 doesn't allow usb drive to join network

Not the first time they've caused this problem. Absolutely lack of expertise on their part.

You'll get no help from Netgear, even their iPad apps don't work properly. I expect in some future update it will be fixed but as they never say in the update notes whats been fixed it's more like a game of russian roulett.

Message 2 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

Thanks, that was my suspicion.

I rolled the firmware back to V1.0.1.64 on my D7000 and I can now see Readyshare under "network", however ReadySHARE Vault still does not show the U drive, only the drives directly connected to my PC. And now Windows Credential Manager wants a password for READYSHARE, password sharing is turned off, none of my passwords work, not Windows (even after adding a password for my local account), not ReadyCLOUD, not D7000 admin. Restarted my PC several times with no joy. Went to Credentials Manager, edit, but its just a teaser, doesn't actually change the password. Complete mystery as to what password Credentials Manager is looking for.

Doug

Message 3 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

If your talking about a password request when accessing a share via windows it sounds like the password option in windows for sharing has been turned on some how. I know you say its off but I would check. I expect you know the following but in case you don't here it is.

If you have the network icon in the system tray, bottom right of the taskbar right click it, click on Open Network and Internet Settings, in the settings window right hand side find Network and Sharing Centre and click on it.

(If you don't have the network icon you can get to Network and Sharing Centre via the control panel using cortana to search for Control Panel.)

In the window that opens look at the left side and click Change advanced sharing settings.

In the next window that opens look for All Networks and click on the down arrow to expand it, scroll to the bottom and there is a option Password-protected sharing, make sure Turn on password-protected sharing isnt on, if it is just choose the off option.

While in this window check Network Discovery and File and printer sharing are set to on.

You may need to do a restart to take affect, it's also possible that it may revert, but thats a story for another day.

Another option may be to reset the router but save your settings first, but sounds like you cant login to your router either?

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

Yes, I had "password protected sharing" turned off. What is particularily agrivating is that  "Network Credentials" accepts none of my passwords so its a mystery what Windows wants. I went to Windows "Credentials Manager" which already had a Credential for READYSHARE but revising the password has no effect. I even deleted the Credential for READYSHARE restarted my PC, then added a new one without a password hit "save" and the original READYSHARE Credential with its mystery password reappeared.  I tried revising my D7000 admin password with no joy. I can acces the other PCs on my network with out the infernal Network Credentials popup. So somehow it is uniquley linked to READYSHARE. I need to more Web searching to fully understand how "Network Credentials" works and how to get arround it, but for now it appears to be truly Zombielike.  

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 5 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Just a thought can you create creditials for ReadyShare without putting in a password.

The only time I've had this sort of problem was with windows and it wouldn't let me access any shared folders.

I dont use readyshare backup, just access the usb drive on the network and have never had to setup any creditials.

As this seems to have happend after the firmware update I would be inclined to uninstall any netgear software, hard reset the router and start over. Netgear software seems to be absolutely rubbish going from my own experience.

Edit....

Just checked windows creditial manager and it does have one for readyshare , it was created when I redid the firmware.

Mine shows username as NNNN/admin

And pasword as ********  which I suspect maybe the router password

As I've never set this up it must come from the router.

Have you looked at the ready share page when you login to the router, make sure Admin Password Protection is turned off.

Message 6 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

I did update a firmware update to V1.0.1.68 before I reset the D700 to factory defaults, it asked if I wanted to go with V1.01.1.70 But I said 'ell no. So after it was up and running and I could see ReadySHARE again I found out that it is VERY bad juju to select "Admin Password Protection". Selecting it for both "Network Connection" and HTTP invokes Windows "Network Credentials" but the password is NOT the router login password. Selecting "Admin Password Protection" for just "Network Connection" lets you see the ReadySHARE U drive but selecting it throws the "You cannot access this share" message.

Message 7 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Just another thought, I'm sure I saw some one complain about V1.0.1.68 affecting readyshare, thats why I skipped it and tried the duff V1.0.1.70.

So I'm actually back on V1.0.1.64.

So do you use  "Admin Password Protection" for just "Network Connection" or are you saying if you dont have it set you can't see Readyshare?

Message 8 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

Selecting "Admin Password Protection" was the root cause of the "Network Credentials" issue, which for some reason does not recognize the router password, or any others for that matter. Unchecking "APP" and ReadySHARE is accessible without credentials. This was separate from the firmware version issue of ReadySHARE not visible in the network. Afterwards the only issue was that ReadyCLOUD showed the D7000 as offline. When I did a power cycle of the router last night, ReadySHARE disappeared again so I reset the router, reload ReadySHARE Vault and NETGEAR Genie all over again. ReadyCLOUD still shows the D7000 as "offline" but its working fine everywhere else.

So it appears I will need to roll back to V1.0.1.64, since .66-.70 seem to all have ReadySHARE issues.

Anyway thanks for hanging in there with me on this adventure. Reminds me of GM's response to Microsoft back in the 1990's about how cars weren't keeping pace with computers. "If cars behaved like computers (then, now they are) they would fail for no apparent reason and the only fix would be to remove and replace the engine and transmission and restart the car."

When I get this totally sorted and my D7000 is live on ReadyCLOUD I will post an "after action report" to the NETGEAR Community.

Message 9 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Glad you got there in the end. My rule of thumb with any of the firmware updates is to check the forums for complaints, try it if I cant find any and revert immediately to a version I know is ok if any problems arise. I've had this loss of Readyshare on the network problem twice.

I think with the ReadyCloud software to recognise the router again you may have to logout and back in, I had that problem.

I have the Netgear Genie app on my iPad which has now become totaly unusable due to a recent update.

I think Ready Cloud is virtually a waste of space because it won't play video live it has to download it which takes ages even on 70mbs and then decides it cant play the format.

Very dissapointed with Netgear software overall but then again I think this is what the world is coming to, very little pride in their work and the lack of expertise.

Message 10 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

I now have the D7000 plugged in to an "always on" outlet on my UPS, I realized that when I went back throught the router setup.
So ReadyCloud still shows my D7000 as offline, Iogging off an on the router doesn't have any effect. I have read many posts about "unregistering" routers then re-registering to get them back online, so far none have worked for me. There is a "Register" button is buried pretty deep on the D7000 genie: Advanced, USB Storage, ReadySHARE, then a ReadyCLOUD tab, but there is no visible "Unregister" tab unless you select "Register", wait 31 seconds for an "Unregister" button to flash by for a fraction of a second and mash the left mouse button just right. Amazingly after several trys I got an "Unregistered successully" message - but it was a teaser. Loging off the routere and back on and selecting "Register" again and "Unregister flashes by again" and I get "Registration failed"  Truly bizarre and ReadyCloud says D7000 is still offline. Any ideas about this behavior?

Message 11 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

Did you go back to V1.0.1.64?

I had your problem of it saying the router was off line. When I get to the ReadyCloud page I have unregister, I clicked that and indeed it changes to register when I click register I could change the details.

If it's registered it should show
This router is registered with the following ReadyCLOUD user myemail@hotmail.com
Click Unregister to register ReadyCLOUD with a different user.

I suspect a password problem again,  this was my problem.

Check to see if you can login to ReadyCloud on the web -> http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/welcome.html

Click on sign in at top right. If your you have the correct details it should go in to the page if not you should get username or password incorrect.

It seems like a conflict between what ReadyCloud stores on the web to what is on the router.

If all else fails I would try creating a new account using the link I've posted.

Message 12 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldigt,

Yes, I am back to V1.0.1.64_1.0.1, however it  behaves the same as .66 and .68 with the "Unregister" flashing by as I select "ReadyCloud" on the Basic or Advanced tabs using Mozzila Firefox (no way to capture this). I just tried MS Edge and cannot login to the router with either the IP or routerlogin.net, very strange. Yes, I can login to ReadyCLOUD on the web, I did not see an "unregister" but in "Manage" I found "Remove" which asked "Do you want to "unregister"?  I selected yes and now it says:  "Currently you have no registered or shared devices" as shown in the attachment.  So my D7000 seems to be in Register - Unregister limbo. I found another thread with almost exactly the same issue last year, with no resolution: "Can’t register my router to the ReadyCLOUD account. It registers but immediately unregisters" https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Cant-register-my-router-to-the-readyCLOUD-accoun...

Message 13 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

At the moment I can't think of anything more to try.

Netgear support is very bad, they want you to pay for help on somethng they have caused, absolutely pathetic.

I just had another update for the iPad Netgear Genie a week after the update that broke it so I though great they actually look at the reviews.

Shouldn't have got my hopes up as I still cannot enter a user name.

The level of expertise or quality control seems to be non-existent.

Message 14 of 16
dvd1812
Aspirant

ukoldgit,

This is truly amazing, somehow my router login switched to "recover admin password' mode while I was dinking around on the web. So I went ahead and ran with it, answered my security questions, my admin password is displayed, whcih I knew anyway, loged in to the router, went to ReadySHARE tab, ReadyCloud, selected "register" and voila "Registration completed sucessfully". Now there is an Unregister tab,

which I have never seen before on this page since this adventure began, maybe since I first set up the router.  So I logged back into ReadyCLOUD.netgear.com,  and my D7000 is back with the USB drive identifed but not the backup file, which is on ReadySHARE.  I suspect now that it will return after a restart or two.  Thanks again for hanging in there, some breakthroughs happen accidentally.

D7000 NETGEAR genie showing Registration completed sucessfully.JPG

Message 15 of 16
ukoldgit
Apprentice

However it happened just be thankful it did.

I think the moral of the story for anyone reading this thread is be very wary of updating the firmware, check the forums first for problems but I expect we will be walking down the same road again sometime because you always hope that a update will make it better not worse

It's high time Netgear acknowledge the problems they've caused and mention if they've been fixed in future update notes.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7